Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: well courtesy of a BBP member and friend
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

thumbup.gif posted on 8-28-2008 at 12:29 PM
well courtesy of a BBP member and friend

who also checks in here on occasion i just finished a 2 day read of Lou Federico's great life story featuring his adventures flying and building resorts in mulege and chivato.

this is one of the best books i have read regardless of (baja) topic. I know some contemporaries of those times say he embellishes many of the tales - so what? he was 76 or so when he laid it down. I think Don Jimmy twisted his yarns a bit too. made for classically entertaining prose.
he writes in the style of the old Argosy magazine travel and adventure stock - you older guys remember that periodical? published when men were men, there was no "political correct" crap to deal with - you called it like it was and if someone didn't like it they challenged you face to face for a little smash mouth if that's what settled it!;)

so for you history buffs who are looking for something that reads with more intensity than some of the more tame factoid laced reports of life and times along the Camino Real ante 1971, this book is highly recommended. most fun i have had with a baja read since Fred Hoctor's classic. and that one was hilarious.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2008 at 12:43 PM

How did I miss the name of the book?

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 8-28-2008 at 02:03 PM

one hell of a ride. 2004.

one disappointment - he talks nothing more about Chivato after he is ARRESTED and taken to la paz then mexico city before being let loose to return to San francisco.
so - with Dixon out and Galloway left with title to the Aero Club, who took over the Chivato and when? does this start the Bill Alvarado days and how did the titles change?

i'd like to know more about the Chivato operations from 1968 on.
perhaps Pompano can chime in here. he knows a lot of the history and players.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
dao45
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2008 at 06:44 PM

+right I know there isnt anyone on this forum who has embellished a tale or tail for that matter
Vince
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2008 at 11:18 AM

I went to Chivato the first time soon after it was built, this was by boat in about '63. Didn't meet the owner then. Then many times while fishing out of Mulege we would stop there for lunch, met Bill Alvarado. He seemed like a fine, congenial owner. Anxious to keep everyone happy. One day about 10 years ago I was piloting a C-182 to Serenedad. Upon arrival there was a huge thunderstorm dumping rain on the airstrip there, so we diverted to Punta Chivato to spent the night. I asked if they had airconditioning in the rooms and they said "si, como no". It was a hot August day, and yes, there was airconditioning in every room, but still in the crates. They were in the middle of a remodel. It has never been the same since then, in my opinion. Overpriced and under friendly. We spent a hot night sleeping on the patio and flew on the Serenedad the next AM. It has always been a great place to stop in for lunch after fishing.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.