Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Differences between Baja Sur beach towns
rogerj1
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2004 at 07:15 AM
Differences between Baja Sur beach towns

I'm looking into buying a condo, small house or lot somewhere in Baja Sur. I've been to Cabo recently and to La Paz many years ago when I was a college student. I'd consider anywhere along the Sea of Cortez as far North as Loreto. The new development called Loreto Bay looks promising. I have a few questions.

Is there enough variation in the weather between Loreto, La Paz, and Los Cabos to choose one over the other?

Same question for the beaches. How do they differ as you move up North along the coast?

I'm planning on making a trip sometime later this year, taking my time exploring different areas.

[Edited on 5-8-2004 by rogerj1]
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 5-7-2004 at 07:30 AM
Loreto Bay/Nopolo

Hi Rogerj1. There is a condo project at Loreto Bay in which there are to be two buildings. Each 12 condo's. Unit #1 is done & about sold out. I'm told unit #2 about to start. I've met some of the owners. Great folks. One from San Francisico, another from southern California. Ten units sold from that phase, last I heard. Look them up at puntanopolo.com Read all the info. Great spot. You'd love it!
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2004 at 08:31 AM

Don't waste your time waiting for Loretobay. Overpriced too.
tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 5-7-2004 at 08:42 AM

As most will tell you it will become a decision of what you desire. If you are interested in Los Angeles South, Cabo is the only choice. If you want a larger Mexican culture/experience with easy in/out of country access, La Paz is the best fit. Lastly, if you want a nice mid sized town (Baja terms), with adequate in/out service, Loreto is the place. But the bottom line is unless you just have too much money under your control....visit them all more than once and ideally for multiple weeks. Be also clear is it your desire related to location within the cities...in all 3 locations, you could end up in areas that essentially are all americans...again, a personal choice.
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 5-7-2004 at 09:03 AM
your weather question

it has been my experence that when it is HOT along the gulf coast you simply drive to the Pacific coast to cool off. so if it is 100 degrees at La Paz it is usually 10 degrees less at Cabo San Lucas...

I hear the whales song
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2004 at 11:28 AM

I have been around Loreto since 1968,living there full time for 18 years.Moving back to the States 3 years ago, My wife and I did a survey, thinking about where we would live in Baja sur,if we had not chosen to return to the States as follows:

La Ventana #1
Why:
Close to some of the best fishing in the World.
Cl;ose to La Paz, with lots of good shopping,Food,culture,Air Flights,and Tourists are not over visable except on the Malacon.
Weather is more Humid than loreto ,more often you will have afternoon Thunder showers

Loreto was small years back and then Grew rapidly,shing away from a fishing Village and becoming a retirement place where afternoon Drinking is the only outlet for many>

Loreto has the most variety of Fishing but you have to go out about 18 miles to get into the good Fishing, shopping is limited,air Service is Limited,.

I would Live in La Paz as a second choice to La Ventana{Fishing}It is Capitol city, Attornys, Notoaria, etc.

So all the above said, if My wife and and I went back to Baja we would go to La Ventana for the Fish, La Paz for the Culture and shopping>

Skeet/Loreto
"In God We Trust"
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2004 at 12:49 AM
There's one thing I'd agree with Skeet on.

The La Ventana and Los Barriles areas are a good mid point between Cabo and La Paz. But, although you probably don't want to hear it, I recommend renting instead of buying. Why get stuck in one place when you can live in any part of Baja at your whim when you lease and not have to deal with beurocracy and taxes? Just my two cents. - Stephanie

[Edited on 5-9-2004 by Stephanie Jackter]

When the goin' gets tough, the wierd turn pro

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.