Author: Subject: Flight Planning
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 9-17-2008 at 09:41 PM
Flight Planning

Check this out:
http://www.fallingrain.com/apts/4015.html

[Edited on 9-18-2008 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 9-17-2008 at 09:46 PM

Here's another:
http://www.fallingrain.com/icao/MMES.html

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 9-17-2008 at 11:00 PM

So it looks like 421 Statute Miles from Brown Field in San Diego to Bahia Asuncion.
About 364 Statute Miles for Ensenada to B. Asuncion.
I'll be flying my PA32-300 on Friday for a few hours so I should have a good feel for it's performance and fuel consumption.
So my info is that the fishing in B. Asuncion will continue to get even better for the next couple of months. So if anyone wants to fly down for some fishing please send me a U2U.

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 9-18-2008 at 05:55 AM

good flights, make it happen.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 9-18-2008 at 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
Check this out:
http://www.fallingrain.com/apts/4015.html

[Edited on 9-18-2008 by fishbuck]

If you type in MMES in the box that has KPOA it gives a map with the course line and distance. Also long and lat.

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2008 at 02:46 PM

you need to buy RMS Tech's flitesoft if you really want a decent flight planner.

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 9-18-2008 at 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
you need to buy RMS Tech's flitesoft if you really want a decent flight planner.

Ya, but this one is free!

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-18-2008 at 04:09 PM

sheez, i'm starting to second guess my first thought about a trip about fishbuckle airlines. flight planning is pretty important, no? so you're squeezing pennies to afford more avgas by using something free? am i missing something here:?:?????

i've heard a thousand times, "you get what you pay for".

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 9-18-2008 at 04:21 PM

Flying in Baja ain't rocket science! Plus I will back up the info with my plotter and WAC chart. That's low tech but still works just fine. Plus the plane has a Garmin 430 GPS.
This is all day VFR flying in the lowest density airspace in the world. It doesn't get any easier.
Tomorrow I will need to demonstrate my ability to fly through thr VFR corridor over the top of Lindburg Field. Some of the highest density airspace in the world. But no big deal really, just alot of radio work and making sure you don't violate controlled airspace.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2008 at 04:28 PM

Quote:
Flying in Baja ain't rocket science!

Flew over lots of it in the sixties and the pilot used a AAA road map to orient himself. It worked for him, and me.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 9-18-2008 at 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Flying in Baja ain't rocket science!

Flew over lots of it in the sixties and the pilot used a AAA road map to orient himself. It worked for him, and me.

Ya, the AAA map has better landmark info than the WAC chart.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 9-18-2008 at 10:12 PM

Well, all my little resources I have found are helping me to calculate the flight.
It looks like 422 Statute miles. Based on the performance data I have found it looks like the plane will fly at 168mph at cruise speed. That's usually based on a new plane just out the factory door. But it should be close.
So I'm estimating that a flight to B. Asuncion will cost about $175/person split 4 ways. There are some other expences such as insurance and landing fees that will be about 25-50 per person.
The flight should be about 2.5 hours each way. A bit quicker than driving.:yes:

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2008 at 06:34 AM

Bucky - one of my good friends here in PHX is also a sams pilot and freelance full time CFII.
he owned a 6 for years and flew it all over baja. PA 32 260
if you think you'll get anywhere close to 168 mph fully loaded you are dreaming my friend. and if it is a 300 all that does is climb better and use more gas to not go any faster in cruise.
but for a hauler it can't be beat.
i'd recheck the times en route tho if you're budgeting hobbs $$s.
he got about 125 kts at best when stuffed to the gills.

and as far as free vs. paid for FP software - no question you get what you pay for. i love my program for what it can do no matter what the mission.

all you really need tho as FB says is your brain, a chart and a stop watch - if you can't safely do VFR in baja with just those tools you have no biz in the air!

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 9-19-2008 at 08:42 AM

Ya, Cap 125kts sounds about right. But I'll know later today after I fly it.
The instructor told me about 150mph. That's the number I'll flight plan with. I've flown this type quite a bit but just don't remember how it trues out.
My dad who was a high time pro told me the book performance is usually off by about 15% and to plan accordingly.
I always plan a safety margin in anyway. Like any good pilot does.
The Garmin 430 looks like a fun little toy. I downloaded the AOPA user guide last night and studied it some. Looks easy to use too.
All the other Pa32-300's I used were just basic VFR airplanes. One had a DME and that was very useful. But for the most part it's just looking out the window flying anyway.
I'm thinking Brown to San Felipe going south and Ensenada on the way home. Ensenada both ways looks like it pushes the range a little too close. Plus there is never any marine layer at MMSF. So as soon as Brown is clear we can go. Maybe even Special VRF to get out.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.