Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja Article in National Geographic Traveler Mag. Nov issue
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2008 at 07:50 PM
Baja Article in National Geographic Traveler Mag. Nov issue

http://traveler.nationalgeographic.com/2008/11/feature/baja-...

There will be a map insert in the paper version.

[Edited on 10-25-2008 by bajajudy]

tjBill
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2008 at 09:29 PM

Nice nine page article.

Its good to know the Bahía de Los ángeles will remain the same.
duke62
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2008 at 11:58 PM

Thanks for the article. A cautionary tale.
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 10-25-2008 at 06:33 AM

Thank's for the article.

Very informative .

CaboRon

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 10-25-2008 at 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
http://traveler.nationalgeographic.com/2008/11/feature/baja-...

There will be a map insert in the paper version.

[Edited on 10-25-2008 by bajajudy]

thanks Judy, I wouldn't have been aware of this unless you posted it. I was a member of national geographic for many years but let my subscription lapse a couple of years ago. i wrote at least three times to them to consider this very subject and now they did! and look at the leading image! this is the epitomy of what is taking place in the baja. I think I will renew my membership now! the economy id having a negative impact on developers plans and many will fail but it gives us citizens time to rethink our stratigies to preserve our quality of life.

for lovers of Loreto a new and highly recommended environmental group-

http://www.ecoalianzaloreto.org

we are lucky to have them here!
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2008 at 01:43 PM

Unfortunately, the most uplifting part of the story, the last segment about Danzante Resort, is out of date.

That resort, along with much of the surrounding area, has been sold to the Villas Group time share developers. Operations are underway to make this perhaps a larger development than Loreto Bay, without even LB's pretense at "sustainability."
marv sherrill
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2008 at 06:52 PM

thanks for the link Judy - As my lease is with Raul Espinosa, I can espress my gratitude for his perseverence in preserving the true character of Bahia that keeps us coming back year after year!!!
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2008 at 08:53 AM

"We have to make this work," Clark says. "In the end it's all about caring. It's about love."
Barf.
And as to Eco Alianza, their first priority is raising over a million dollars for a building for their organization. Umm, I don't think I ever encountered that rationalization before in a non-profit - where a million dollars would be spent on administration and very little on "programs." And why the F__ would you need a million dollars for the construction of a building for their organization anyway? Even in the US, it should only cost about $150,000 for a nice sized office building. I guess it will have an aquaduct and a golf course. And Mark Spalding on the Board of Advisors. Maybe Eco Alianza is just a front for shifting LB Foundation money. BTW, Mr. Spalding, where's the 2007 LB Fundation annual report?
BajaRacer420

[*] posted on 8-8-2009 at 12:30 PM

i hope baja stays the same, it would be a shame for baja to be develop thanks for the link
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-8-2009 at 12:52 PM

I subscribe to the National G., have been reading 'em since I was a kid. The current articles/letters etc. are depressing. They've drifted over into a politically driven rag.
Baja12valve
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2009 at 01:42 PM

At the end of the article they mention Danzante, a eco-resort 12 miles South of Loreto. Look it up on the web, you will see that the owners have lost the battle with developers who have bought up all the surrounding land. As a reslult, they have had to sell their land and resort for a mega project to be built by them. You know, hotels, golf, the usual. Another piece of Baja, gone.
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2009 at 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
"We have to make this work," Clark says. "In the end it's all about caring. It's about love."
Barf.
And as to Eco Alianza, their first priority is raising over a million dollars for a building for their organization. Umm, I don't think I ever encountered that rationalization before in a non-profit - where a million dollars would be spent on administration and very little on "programs." And why the F__ would you need a million dollars for the construction of a building for their organization anyway? Even in the US, it should only cost about $150,000 for a nice sized office building. I guess it will have an aquaduct and a golf course. And Mark Spalding on the Board of Advisors. Maybe Eco Alianza is just a front for shifting LB Foundation money. BTW, Mr. Spalding, where's the 2007 LB Fundation annual report?

I did some digging:

Eco- Alianza de Loreto, A.C.
3419 Via Lido, Ste. 637
Newport Beach CA 92663

L L S Inc (Kinninger & Associates)
Linda Kinninger is a founder Eco-Alianza, she's an interior designer
3419 Via Lido Ste 637
Newport Beach, CA 92663

Hugo Quintero, President
Eco Alianza Loreto A.C.

Owner
3 Distinctive Design + Development

Our Company is Distributor-Builder of the Tridipanel Construction System for the area of Loreto Baja California Sur, Mexico. Tridipanel is a Structural Insulated Concrete Panel, manufactured with recycled polystyrene, integrated with other building materials we can help you build a energy efficient and sustainable home in baja Mexico.

FWIW
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2009 at 10:12 AM

For the record (original post is 10 months old), I am wholly in support of Eco Alianza and have learned much about their hardworking board members and advisors. They have proven to be very effective and are impacting the town's views on many fronts, to the benefit of the citizens and their future.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.