BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: What are your opinions on Narco Corridos [Drug Ballads]?
LOSARIPES
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2008 at 03:09 AM

NO need to have any. One can hear this noise anywhere one goes: Stores, taxi cabs, local parties, restaurants, the neighbor, etc. .... even at home, when a retard parks his car in front of your house all night long..... till 3am... free music for all !! why buy?... amongs other "balads", last night, I had to repeatedly listen to songs like: Hace un mes que no baila el muneco (Its been a month since "dolly" last danced), No te metas con mi cucu (Don't you mess with my cucu), Hijos de la (?) (Sons of b-tches), and something about taming a worm by sitting on it... really stupid lyrics. The guys and girls sang along, danced, drank and had lots of noisy fun. Different strokes, for different folks I guess....

Aripes
God bless America
and Baja tambien
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

thumbup.gif posted on 11-10-2008 at 07:35 AM
That's what parties are made of!!

Quote:
Originally posted by LOSARIPESlast night, I had to repeatedly listen to songs like: Hace un mes que no baila el muneco (Its been a month since "dolly" last danced), No te metas con mi cucu (Don't you mess with my cucu), Hijos de la (?) (Sons of b-tches), and something about taming a worm by sitting on it... really stupid lyrics. The guys and girls sang along, danced, drank and had lots of noisy fun. Different strokes, for different folks I guess....

Here in my neighborhood, mostly retirees and young families predominate, and its sterile/quiet. The only noise comes from the train crossing 1 mile away and a little noise from the 91 freeway a couple of blocks away too. Sometimes I miss the liveliness of Tijuana, and I go there to hear the sounds of Latin America. :bounce:

Eugenio
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2008 at 11:33 AM

Ken - with all due respect - try living in a middle class neighborhood in Tijuana for a couple of years and then see how you enjoy the "liviliness".

When I lived in Mexicali I got up every morning about 3am because I wanted to get things done before the heat set in. There were nights when I didn't sleep at all because some group decided to share their damned music until the sun came up - that happened a couple nights a week on average. Try politely asking them to go elsewhere at 1 or 2 am. Now that a lively situation.

Trust me - you'll have a whole different perspective on Mexico if you try to work/make a living/raise a family there. No offense - just my 2 cents.

btw - why did you post this under political? - just curious....
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2008 at 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Eugenio
Ken - with all due respect - try living in a middle class neighborhood in Tijuana for a couple of years and then see how you enjoy the "liviliness".

When I lived in Mexicali I got up every morning about 3am because I wanted to get things done before the heat set in. There were nights when I didn't sleep at all because some group decided to share their damned music until the sun came up - that happened a couple nights a week on average. Try politely asking them to go elsewhere at 1 or 2 am. Now that a lively situation.

Political - because of all of the political implications this music is currently tied to. For one, you don't hear this on the radio in Mexico now.

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 11-10-2008 at 03:21 PM

Music is something to be enjoyed, not analyzed. Politics? :spingrin: Jeez! Have had an overdose of politics.;)
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2008 at 03:44 PM
Political implications run throughout this genre -- for good reason.

Mexico's forbidden songs
by Chris Summers and Dominic Bailey
BBC News Online

Can a musical genre be considered so dangerous as to be banned from the radio? Yes, according to the authorities in some parts of Mexico who have forced radio stations to take action in an attempt to stamp out the culture of "narco corridos", which they accuse of glamorising drug trafficking and gangsterism.

Corridos, or ballads, have been a Mexican tradition - especially in the north of the country - for at least 100 years.

The songs, based on polkas and waltzes, feature lyrics backed by accordions and brass bands.

The Mexican Revolution, which lasted from 1910 to 1917, triggered hundreds of corridos about legendary figures such as Pancho Villa and Emiliano Zapata.

But over the past 30 years the biggest growth area has been the narco corridos, which are based on the real lives of drug smugglers.

Among those heavily featured are the Arellano-Felix brothers, who ran a drugs cartel in the border city of Tijuana, and their arch-rival Amado Carrillo Fuentes, aka Lord Of The Skies, who was based in another frontier town, Ciudad Juarez.

Elijah Wald, a former blues guitarist who has written a book on narco corridos, told BBC News Online: "The first thing a drug runner would do after a successful run was to hire someone to write a corrido about it."

Corrido performers normally charge thousands of dollars, or tens of thousands of pesos, to write and perform such a piece.

Mr Wald said: "I spoke to one corrido writer who wanted to be smuggled into the US. The smuggler would normally charge $1,500 but he did it for free provided the writer wrote a corrido about it."

Also popular are immigration corridos, such as Tres Veces Mojado (Three Times A *******) which was also made into a movie.

Mr Wald said most narco corrido writers and performers would deny writing bespoke songs for the drug barons.

"I asked one of the most well known, Reynaldo Martinez, if he wrote corridos for hire. He said 'No, but sometimes someone who likes one of my songs might give me a Land Rover.'

Mr Wald said: "Los Tigres del Norte are the kings of the kings and I would be surprised if they had ever taken any money."

Corridos, and narco corridos, were now "ubiquitous" in Mexico and had spread to California, Texas, Florida and other places with large Hispanic populations, according to Mr Wald.

They have also become popular in Colombia and in other parts of central America, such as El Salvador.

In the US the market for Mexican regional music, including narco corridos, is worth about $300m a year, with Los Angeles being the hub of the narco corrido industry. Los Tigres' most recent album sold nearly 500,000 copies in the US alone.

Two of the newest stars, Lupillo Rivera and Jessie Morales, sport the shaven heads and jewellery fashionable with Hispanic gang members in East LA.

While gangsta rap has Tupac Shakur, narco corrido has Rosalino "Chalino" Sanchez, who was murdered in Culiacan, the capital of the chaotic state of Sinaloa in May 1992. He had earlier been involved in a shoot-out with a gunman at a gig.

Mariluz Gonzalez, a spokeswoman for LA-based Fonovisa Records, which represents Los Tigres and several other narco corrido stars, said: "They are not glamorising the drug dealers' lives, they are simply telling a story. They are not promoting it."

But the Mexican authorities, appalled at what they see as the glamorising of drug smugglers and gangsters, have sought to ban the genre. The Federal Communications Commission has also taken action against several Spanish-language radio stations in the US.

The Mexican Senate, unable to act itself because of freedom of speech legislation, exhorted individual states to restrict narco corridos, saying the songs "create a virtual justification for drug traffickers".

Since 2001 several Mexican states have negotiated "voluntary" bans with local radio stations in an attempt to keep narco corridos off the airwaves.

'Bad example'

Mario Enrique Mayans Concha, president of the Baja California branch of Mexico's Chamber of Radio and Television Industry, said: "Narco-ballads set a bad example for the younger generation."

Antonio Mejias-Rentas, entertainment editor with the Los Angeles-based La Opinion newspaper, said: "There is a mixed feeling about them in the Mexican community; while there is an appreciation for the art form, there is also concern about the glorification of violence and drug consumption, much like in the gangsta rap world."

He said Los Tigres were generally well-regarded, adding: "Some of their narco-themed songs are regarded as classics, but lately they are better known for songs about immigration and other social concerns."

Fonovisa's Mariluz Gonzalez said: "Corridos are a tradition that has been going since the Mexican Revolution.

"They are a way of telling the people what is going on. It might be the truth or it could be twisted, you can't really tell."

She admitted: "There are some groups who have taken money and glorified these narcos."

But she said the Mexican authorities had often taken action as a way of muffling criticism.

"The Tigres put out a song earlier this year called Las Mujeres del Juarez which was about the murders of women in Ciudad Juarez, which is a very controversial subject, and the local government did not like it."

Despite being banned from the airwaves on both sides of the border narco corrido artists continue to sell well, Ms Gonzalez said.

LOSARIPES
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2008 at 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:
Originally posted by LOSARIPESlast night, I had to repeatedly listen to songs like: Hace un mes que no baila el muneco (Its been a month since "dolly" last danced), No te metas con mi cucu (Don't you mess with my cucu), Hijos de la (?) (Sons of b-tches), and something about taming a worm by sitting on it... really stupid lyrics. The guys and girls sang along, danced, drank and had lots of noisy fun. Different strokes, for different folks I guess....

Here in my neighborhood, mostly retirees and young families predominate, and its sterile/quiet. The only noise comes from the train crossing 1 mile away and a little noise from the 91 freeway a couple of blocks away too. Sometimes I miss the liveliness of Tijuana, and I go there to hear the sounds of Latin America. :bounce:

Yes, that's what parties are all about. Lots of fun, but not on my face (when I am not and don't want to be invited) and not when I want and need to sleep...
It is an invasion. It is an aggression. These young punks proudly exhibit a total lack of respect and consideration. I just don't see how anyone could sympathize with these retards.... ok I will chill out.... its just that I have not had enough sleep lately. I will get over....

Aripes
God bless America
and Baja tambien
Eugenio
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2008 at 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:
Originally posted by Eugenio

Political - because of all of the political implications this music is currently tied to. For one, you don't hear this on the radio in Mexico now.

Oh - ok - from your first post I thought you just wanted opinions on the music. I guess I don't see the political angle - as much as a taste/cultural/or maybe educational one.

Narcocorridos have been banned in the past - mostly voluntarily - with "encouragement" from the government - but it has never stuck. I sense a different feeling of mexicans toward nacrcocorridos now - especially among women - after all that Mexico has suffered in the past year especially - I think there is a genuine dislike/disgust with the words of the music - but other types of corridos are still about as popular as in the past.

I think they used to be a way of kind of tweeking Uncle Sam - or the US - and that's always good sport in Mexico - but now with the destruction that the narcos are wreaking there there's a different feeling.

Just my perspective.
LOSARIPES
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2008 at 03:50 AM

Corridos, as they were originally conceived are nice, fun and make you feel good. Its like a hero's tale.
They have now corrupted their essence, using them for drug cartels messaging, and to broadcast their victories over this or that. The old corridos (Tony Aguilar, Jose Alfredo Jimenez"s and others) are very nice, very Mexican, telling of the Mexican way.

Aripes
God bless America
and Baja tambien
luv2fish
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2014 at 04:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by geobas  
I listened to the video. In my opinion he was not shot to stop him from singing about narcos, but to just stop him from singing. Boy, he is really bad, and so in the band.

And only a pimp would have a chrome plated pistol with pearl grips and keep his finger on the trigger while he was waving it.

Just found this, Chalino, like most from Sinn-aloa had murdered and dealt drugs. Also his son "Chalinillo" was killed in a suspicious accident while on tour in the state of Sinaloa.

http://www.policemag.com/blog/gangs/story/2008/12/chalino-sa...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad%C3%A1n_S%C3%A1nchez

UNA MAS CERVEZA PORFAVOR, CON 5 TACOS DE TIBURON..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdXKHaeBGsI
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 12-28-2014 at 10:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LOSARIPES  
The "corridos" sing about a major event, people, horses. They make you remember, exalting the values (if any) of this or that. In many cases, they exploit the people's predisposition against the government and support the individuals portrayed elevating them to hero status.
The music is regional and as such, its quality is of of relative value within their genre. It may be good within its own little world. Outside of it, it just can't compete.
The image of the singer Chalino, believe it or not, is the prototype of many, way too many young mexican kids out there who play and sing his songs.
It is sad to see how this "cultural movement" has gained so much acceptance, supporting and admiring drug traffickers and outlaws. I guess it speaks of how Mexicans feel about their authority reps.

As I recall there were many ballads about our soldiers and the war in Vietnam but most of them, like the Ballad of the Green Beret were positive.

There are more than 300 songs on a new 13-CD box set titled Next Stop Is Vietnam. They range from a folk ballad released just before U.S. troops landed to a 2008 song about the aftereffects that veterans still suffer.

Hugo Keesing put the collection together. It's a project he's worked on since the early 1970s, when he taught psychology courses to U.S. troops a few hundred miles up the coast from Saigon.

http://www.npr.org/2010/11/11/131242902/-next-stop-is-vietnam-a-war-in-song

Bob Durrell
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.