Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Very practical camping accessory
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 10:31 AM
Very practical camping accessory

http://www.thebrowncorporation.com/

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 10:41 AM

I like the step by step instructions on how it works!

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 11:36 AM

That's a pretty significant price for a piece of folded cardboard. I recommend researching a vintage book by a guy named Papanek (if I remember correctly). It was called Nomadic Furniture and had a lot of information on how to fold and slot cardboard for structural purposes. I like the idea of the folded size. As an elder I like having a place to park it, when it must be parked behind a bush. :lol:

[Edited on 11-4-2008 by vgabndo]

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Lauriboats
Senior Nomad

Mood: Loving life in Baja

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 11:52 AM

Thanks, I think I'll pass on this one.

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 03:50 PM

that doesn't look very green:lol: I like a 5 gal plastic bucket:lol:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 04:01 PM

Looks a little pricey for a doo-doo box. Looks like it would be about $30.00 US, plus shipping from Great Britain.
It's reasonably good idea, however, if camping out of a tent or a Westy.
We'll leave it up to your imagination as to where to dispose the bag.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 05:11 PM

I wonder how much weight the $h*! box can hold before it crashes down with it's customer perched on top? :O

A good thing about it is that one could burn it when finished with it.

I think I prefer our luggable loo. This handy-dandy plastic thingie snaps right on top of any 5 gal bucket, insert trash/grocery bag and you're set to "go".

Dern did see another model, it's a seat that plugs into the receiving hitch on the back of a truck...I guess you would sit and "go" then get in the driver's seat and drive in reverse a few feet and repeat the process when necessary?

Hmmm. Still stickin' with my L.L.

P<*)))>{

[Edited on 5-11-2008 by Paulina]

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 05:30 PM

Found it. "The Bumper Dumper" :light:

[Edited on 5-11-2008 by Paulina]

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
bajapablo
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 08:10 PM
The Groover

That Which Grooves One's Bottom

In river rafting terminology, a "groover" is a rocket box which serves as a latrine. The name comes from the grooves you get on your thighs and buttocks when you sit on the thin metal rim of the box to make your deposit. (Nowadays, most people pack a toilet seat for increased comfort, but the name remains.) Thus, on a river trip you go to the groover to groove.
NOTE: DON'T PEE IN THE GROOVER! Your guide will explain the details, but basically the groover is for poop only. Toilet paper goes in the paper bag next to the groover, and pee goes where the ranger tells you: in the river or in the bushes, depending on the river.
SETTING UP THE GROOVER

Please follow these guidelines and we will all be happy.
Location, Location, Location. Choose a spot for the groover that is downwind of camp, if you can. It should be easy for a drunken rafter to find in the dark, but screened from view. BONUS POINTS: a good view of the river, without being visible to passing rafts.
Accessories A complete groover installation includes toilet paper, a bag for the used TP, soap, a wash bucket with a foot pump, and a container of dry bleach. On a deluxe trip with friends, I like to add a group journal and pen, and a copy of the National Enquirer.
Installation Make sure the groover is stable and level(prop it up with rocks if you need to). Open the box and sprinkle in some dry bleach. Attach the toilet seat. Set out the TP, soap and water--leave the TP in the ziploc bag in case of rain. On your way back to camp, put a paddle accross the path where it can be seen from camp. Let people know where the groover and the paddle are.
Usage If you can't see the paddle on your way to the groover, someone is already using it. You can call out to them if you like -- occasionally forget to replace the paddle on the path. Veddy bad form, old sport. If the paddle is there, grab it and proceed to the groover. (And don't forget to bring it back! It's the essential communications device for the Global Groover Network.)
While you're grooving, write in the journal! If the groover is super full, you can lift and drop it a time or two to compact things-- this means that Somebody Else will have to deal with starting a new rocket box. If things are pretty gnarly, sprinkle some powdered bleach on there. Make sure to put the TP back in the plastic bag if it looks like rain. WASH YOUR HANDS!
After Your Groove Be sure to tell everyone how things went. We're interested. If it was good, just smile. If you think you're getting a GI bug, for god sakes tell us so that we can all wash our hands even more, and make sure that you do.

SmokeyBarnable's excellent write-up leaves out a couple of details I'd like to add.

First of all, in case you're curious as to why people don't just dig holes in the ground and defecate into them, it's usually because that particular piece of land sees way too many visitors to process all that excrement naturally. Rafting enthusiasts encounter these situations more often than most, since they're all going to stop at more or less the same spots along the river to eat, crap, and sleep. Packing out everything (including feces) substantially reduces the environmental impact on these heavily used campsites.

In addition to the toilet seat upgrade, groovers have evolved past the rocket box into some relatively luxurious models. In his book, Up chit Creek : A Collection of Horrifyingly True Wilderness Toilet Misadventures, author Joe Lindsay describes the Jon-ny Partner and a deluxe groover nicknamed the Millenium Falcon, both of which are made of stainless steel and allow easy access for bag changes. Even with lesser models though, the telltale groove marks that gave the groover its name are largely a thing of the past.

\"changes it lattitudes, changes in attitudes\"
J.Buffet
BajaNuts
Super Nomad

Mood: no worry, no hurry....it's all good!

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 11:05 PM

on the trailer hitch version, why is there a bag????? If the vehicle is progressing at an acceptable rate of speed while functions are being performed,.....there should be no need for the bag?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:
BajaNuts
Super Nomad

Mood: no worry, no hurry....it's all good!

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 11:15 PM

but seriously. there is a book about this...
http://www.amazon.com/How-chit-Woods-Environmentally-Approac...

I have read the book, and it is a serious discussion of how to poo and even covers topics about sea kayaks -vs- whale poo.

It does offer real tips for how to deal with poo on the terra-firma.

And for what it's worth, we have neighbors in WA state who live off the grid and poo in a 5-gal bucket and layer with sawdust as their full time potty. Not an endorsement for this kind of poo-treatement, just a nod that there are other lifestyles that.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11-5-2008 at 12:09 AM

Now if we can just get all these darn cows, sheep, horses, gerbils, aardvarks, manatees, seagulls and such to use them. And who is responsible for those damn caca-throwing monkeys?...well, that's another story. I envision a world diaper.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2008 at 10:47 AM

This is PERFECT for professional golf tournaments when I go to watch. Don't have lose my viewing spot and it is also a stool, or give a stool, whatever you like. Love it!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.