Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Origin of US-California
Speedy Gonzalez

[*] posted on 5-21-2004 at 09:11 AM
Origin of US-California

In another thread I found this interesting sentence from David K:

"From a California-American (who loves Baja history) point of view: The school books and tourist guides barely mention the origins of California being in Baja. If you didn't do a little research, you might think San Diego de Alcala was California's first mission, and the El Camino Real started in San Diego and went north to San Francisco."

Why do you think do many school books or tourist guides from the US not mention that the origin of US-California is in Loreto/Mexico?

[Edited on 5-21-2004 by Speedy Gonzalez]
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2004 at 10:18 AM
answer to question

I was born and educated in the public schools in California. THe 4th grade is where California children first learn about the missions and California history. When I went through the public schools in the early 1960s, the book used focused exclusively on California and the California missions. Had more to do with the ignorance of the people who wrote those books. I don't know the story today.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2004 at 10:28 AM

In my opinion, someone trying to pretend like they are an expert on something should at least know all the facts. This includes the history of another country.
When I went to school, they taught me that Indians were savages in the u.s.history books. I learned from that to not put much faith in what the history books have to say. Especially when trying to become an expert on something.
Now, someone who is trying to write the history of Mexico that doesn't speak Spanish seems a little odd to me. There is a whole Museum and libraries everywhere that have the history of Mexico in them. Written in Spanish, this being Mexico.
If I take into consideration the "mistakes" made in the u.s.history books and perhaps the Mexican ones as well, it still seems that there would be some pertinent information in those Mexican books involving their history.
And without knowing what they say, or at least their ideas, however inaccurate they may be, you haven't heard all the facts and information.
Similar to the maps and guidebooks now being published by non Mexicans. They are all wrong in many places. Didn't they think somebody would eventually look ?
Here's a picture of what I know to be the trail of the Jesuits and Missions. No matter what anybody wants to call it.
Betcha can't guess where it is.

academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2004 at 10:33 AM
Photo

Is it in Baja California? It must be near Todos Santos or Santiago.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2004 at 10:35 AM

yep-nope
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-21-2004 at 05:46 PM

The Camino Real was typically 2 to 3 meters wide and less in difficult areas. The section your van is on had to have been widened and maintained for local use.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.