Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: The word BAJA and other Americanism
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2004 at 12:21 AM

Or does it have to be in Spanish? If that is the case, I'll need some help with the translation.
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2004 at 12:24 AM

DK, to tell you the truth, I think it's a "thrill of the hunt" sort of thing really.

But really, the reason I called it "The Baja California peninsula" was so that I could put "The" in front of "Baja" and get away with it.

[Edited on 11/21/2003 by Packoderm]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

lol.gif posted on 5-25-2004 at 01:11 AM
Packoderm adds 'the' to Baja ...

That's so you wouldn't be mistaken for a Canadian, eh? What a hoser you are! Heading south to the Baja, eh? It's aboot time, I say! Don't forget the backbacon and your touque, eh!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2004 at 05:32 AM
Speedy Gonzalez

It's a shame that SG decided that he had to leave, but I viewed his position as being out of line. As I posted earlier, I think it totally unreasonable to expect casual visitors to Baja California or Mexico to be familiar with the historical literature written by Mexican historians. As a published historian, I do know of the works of people like Ignacio del Rio, one individual that SG mentioned by name. At the same time, if he chids gringos for not knowing Mexican historians, he should be equally familiar with what historians on this side of the border have written, something he apparently is unwilling to do. A bit of a hypocritical double standard to my way of thinking. What he implied is that only Mexican historians know the history of Mexico. My story about the Mexicanist conference was to make a point he missed or more probably chose to ignore. Academics on both sides of the border routinely get together to converse, and are not hung up with the type of mentality evidence by our friend SG.
aldosalato
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2004 at 06:56 AM
Speedy do not leave

Opinion from any native Mexican is very much welcomed on the board.
Just because we disagree on something it does not mean we can learn a lot from you.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2004 at 07:17 AM
Let me spell it out for you. Again

What the gringos are doing is ignoring some relevant information that is published in Spanish. And there is a lot.
This is why I said you need to learn Spanish David because you are writing about their history.
AA, you should be very proud to have your ideas published. But, what do the Mexican people think of your writings? It sounds as if you connect with the Mexican historians to compile your work.
What I was saying originally and Speedy was concurring politely, you are writing information knowing only half the facts and from only one side. And a side that lied about their own history as well.
Seems to have worked really well with the gringo map books which are all wrong in many places, so I suppose that the same applies for the history of Baja. A bunch of incomplete or wrong information being published by gringos that have only spent a few vacations in Baja and don't speaka da language or even care what the people it's being written about think.
Very George Bush like. One day, somebodies gonna look ! That is, if he doesn't decide Mexico is concealing weapons of mass destruction,have you sent any down here Mike?, and takes over another part of the world.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-25-2004 at 07:38 AM
Gringo map books?

JR, maybe I will let you buy the pastrami! The Baja Almanac http://www.baja-almanac.com and the former Baja Topo Atlas use MEXICAN government topographic maps. I have some actual Mexican made topos and the SAME mistakes you see in the (gringo published) Almanac are in the original MEXICAN drawn maps. When the new Almanac came out, I posted a list of errors I spotted at the time. Switching arroyo names is one thing, but switching entire bay names (S.L.Gonzaga/Ens. de S. Fran) is pretty bad. Between San Agustin and Catavina they didn't even survey the location of the new highway, instead they just showed the old roadbed as now paved (the highway is really 1-2 miles south to west of the old road). There are errors in many gringo books, I agree... But the gringo made map books just reproduced Mexican made maps into handy book form. With their many mistakes, they still are best maps to use to explore the peninsula, IMHO.

Also, I write about places I visit and what I see there. If I write historic articles, I quote from or credit published authors. Mexicans I have met and talked to don't always have all the details or facts correct and just speak of what they believe or was told. People like Harry Crosby, Peter Gerhard, and Robert Jackson did research into the original Spanish records of the period. The people now living at a mission site may not have been able to read those documents...
Ooops, gotta go work, bye!

[Edited on 5-25-2004 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2004 at 08:28 AM
Well ding dang darn it David

This was just starting to get interesting. I am listening to what you are saying. But, I'm leaving tomorrow and you had to go to work. I will have forgotten all about this conversation when I get back so we'll have to start over.:lol:
Or maybe later. Have a good one Amigo.
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2004 at 08:51 AM
JrBaja

I have published in a number of countries, in ENglish, Spanish, French, and Portuguese. The impression that I have is that my scholarship is respected in Mexico. Now to the issue at hand. For a person with an avocational interest in history, I do not believe that there is an obligation to read what has been published by Mexican historians, as you imply. That really is a personal choice.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2004 at 08:56 AM
Seems kind of "one sided" to me.

Personally, I prefer to know all the available information prior to making any judgements or statements. But that's just me.
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 5-25-2004 at 12:10 PM

A.A., Yes, I agree, the boarder is an artificial line, the cultures are much more merged than many realize.

I went to see an excellent play the other evening about the "Women of Troy". It was an awesome bi-cultural experience, I would give 50/50 - Gringo/National attending. The play was a Modern American Jazz production in Spanish dialog done by local students, directed by non Spanish speaking directors, who did a wonderful job with the kids, it really, really worked for everyone attending! Can you imagine all these local ranchero type Mom's in the audience, Billy Holiday's "Lady sings the Blues" and modern dance and jazz presenting an all time classic social message in regard to the suffrage of Women in relation to the violence of war. Anyway, the kids pulled it off, the directors were great, and we, the audience, all got it, didn't matter what level of education or language skills was represented in the audience.
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2004 at 02:03 PM

Holy Guacamole! The History and Lit Forum has finally got contentious enough to send somebody off into the sunset--just like the Off-Topic section.

Speedy opened an interesting thread--too bad he left before I got around to complaining that the private ownership implicit in his references to "mi peninsula" offended me. Oh well . . .

Lera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Margie
Banned

[*] posted on 5-25-2004 at 02:07 PM
Speedy Gonzalez

I just want to add something about "Speedy's" namesake, that some of you, as Mexicans, or Mexican-Americans found offensive.

When we lived in the States, we would buy our firewood from the Mesa Grande Indians. The guy who was in charge, was nicknamed "Tanto". Finally, I had to ask him, why do you take that name? Isn't it derogatory?

He told me he picked up the nickname while he was in the Marines. He told me he kept it, just to let the white eyes know he wasn't stupid or slow, sort of reverse psychology. He also bore the name as a badge of honor and courage, from fighting in Korea.

The same is true of a large number of the black population who refer to themselves with the "N" word. It is their way of saying, this word is meaningless in the context that was used to directly assault us in verbal abuse and to make us feel undignified, We embrace this insult, and use it to our advantage to show what fools you are. They are taking a negative, and turning it into a positive.

I bet you this absolutely makes Strom Thurman and his followers cringe !

[Edited on 5-25-2004 by Margie]
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2004 at 03:56 PM
Speedy Gonzalez

Baja[California]lera. SG chose to go, and I am sorry he did. He raised some interesting questions. However, I also think he brought an attitude that I did not particularly like. BUt such is life. I hope he decides to come back.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2004 at 04:51 PM
Norte

Pac

Where is the Mexican state of "Baja California Norte"??:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2004 at 05:13 PM

It is in-between the lost Mexican states of Baja California este and Baja California oeste.
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2004 at 01:02 PM

Margie, are you sure the guy wasn't called "TOnto"?

Lera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 5-28-2004 at 04:15 PM
California confusion?!?

I guess we call if Baja California, Norte, so we don't confuse it with the Alta California which we stole fair and square and have zero intention of returning to rightful ownership.
Also, those of us who live in the "Real California" call the state where most of you other Nomads live "Southern California" to further distinguish your place from ours.
This Alta Cf. place is actually three separate, distinct states: Southern California, Bay Area, and all the rest of us.
So, when we have friends from the East Coast who wish to visit us we make it perfectly clear that we live in "Real California" not "Southern California" nor "Bay Area California"
Now, if that did not confuse you then let's try again on the BCN and BCS.... those are pretty easy compared to the state of the Gringo State.

Baja Arriba!!
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.