BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Want to whalewatch but worry about crime?
desertandsea5

[*] posted on 11-30-2008 at 07:43 AM
Want to whalewatch but worry about crime?

Fly in trips with Cedros Outdoor Adventures and whalewatch 2000 whales in Ojo de Liebre lagoon !

Many people who would like to see and experience these amazing creatures in Baja are discouraged by the remoteness of the Mexican lagoons, and the recent wave of crime and drug-related violence. To drive down means navigating over 500 miles of two-lane Mexican highway, and many whale watching expeditions require camping.

Today, the experience of whale watching “2000 whales” in Ojo de Liebre lagoon (a.k.a. Scammon's) is available for everyone under safe and comfortable conditions. Our expeditions begin in San Diego, CA, or from Los Angeles CA/Loreto, BCS, taking away the stress to go across the border and getting lost.
Our trips are comfortable and designed for those who don’t or can’t have the inconveniences associated with camping, driving long distances, or being scare.
Our expeditions options include pickup in the U.S. or in Loreto, Mexico. All packages include bilingual, expert guides from start to finish, transportation, meals in local restaurants and comfortable accommodations in hotels, for less than it costs to camp in more remote locations.

For more information, visit our website www.cedrosoutdooradventures.com contact us by email at info@cedrosoutdooradventures.com or call us 1 619 793 5419
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-30-2008 at 07:48 AM

This is wonderful news that this group is offering whale watching...Jose Angel was the marine biologist in the lagoon for years, knows it well and runs a smooth outfit...I highly recommend it.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Lindalou
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2008 at 10:14 AM

Would it be safe to park a motorhome at Scammons and go out to see the whales and not get broken into?
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2008 at 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RichnLinda
Would it be safe to park a motorhome at Scammons and go out to see the whales and not get broken into?

Yes----and it is a beautiful place to camp----no hook-ups.

Diane

Lindalou
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2008 at 05:52 PM

Thanks Diane, we don't need hooksups, we'll drycamp in comfort anyway.:)
desertandsea5

[*] posted on 12-1-2008 at 06:57 AM

Hi Shari, Linda, Diane

That is a good option if you have your own RV and have time to drive down. I love to drive Baja myself, but I understand when Baja fans and enthusiastic whalewatchers are afraid to go by themselves. That is why we are offering this alternative.

The site at Ojo de Liebre is nice and whales are very close to see from your camp (Shari will be able to describe it better). There are usually people from the Ejido Benito Juarez (the managers and owners of that land) who attend gate and boats, as well as a visitors center.

Have fun!
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2008 at 09:32 AM

We dry camped in our motor home at Ojo de Liebre on two occasions. It is one of the highlights of our last trip. The campgrounds are well maintained and have incredible views. I witnessed a phenomenon there that I have never before seen, whales floating in the air. For some reason in certain conditions the whales appear to be ABOVE the water. You can hear and see them engaged in all sorts of behaviors including breaching from your RV site. There are also wonderful birds to be seen a Ojo de Liebre.

Of course if you can nab Shari for a tour, you are in for a real treat! If Shari vouches for these folks, it's money in the bank.

Enjoy!!

Iflyfish
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2008 at 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertandsea5
Hi Shari, Linda, Diane

That is a good option if you have your own RV and have time to drive down. I love to drive Baja myself, but I understand when Baja fans and enthusiastic whalewatchers are afraid to go by themselves. That is why we are offering this alternative.

The site at Ojo de Liebre is nice and whales are very close to see from your camp (Shari will be able to describe it better). There are usually people from the Ejido Benito Juarez (the managers and owners of that land) who attend gate and boats, as well as a visitors center.

Have fun!

I think the idea that you are offering a fly-in for this lagoon is GREAT. I have only seen the fly-in offers for San Ignacio, and while I also enjoy whale watching in San Ignacio, Ojo de Liebre is a great place and different.

In fact, all three whale lagoons are well worth visiting if one has the time. We also like watching them, but more in the distance, from our front porch in Bahia Asuncion.

We SINCERELY wish you luck with this venture---flying is a much faster way to get there, and as you say, many are either afraid, or don't have the time to drive, or some just prefer to travel by air.

Since many people on this forum are used to driving down Baja, you might think about contacting places like the Discover Baja Club in San Diego as they offer different types of tours and yours might fit with theirs http://www.discoverbaja.com/ I know they offer a caravan to San Ignacio.

I wish you lots of success, keep posting, and do post some pictures of all your operations---fishing, whale watching, etc.

Looking forward to seeing more posts, pictures, and hearing about your adventures.

Diane

[Edited on 12-1-2008 by jdtrotter]
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2008 at 10:07 AM

I camped in one of the palapas at Ojo de Liebre in late March 2007. Shari had given some information here on Nomad that was great.
Had a great time! Cost to enter and camp was minimal, maybe $5 or $10 per night.
Go and enjoy. I found the area safe and secure. My belongings were left in an open jeep while we went whale watching with no problems. Everyone I have met on several trips have been great people, locals and tourists alike.
Lindalou
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2008 at 01:10 PM

We are not afraid to drive as we have done it before and we live in Baja, but would love to park with other RVers and go on whale watches with them, as we have never whale watched before. Shari said she would post more about a group thing closer to the time to go. I think around her birthday.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.