Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: It's tamale time again
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2008 at 06:59 PM

I found a fairly simple recipe for the pork tamales which has you boil the pork roast in chicken broth and seasonings and includes 2 triangles of Ibarra chocolate (in the yellow odd-shaped box).

There's no explanation for the addition of the chocolate.

Before I start boiling, any opinions or has anyone added chocolate to a mixture like this before?
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2008 at 07:41 PM

Mexican chocolate like Ibarra or Abuelita is an ingredient in mole. Does the recipe also call for lots of red chile, onion, garlic, tomato, nuts or peanut butter and a big list of other fruits, veggies and spices? If so it will probably be delicious.

CP
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2009 at 01:22 PM

Hey oladulce!
Please report back...how was your tamal-ing??
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 1-12-2009 at 01:34 PM

It's always tamale time!!!:bounce:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2009 at 01:50 PM

Yeah, Oladulce....It's time for a Tamale report.
I didn't comment on your pork recipe above but, I'll give a variation now.
Go down to the corner and buy a kilo of fresh made Carnitas and shred them. Add what seems appropriate. I love good Carnitas especially with a box of beer.
CP
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2009 at 02:17 PM

Ohhhh if we only had a corner to go to for Carnitas in our little pueblo.....that is trully one of the finer treats about going to 'town'. Thank dogs for the carnitas stand in Insurgentes and El Paraiso (which we call Pig Paradise) in Cd. C!
Ya, we can make it ourselves, but I could never allow myself to cook with so much fat. I'd rather leave that to someone else and enjoy on the rare occasion.
Sorry, got off the tamale subject there....
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2009 at 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CP
Ya, we can make it ourselves, but I could never allow myself to cook with so much fat.

You mean your doctor wouldn't approve of the big tub of boiling lard? Change doctors. It's not an every day thing.
CP
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2009 at 02:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:

You mean your doctor wouldn't approve of the big tub of boiling lard? Change doctors. It's not an every day thing.

I change them as often as I get my lipidos tested...
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2009 at 07:58 AM

This will make LOTS of Tamales....

10 pounds of pork (1 ½ hog heads) or a 10-pound pork roast
One gallon shelled, yellow corn
½ cup of pickling lime
Lard
Salt
Broth from the meat
Ground red pepper
Black pepper
30 dozen corn shucks

Boil meat until tender; bone and grind finely; sauté garlic in small amount of lard; add home ground red pepper to taste for hot, medium or lightly seasoned tamales; salt the ground meat.

Boil shelled yellow corn in water with the lime in a large wash pot until the husks fall off the corn kernels and the corn becomes tender; Wash corn about 11 times to remove the lime, then drain.

The next day, have corn ground; mix with pure lard, meat broth and then salt to taste. Lard keeps the tamale dough from being sticky; test on palm or hand and if dough doesn?t stick to palm, then it is ready.

Wash and scald corn shucks; drain off water; place flattened corn shuck in palm of one hand with the other hand, daub corn mixture onto the cornshuck spreading it crosswise to both edges leaving both ends of the length-wise shuck free of dough, when a thin layer is daubed into the shuck; spread a heaping teaspoon of the meat mixture lengthwise over the dough; roll shuck lengthwise and fold one end over about two inches.

Stand tamales with folded ends down in a large cooker until the bottom is completely packed; Pour in about three inches of water—but do not cover the tamales. Fill the pot with the rest of the tamales which will be about ½ the recipe. Cover tightly and cook slowly for about 1 ½ hours—repeat for the second half of the recipe.
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2009 at 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CP
Hey oladulce!
Please report back...how was your tamal-ing??

A success! By the time the new vacuum sealer arrived, there wasn't much left to freeze. Esposo BigWooo is the maestro by the way and me, shopper/assistant. These were my favorite:

PORK (excelente!)

• Pork "roast" (hardly any fat and result was not greasy)
  • chicken broth
  • Chili powder, cumin, garlic powder,sea salt, Ibarra chocolate (2 pieces)

Boil, then simmer the above a few hours.
Heat together, thicken with a little cornstarch, and add to pork:

• Tomatillos 2-3 lbs
  • garlic
  • orange juice
  • chili de arbol
  • diced green chilis
  • olives
  • cumin
  • 2 cans chrushed pineapple/ 2 cups raisins (This mix was heated separately and added to all 3 varieties of tamales)

Spread in to masa as usual.

CHILI SWEET POTATO

• Sweet potatos about 3 lbs
  • butter, cinnamon, brown sugar
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 can corn
  • diced green chilis
  • chili de arbol
  • 1 1/4 cup Masa, 1 tbsp baking powder, chili powder
  • Pineapple/raisin mix (see pork tamales)

Cut potatos in half and spread butter, cinnamon, and a little brown sugar on the halves and bake at 350° x 1 hr. Scoop out potatos in to a bowl. Heat chicken broth and butter til warm and add to potatos.

Mix all ingredients together and spread in to the corn husks.
* These tamales don't have the masa wrapper, the masa is mixed in with the potatos and spread in to the husks.

I cooked the pork the day before which made a huge difference. Still, by the time we spread the last bit of masa we were quite DONE with tamale making for a while!

We never think to make smaller batches so it's not so laborious until we're half way thru the process. Reminds me of "White man build big fire- stand far back..."

[Edited on 1-13-2009 by oladulce]
bajachris
Nomad

Mood: Love Baja

[*] posted on 3-30-2009 at 10:40 AM

I love pina tamales. Does anyone have a good recipe?

My mom makes pork and cooks them in a steamer for 24 hours. Lots of work!
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2009 at 11:55 AM

No but I'm interested. Que es, "tamal de pina"?

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
nancyinpdx
Nomad

Mood: muy eccentrica

[*] posted on 3-30-2009 at 04:24 PM
pineapple tamales

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
No but I'm interested. Que es, "tamal de pina"?

It has a little sugar and baking powder in the dough and are filled with pineapple. Pineapple tamales are my favorite! I lived in Colonia Juarez, TJ for several months and also en el centro. Every time I saw the tamales, I'd buy them for breakfast. Yum!

I asked for a good recipe on the mexconnect forum and Jetski posted a good one. There is a food and cooking forum there and mexconnect is now free and has lots more interesting stuff on it and its oldie users are super Mexico experts. Check it out!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.