Printable Version  
Author: Subject: CAREM Baja Mission Bus Trip - April 23-28
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2009 at 04:40 PM
CAREM Baja Mission Bus Trip - April 23-28

This is a really fun, unique trip.

A Mission Sampler of Baja California
Lectured tour of the extraordinary peninsula of Baja California visiting 8 Jesuit, Franciscan and Dominican missions conducted by renown Baja California historian Dr. W. Michael Mathes. These missions are a part of the California Mission Chain.
6 days and 5 nights, April 23-28, 2009

Dr. W. Michael Mathes, internationally recognized authority on Baja California history. The tour will include lectures on board a fully-equipped first-class bus covering the pre-history and early history, explorations and mapping, mission period and post-mission period of Baja California from 6000 BC to 1880. On site lectures will detail the mission visited, and additional information on numerous aspects of the region - natural history, geology, climatology, etc. - will be provided. A mini-course on Baja California, Dr. Mathes will provide ample time for questions and commentaries, and will suggest sources for those interested in further study.

RATES:
Per Person: Double Occupancy: $700.00 U.S.
Single Occupancy: $850.00 U.S.
(30 Reservations required for tour: 40 member max.)
Tour includes:
Fully equipped first class bus and 4-star hotels
10 meals (5 breakfasts and 5 lunches)
Lectures and literature packet
Guide
Baggage handling and tips
Ice chest with soft drinks, beer, water and snacks on bus

Payment information:
Deposit of $300 per person
Final payment by April 1, 2009
Make checks to: CAREM
PO Box 280, Tecate, CA 91980
Att: Zella Ibaņez
Further information:
Zella Ibaņez at above address
e-mail: zella@prodigy.net.mx
Tel: 011 52 665 655 6419
OR: Lily Kellenberger
e-mail: lilykelco@yahoo.com
Tel: 011 52 665 654 3460

I can't figure out how to attach the Adobe flyer of the daily intinerary, but it starts in Tecate and goes as far south as San Ignacio.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2009 at 04:48 PM

Dr. Mathes at Mision San Fernando

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2009 at 04:50 PM

Wine storage containers at Mision Santa Gertrudis (this mission not included this year)

Baja Bucko
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2009 at 04:50 PM
Santa Maria

Can't wait to see 'um pull into Mission Santa Maria......:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

My other 4WD is a Baja Mule!

La Mula Mil Survivor 2013-2014!
1000 miles by mule from the tip to Tecate!
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2009 at 04:51 PM

Cooking carne asada at Mision San Borja - a wonderful lunch

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2009 at 04:55 PM

Santa Maria isn't on the agenda:
Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe
San Fernando
San Borja
San Ignacio
Nuestrra Senora de El Rosario
Santo Domingo

We had to skip Santo Domingo last year because they didn't think the bus would make it and we used auxiliary van transportation to get to Sta Gertrudis - I guess they've arranged something similar to get to Sto Domingo. The daily lectures by Dr. Mathes are incredible - he lectures both in English and Spanish, and his recall is phenomenal - no notes.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-28-2009 at 08:55 PM

Santo Domingo is only 5 miles from the highway on a wide, graded road... a sports car could drive there... really... no grades, 2 lanes wide... easiest drive in Baja.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2009 at 09:10 PM

Curious what "4 star" hotels do they stay at for $60 per night average ? :?:
($150 add-on for single room = $30 per night for half the room)
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2009 at 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
Santa Maria isn't on the agenda:
Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe
San Fernando
San Borja
San Ignacio
Nuestrra Senora de El Rosario
Santo Domingo

We had to skip Santo Domingo last year because they didn't think the bus would make it and we used auxiliary van transportation to get to Sta Gertrudis - I guess they've arranged something similar to get to Sto Domingo. The daily lectures by Dr. Mathes are incredible - he lectures both in English and Spanish, and his recall is phenomenal - no notes.

There are no mission ruins at Guadalupe... just the site. Wonder why they don't see Descanso and San Miguel instead?

They pass right by Santo Tomas' final site... and within a few miles of the first Santo Tomas site... no stop?

They pass by the mile driveway to San Vicente... no stop? That one is impressive with the restoration work there.

Some day... I would love to take folks to see historic Baja sites! Until then, I will do it for free, right here on Nomad and my web site!:light:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2009 at 10:47 AM

I believe last year the low road to Santo Domingo had water in it and was blocked, and the high road is too narrow. Maybe the conditions are different this year.
And yes, San Vicente IS on the route - same day as Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe. They're stopping in Ensenada for lunch that day too - we had box lunch on the bus the first time, so time to get out of the bus for a look-see there.
The hotels were Desert Inns - very nice accommodations. The one in Catavina has a spring fed pool. We didn't stay in San Quintin on the last trip - so not sure about what they've picked for town, but I'm certain it would be the same quality as a Desert Inn. One nice thing is that toast, coffee and juice is included without charge for breakfast if you don't want to order off the menu - and that was the same policy at every Desert Inn.
The bus driver was very accommodating to take a group of us into GN for dinner (the Desert Inn is at the checkpoint) and we had a lot of fun. I see that there are 2 nights in GN.

We stopped at Santo Tomas the first trip - you really can't see anything there, and you have to stand there at the fence and look over. The history was interesting, but a little disappointing too to see "where it used to be".

I will reiterate that this trip is VERY well planned. To have Dr. Mathes as the lecturer and compadre on this trip is VERY special. He doesn't just talk about a site when you get there - he lectures while we're riding on the bus, starting with early exploration and discovery of Mexico, etc., and works his way, chronologically, through the entire history of the Dominicans, Jesuit, Franciscan occupations and more. You have enough time on your own to do a bit of exploring or hiking - especially in Catavina. There are sodas, water and beer on the bus, and you can bring whatever you want as well. This is an opportunity to see a lot of Baja and you don't have to drive or arrange a thing.

There were a couple of us who, by request, were paired with someone else so we didn't have to pay the single supplement - worked out great - you get to meet new people.

"I would love to take folks to see historic Baja sites"
David, you get a trip organized, complete with van, driver, sodas, water, beer, BBQ catered lunches, box lunches, complete with homemade cookies - a different kind every day - and let me know - I'll be the first to sign up.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2009 at 11:03 AM

Hotel star ratings have always been flexible in Mexico. When I first read the post, I figured they would have to be staying at the Desert Inn (La Pinta). Especially since the tour goes as far as San Ignacio. Where do you bivouac a busload other than the Desert Inn at San Ignacio. As for the stars.... Must be four out of ten. Seriously, most rating services only go to five stars. So, if the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar or The RIU is five, certainly the Desert inn is four. No?:lol:

[Edited on 1-29-2009 by Bajahowodd]
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2009 at 11:31 AM

I checked out the credentials of Dr. W. Michael Mathes and they are VERY impressive and it sounds like he runs a very well organized, and interesting tour.

Sounds like you had a great time and I am sure many others will enjoy this trip. Besides the great history lesson, it is kind of nice sometimes to kick back and let someone else worry about the logistics, the food, etc.

Thanks for sharing this.

Diane

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2009 at 11:58 AM

Dr. Michael Mathes has the credentials, no doubt... and authored papers and books on Baja... He has been around the field for many years.

My 'Choral Pepper's lost mission (?)' photos were sent to him to get his input... Never heard back from him (yet).

Ed Vernon and I were discussing the new Camino Real/ Missions book the other day (they used Ed's photos)... and about the many errors that were in the book... Dr. Mathes is one of the contributing authors (along with Harry Crosby and others). Ed said he would see what Dr. Mathes has to say about the list...

The more people interested in mission history, the better chance the missions have of being preserved or protected.

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2009 at 12:59 PM

"...sounds like he runs a very well organized, and interesting tour"

Actually, its Zella Ibanez, of CAREM in Tecate, and her cohorts, notablly Lily Kellenberger, who organize the trip.

"The more people interested in mission history, the better chance the missions have of being preserved or protected."
CAREM, a fully volunteer, non-profit organization, plays an important role in supporting the mission preservation. E.g., at Mision Guadalupe, CAREM provided the funding to build the small museum there - many interesting artifacts. The bus tour is a fund-raising event as well.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2009 at 01:34 PM

"no mission ruins at Guadalupe... just the site"

You can see replica ruins, original foundations, many things from the Russian era lying about - buttons, etc., small museum. Excavations are underway and the archaeologist there who gives the site tour is very friendly and informative. He's been working at the site for 8 years.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2009 at 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
"no mission ruins at Guadalupe... just the site"

You can see replica ruins, original foundations, many things from the Russian era lying about - buttons, etc., small museum. Excavations are underway and the archaeologist there who gives the site tour is very friendly and informative. He's been working at the site for 8 years.

Here are the photos from when we visited the site in 2001 (with Fishin' Rich, David Eidell, elgatoloco, and Baja Barb)

http://www.vivabaja.com/cabras/page4.html

We visited 2 museums, very interesting: http://www.vivabaja.com/cabras/page3.html

Nice to hear that some work is going on there!

The Guadalupe mission was the final site of Mision San Miguel according to some historians... not a true seperate mission. All the books do list it as seperate... and of interest, it was the LAST mission to be extablished in CALIFORNIA (Baja & Alta).

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.