Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: suspension
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2004 at 08:37 PM
suspension

Is there much I can do with a stock 2001, f-150, crew cab, 2wd as far as suspension ? What can I do without lifting it or would it not make a big difference unless I lifted it ? Just wondering how I can get a better ride down the dirt roads in baja.. Approximately how much would it cost ? Thanks Paul
dbrooks
Junior Nomad

Mood: The shock treat

[*] posted on 6-4-2004 at 08:01 AM
Sell the Ford

Buy a Land Cruiser
PabloS
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2004 at 09:15 PM

BILSTEIN....BILSTEIN....BILSTEIN....BILSTEIN....BILSTEIN....BILSTEIN.....seriously, we drive a stock f-250 SuperDuty and Bilstein shocks have been the best money we've spent :bounce::light:
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2004 at 09:47 PM

I've heard Bilsteins are good but my friend outfitted his f-150 4x4 with them. he put on a brand new set of 4 before our trip. Well, when he got home after our trip to bahia las animas, labay, calamuje and back to san felipe via gonzaga. He had one of those puppies leaking...He took the one back and he got a freebie but the clerk said he would not get another one. In addition he told him they are not guarenteed for offroad...also there is no application with these shocks to double shock them without lifting the truck.. I guess the problem was they were getting to hot......Paul
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2004 at 10:22 PM
Bilstein

After discussing shocks with many who know, I decided on Bilsteins. I even have a friend who can get me a GREAT deal on them.
Unfortunately, I don't have the "time" to take it to the states to a Bilstein dealer to get it fitted.
The van has a bit of a lift for Baja roads, which it has been on most of. Because of the lift, I had to measure the distance of travel with the axle jacked down as well as up.
For those that understand that, I went with Monroe (easy to get in Baja), good guarantee, and they have traveled a lot of territory without any problems so far.
What I do have is two extra leaves added to my leaf springs in the rear and it offers the best of rides loaded down.
That, combined with learning about air pressure in the tires will give you the smoothest of rides. For way less money and trouble.
Depending on the tires, listed Pressure, A 50# Max. PSI tire, washboard roads, 30#. Arroyo sand, 20#. Soft Beach Sand, 10#.
If you are stuck in really soft sand, go to about 5 - 7 #'s. But only after jacking the vehicle up high enough to get the rear differential above the sand and everything you own under the traction wheels.
As far as "On Board Air". You can spend the money for that or, stop at Auto Zone in Rosarito or Ensenada and spend $25.00 for a 12 volt truck compressor (with flashing emergency lights) that has worked fine for two years under constant use.
The drawback is, you actually have to stop and spend time enjoying the environment while the tires get refilled. I have learned to leisurely deal with dogs, munchies, ba?o necessities, photos, etc., while my precious time is being taken up by that darn Mexican ma?ana air compressor.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2004 at 03:14 AM

We got some Bilstiens on Barb's F-250 4x4 at the suggestion of some folks who shall remain nameless (Thanks WB & LN).

Duals up front ,solos in the rear. We have had great success with them. Also since I put a camper on to go camping I took the truck to Frame and Axle in El Cajon and they set up new rear springs so that the truck rides level with or without the camper.

I want to go camping in Baja!

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2004 at 05:21 PM

So, can you describe the modifications that were done and at what cost? My Dodge diesel is completely stock and I have relied on airing down to get me through the washboard. What do I gotta spend suspension-wise if I want to go the next step?

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2004 at 07:10 PM

Thanks Whistler. As I expected, that suspension system is quite a bit out of my price range right now with the expenses we are having trying to build a house on the east cape. Stock Dodge will have to do (and it really does just fine). And besides, air or less air is free!
BTW, I have met DesertBull, and found him entertaining. I have no idea how he affords to bomb out his equipment so well, except that he must get the parts for free or low cost to publicize them.
Happy travling, tom

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-6-2004 at 09:13 PM
Whistler

... to make a web URL a hyper-link, add http:// infront of the address: vivabaja.com (no) www.vivabaja.com (no) http://vivabaja.com (YES!)

Some URLs still need the www, like campgecko.com but many work with or without the www.

Tom & Paula, I will be in touch soon regarding what we were discussing... things are finally getting back to normal... it's been a loco year so far!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-6-2004 at 09:30 PM

http://trexengineering.com

You are very welcome Glenn!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2004 at 06:27 AM

el jefe, add a few leaf springs in the rear and the best shocks you can afford. thats all ive done to every truck i buy and it works. stay away from lifts and way oversized tires as they do stress the bearing and may interfere with the fenders. i would go with bilstein as i did and go on line for there fact. phone# and get the right shock for you. allso they are warrented for off road and rebuildable and worth every penny.:coolup:
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 6-7-2004 at 08:48 AM

In order of price:

1. Air down
Tips for airing down:
The starting point is the normal running pressure, not the Max PSI on the sidewall. The normal pressure for high speed with max load is in the owner's manual and on the drivers door jam. This is determined by the manufacture based on what the tire size will do. If if you are going slower, then you can air down and still have the same internal tire temperature. The lower airing down limit is set by internal tire heat generated by flexing. Install four of the biggest tires that will fit in the front fender well as they will enable you to air down more for the same load capacity.
With a Tacoma and a heavy load - poptop camper, ten pounds down works for me on washboard roads at forty - fifty mph riding on 32 in. BFGs. I have frequently driven 60 mph on the highway without airing up or problems. A couple of extra leaves per rear wheel and heavier coils in front help from bottoming out on dips.

2. Better shocks

3. Longer travel suspension
Bring money for this one, but it is the real answer for high speed travel. Some of the racers have approached three feet of travel! Lesser kits are available for mere mortals.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2004 at 09:25 AM
On airing down

I spent the last four months experimenting with this air thing as I have about 5 miles in a soft sand arroyo to get my rocks for the Baja Bamboo Park.
Here's what I discovered. When the van is full of camping gear, I air down to about 25 lbs in the rear and 30 in front and can go anywhere except for mud. Then I use chains.
But, when the van is empty (no weight besides us and the dogs), after finding out that we sink with no weight, I would air down to sometimes as low as 5 lbs in the rear, to get unstuck and then float over the sand to the rock area. Then, I could air back up to 25 lbs. with the weight of the rocks and would have no problem.
BFG AT's which I swear by, 2 wheel drive, less air when necessary, extra leafsprings in the rear and a professional 2" lift in the front (Alignment Plus) in Escondido, has gotten that van over almost every road in Baja. Including the road from San Evaristo to Las Pocitas. That's a good one !

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.