BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Front page story today in Orange County Register on Marv Sherill's trips to Las Animas
marla
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2004 at 09:59 AM
Front page story today in Orange County Register on Marv Sherill's trips to Las Animas

Here is the link though you might have to register to read it.....

http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/article.do?id=98277
marla
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2004 at 10:17 AM
here is link to photo slideshow

http://www.ocregister.com/multimedia/baja/
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 6-4-2004 at 12:18 PM
Las Animas

For the full text version, see the "Baja News" forum under the title: Las Animas High School
no registration required :P
Lindalou
Senior Nomad

question.gif posted on 6-4-2004 at 02:48 PM

Marla, before I register, what or where is this paper about?:?:......RichnLinda
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2004 at 05:33 PM
Marla - Best of both worlds...

You can get the (extended) story from Taco de Baja's post and the images off your post. Thanks for posting this story.
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 6-5-2004 at 09:24 AM
Just finished

reading the article in the Register. It was of particular interest to me as Marv is a teacher at D.H. right up the street from where I live. Neat article but correct me if I'm wrong, isn't it illegal to take lobster out of the SOC and that picture is not of a sea anenome but rather an Urchin? Pretty cool pictures too!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-5-2004 at 10:06 AM

RichnLinda, the O.C. Register is the name of the daily newspaper that serves Orange County, CA. No need to worry about registering, I think. Marla is a reporter for the paper.

Taco de Baja, thank you for posting the text. My WebTV cannot access the Register's web site stories or the photos, sadly.

Sally, I cannot see the photos but taking a lobster for a student's science experiment and then eating it (not reselling it, for profit) is probably as illegal as any of us collecting sea shells, or some clams to eat. Is that something over which to cancel the program? It is likely Marv may have a Mexican national with them to pick up the lobster or a special permit.

Marv's wife Gail showed a great video of the class at Las Animas, at Viva Baja 3. Marv and Gail both were at Viva 4. I will ask if they would share the video again next time I have an indoor Viva Baja event.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 6-5-2004 at 11:14 AM
Animas

Haven't been in over 10 years, but it was/is one of my favorite places on the Gulf.
Need to get back one of these days. Still looks much the same.

If I had gone to Dana Hills HS, rather than Laguna Beach HS. I would have taken that class. What an awsome opportunity! I am glad that the school has not seen fit to cut the class due to budget cuts.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2004 at 11:19 AM
Dana Hills / Las Animas

Carol's kids both went to Dana Hills and friends of theirs went on some of those trips. There's a lot of extra curricular activities going on but from what I have seen, those kids came away with an entirely different outlook on life because of them. This is good !!:light:
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 6-6-2004 at 09:36 AM
Absolutly!

I think it is an awesome opportunity for the kids! Did I say something to the contrary? I was simply wondering about the lobster.Marv has done a fantastic job(a lot of hard work too!) with this project. If he retires I would hope he would have a successor so the project can continue. Also, David, it would be great to see a video of one of his trips. Count me in, please.

[Edited on 6-6-2004 by Sallysouth]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-6-2004 at 10:18 AM
Marv Sherrill's Baja Video

Yes, the video documentary of the Las Animas field trip has music and interviews students... very good quality like El Camote's Baja videos. Marv and Gail are great people you will meet at any Discover Baja or David K event. They have a vacation home on the shore of Bahia de los Angeles, as well.

It's not too late to help the program by purchasing the beautiful Baja Calendar, either! Order right here at Baja Nomad's tienda! The year is only half over...

[Edited on 6-6-2004 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

marv sherrill
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 07:11 AM
las animas

jhust toset the record straight - lobsters were pyrchased from locals - they bring them every year - 10 for $150!!1 Marv
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 07:47 AM
10 lobsters for $150???

I hope that's pesos you are talking about!:lol:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 07:58 AM
Por exemplo

200 pesos for the box on left.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 08:07 AM
And these

were 100 pesos. I think you better do some negotiatin or start using pesos Marv.
This is actually a test to see what happens when I shrink the photos properly.
marv sherrill
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 09:51 AM

Actually in dollars - size ranged from 4 to 9 pounds... Marv

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.