Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Feeling safe in Baja
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2004 at 03:25 PM
Feeling safe in Baja

Another observation regarding Lower California verses Mexico proper.
"Lower California, Natural Resources" E. W. Nelson, Government Printing Office,

Wahsington, 1922

Owing to its geographic location, Lower California is isolated from other

parts of Mexico and has had much intercourse with California. My expedition thru

the peninsula was made after I had spent a considerable number of years in Mexico

proper, and it is interesting to note certain characteristics of the people of the

peninsula. We found them everywhere honest and friendly. There was a general

absence of revolvers and machetes among the people of the peninsula,in marked

contrast to the general custom of carring one or the other of those weapons

throughout most of the other parts of Mexico. During all of this trip, owing to

the obviously peaceable and friendly character of the people, even in the remotest

sections, for the first time in Mexican territory we felt no need of weapons for

self-protection.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2004 at 05:20 PM

While I think a big part opf the Mexican character is gentle, I also think that part of the equation for the Baja folks is that they are rural in the places so many of travel. There is more time for social stuff and less demand for $$$. I have lived in places in Baja where we didn't see folks for days across a three month stretch. In those circumstances we found ourselves standing atop a local dune so we could see the dirt road a half-mile away when we heard an engine. If they didn't come to visit, we were disappointed. Anyway, I think it's a blending of circumstances that make the Baja folks what they are: wonderful people. Thanks for your engaging aging articles.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2004 at 09:08 AM

I used to come down with a friend who was very aprehensive about crowds or just going shopping to the mall etc while in the Old Countryh (USA). But when we crossed the border in Mexicali into Mexico you could just see her relax. Even in the Mexicali traffic. Quite a transformation she had when she sensed the "peace" of Baja.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.