BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mickey Thompson- R.I.P.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 08:05 AM
Mickey Thompson- R.I.P.

The sad saga of the murders of Mickey and Trudy goes on and on.
** see attached LATimes article below**

Hopefully, Mickey will rest in peace at some point.
Meanwhile, as the accused clearly said, "lots of people did not get along with Mickey" Yeah, that is correct, but we all loved him!!! How could you help it?
My favorite memory of Mickey (and there are many) was the time he invited all of us Class 8 pickup guys to a rules meeting at his shop in Wilmington.
What a group.... Stroppe, Walker, Danny Thompson, Ak Miller, even us young guys from NorCal.
The shop was the ultimate candy store/junk shoppe.... what a mess, and what a bunch of history. Hanging from the ceiling and parked way up on huge shelves were the Indy cars, the great 4 engine (one per wheel) Bonneville car.
It was great!
And, we had an open discussion on the rules, made some concessions to us 'little folks' and generally made the night one to remember forever.
Adios, amigo, we miss you... a bunch

email.latimes.com/cgi-bin1/DM/y/ehO70IV1qs0G2B0F16a0AI

Baja Arriba!!
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 08:40 AM

Saw him once at the PARKER 400...just as he finished the California loop....his car stalled and wouldn't start again....he looks at his crew and says it is "out of gas".....they say "wow that was close"....and he replies "Well, thats what it takes to win races".....pushed it to the limit I guess....
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 05:45 PM
Mickey

MT was larger than life... in all respects.
He was fun to race with, he was always the fastest guy in the class, he almost always broke, usually in spectacular style.
We never finished a race behind him, and never ran in front of him when he was cranked up.
Mickey was the first guy to put a "relief tube" right in front of his and Danny's seats. That way he did not have to exit the truck for calls of nature...

And Trudy was a sweetheart. She was usually there to sign you in at registration prior to heading for tech. She always had a big smile and a cheery word for the competitors. Classy lady!!
What a pair they were!!!
The good die young.

Baja Arriba!!
tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 06:00 PM

Always had a new idea...the mid engine was one for the ages....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 08:47 PM
My brief encounters with Mr. Thompson

My dad and I went to Ensenada and then out past Ojos Negros to see the 1973 Baja Sports Committee 'Baja Mil' (the one year Mexico ran the 1000). Mickey did not qualify his pickup (even though BSC used SCORE rules) and came out and camped near us.

I actually met and interviewed Mickey on Press Day for the SCORE Riverside race, as the reporter for the Baja Bulletin Magazine, in 1974 (I was about 17).

Trudy was exactly as you say. When I returned for race weekend, she personally helped me with my tickets, etc. Such a sad event and nothing should cause anyone to be murdered.

Here's the mid-engine (rear engine?) Chevy LUV truck Mickey raced in Baja. The next photo shows Mickey and his son Danny working on it, in front of me, at Valle Trinidad in 1975.

http://community-2.webtv.net/baja4me/album/page2.html

On the following pages see Mickey's V-8 sprint car style off road racer, at the Parker 400. He broke down next to my pit (I was pit captain for Los Campeones at Turtle Mountain, California loop). This man was a true legend in motor sports and speed records.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 09:29 PM

Good stuff thank you for sharing....gave me a 'flash back'. With all respect to some of the great current 'big money' teams, they still lack a bit of the awh he provided.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.