BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mine is 19 ", how big is yours?
burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 08:14 AM
Mine is 19 ", how big is yours?

Diagonal that is.
My monitor is 19 inches diagonal and I run at a wierd screen resolution of 1152 x 864 32 bit color.
I have almost always posted my photos with 600 pixels horizontal resolution. Now in looking at other threads I see that some people can't even open what I consider to be these medium sized pictures.
What monitor resolutions do the posters here use? What is the ideal size picture for everyone?
burro bob
sin nombre
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 09:11 AM

Screen resolution and the size of a certain image or picture are two different issues. The default setting for most newer monitors is 1024x768. The higher the screen resolution, the more viewing area you will have. Although newer monitors can display 1024x768 and higher, but the default for most of us is 800x600.

The HIGHER the screen resolution, (1152x864 or 1280X1024) the LARGER the viewing area; things on your screen, such as icons, images, etc, will appear very SMALL.

The LOWER the screen resolution,(800x600) the SMALLER the viewing area, icons and pages will appear much LARGER.

On the web, images are displayed at a 72x72 pixel resolution with 256 colors. So the goal is to first reduce the size of the image you are uploading. It can still be 600 pixels wide, but the JPEG quality should be adjusted to either medium or low before uploading. I don't know what specific software you are using to edit your images, but from that program you should be able to select the "Save As" option when you click on "File". Ffrom there save the image as a JPEG. Your program should then prompt you if you as to what quality the JPEG should be saved as; low, medium, or high.

In any case, the image file size should be well under 100k. This will make for a better download speed. There is still a great number of Internet users who use dial-up. I would venture to guess they are in the majority. Huge image files which have not been optimized first before uploading take a looooonngg time to download and display on dial up.
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 11:41 AM

OK, Sin Nombre, I'm with you so far and this is what I've been doing in photoshop - although I generally use 400 pixels width. BUT how do I actually verify the number of k in the picture before I post it? Doug wants 50k or less, so "under 100k" won't do.
Many, many thanks in advance if you can help me with this. :yes:

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 12:02 PM

Natalie Ann, go to your pictures on your hard drive, select "view" and then click on "details". That should show how many kb's each digital photo is.
Bob H
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 02:10 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, Bob H. Sad to say there's no "details" choice under "view" for me. So now the last resort - I'm going to check the "manual".

.....Oscar Wilde
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 02:18 PM

LOL!!!! when i saw Mine is 19" and your name was BURRO Bob i expected somethign else, Jajajajajaja!!!!!

jide
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 02:24 PM
image resizing

photo resizing
If you guys have photoshop (or imageready)
scroll down the "image" menu to >image size
then make sure the resolution is 72 dpi and the actual size(inches) around 5x6.
then >file>save for the web
look @ the optimized version of the image, select jpg format and use the slidebar for image quality 'til ou see the file size going down to 50k.

If it still looks bad then reduce the actual image size to keep quality up.

BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 02:32 PM
Explore file

Natalie Ann

Checking the final size of your picture is the easiest part. If you use windows, just use your "My computer" option to go to the place where you have saved the picture to upload. Then, check the file size, there is an option on the upper bar that says SEE and then DETAILS. I do not know if that is clear enough...:)

Antonio M.
BajaCactus
"Where the Baja is much more than a dream..."
sin nombre
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 02:34 PM

Yes, if you have Photoshop...open up your picture using that program. Click on "File", then "Save for Web", then select the "2 up" tab, so you can view the original image side by side with your "optimized" image. For photos select the JPEG option, and move the slider down to 50. See how it looks, and if it can stand to go a little lower, try it. At the bottom of the screen, it will dislplay both the original file's size, and the optimized size. I will upload a screenshot out of Photoshop later on, maybe that will be of some help....
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 03:05 PM

Thank you everyone. I appreciate all you help. Couldn't be more clear. I now understand how to do this. Turns out that the cameras used have way over 3 MP, so the photos at 50k are very teensy tiny. :(

And now I will begin deleting my previously posted photos.

.....Oscar Wilde
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 03:10 PM
OK Natalie

That's what I am running into. The pics. come out so small they aren't worth posting. Did you find a solution to get them viewable?
sin nombre
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 03:15 PM

First, make sure the image itself is not too large to start out with. In Photoshop, this is a snap:
sin nombre
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 03:17 PM

Now that you have sized it down, it's time to change the quality of your JPEG image:

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 03:36 PM
And then?

How do you save the new copy? I'm a real dummy. Sorry.
sin nombre
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 04:17 PM

Then click "Ok"....

It will then prompt you for the name of the file and where to save it.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.