BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mexican drug cartel jeopardizes our safety!
vseasport
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2009 at 12:41 PM
Mexican drug cartel jeopardizes our safety!

Yeah, and the sky is falling!

Normally this is where we give our dive report. So many folks have inquired about our safety I have been compelled to share this information.

I have lived in Baja California Sur, in the town of Buena Vista, for the past 18 years. There has always been a feeling of safety here, greater than when living in the US. That feeling was never more punctuated than after the events of 9/11. I am glad to be here with no proverbial target on my back.

In the mean time news media, like CNN portrays that ALL of Mexico is a virtual battle zone. This is simply not true. My feelings of safety living in Mexico have not wavered.

Below are links of blogs written by Pete Thomas of the Los Angeles Times and other news reporters that have much more accurate grasp of the true facts.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outposts/2009/03/xxxx.html

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outposts/2009/03/many-arent-...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outposts/2009/03/mexicos-dru...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/26/us/26borders.html?_r=1

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/24/opinion/24krauze.html?em

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outposts/2009/03/mexicos-dru...

http://www.exonline.com.mx/diario/contenido/468598

Jonathan Roldan was kind enough to send me the above links. His sarcasm is quite amusing and can be viewed at:

http://tailhunter-international.com/jonathansblog.htm

[Edited on 4-5-2009 by vseasport]
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2009 at 01:46 PM

This is the map that says it all. Check out wich is the ONLY state in Mexico, that is clean:

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/05eobO9fmSfej/610x.jpg

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2009 at 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vseasport

I have lived in Baja California Sur, in the town of Buena Vista, for the past 18 years. There has always been a feeling of safety here, greater than when living in the US.

Comparing one place to another is unrealistic. It results in meaningless statistics.
I would say you have a vested interest in good press about your area and your appraisel of the situation is every bit as disingenuous as sensational reports of rampant crime for the sake of selling news.
Criminal incidents take place in random spots it seems and it's beyond me to imagine how you know your area is immune to these occurances in the future.
How on earth can you even begin to sell a country which had 7000 deaths attributed to drug violence in one year? That doesn't sound like such a safe place to me. But, I'm not running a tourist oriented business as I believe you are.
vseasport
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2009 at 02:05 PM

"Criminal incidents take place in random spots it seems and it's beyond me to imagine how you know your area is immune to these occurances in the future."

Dennis, please do not put words in my mouth. I never said this place was immune. I did say I feel safer here. That comparison is not unrealistic. We do not lock our doors, I do not take my keys out of the car, I'm never looking over my shoulder. That is not how I was able to Live in Los Angeles. Jesse's map kind of tells the story. That is not to say someone won't be murdered here tomorrow. There is always a chance.
MexicoGringoGuy
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2009 at 02:20 PM

OK, I know, and agree that CERTAIN areas on Mexico are dangerous right now.. there is NO sugar coating it, or spinning it, BUT , one could also look at some date and facts comparing USA and Mexico.. For example...USA had 16,204 murders last year, yet Mexico had 13,144. USA had 95,136 Rapes last year and Mexico had 14,373... there was 420,637 Robberies in USA, yet only 147,775 in Mexico.. The percent of the entire population that were crime victims in the USA last year was 21.2%, yet Mexico was 12.84%....

Yes, before you say it, I already know... USA is bigger than Mexico, and also Mexico doesn't have as good of reporting systems that we have in the US.,.. BUT I am just giving the numbers...

Also, in Mexico.. 99.9999% (estimate) of the time, poeple that are killed are involved in the drug business.. be it cartel, police, buyers, etc etc... In other words, if you dont hang out in "shady" areas... buy drugs... prositiutes, etc etc.. and just stay away, you will NOT be caught up in the violence.. YET sorry to say in the USA thats not the case... Just this past week we saw a guy go into a Civic Center, and a guy kill 3 police.. Before that a nursing home, and on and on...

Yes Mexico is dangerous, BUT lets not be nieve, and negative.. USA is dangerous as well.... Mexico is actually ranked much lower on a list of deaths than USA is (deaths in total).. Meaning its less likley you die in Mexico than in the USA...

If we love Mexico (I do) and want to help, then we have no choice but to talk good about it, and good about the many good things...
Some people just watch CNN, or Fox news, and think they speak the 100%gospel, and it makes me sick to my stomach, because they have NO IDEA, and do not want to know, because if they did, they would actually go further into Mexico.. They seem to think that Tijuana, and Juarez is 99% of the entire country, which in fact is false...

[Edited on 4-5-2009 by MexicoGringoGuy]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2009 at 06:01 PM

Quote:
We do not lock our doors, I do not take my keys out of the car, I'm never looking over my shoulder.

I hope it never changes for you. The scenario is seen on TV in the states all the time...a housewife being interviewed on the news saying, "Who would have ever thought that this tragedy would happen in our neighborhood. It's always so peaceful."

Oh well...enjoy it while you have it but, be aware of your world. It's part of the big one too.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 4-5-2009 at 06:11 PM

Dennis

I don't have a business only live here feeling totally comfortable, not locking anything except my car when in town. I have told people more than once that I think we live in one of the safest places in the world. Not that it can't change but I'm also comfortable with the authorities checking cars everywhere, they do not want it to get started here and I believe they will keep it from happening.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2009 at 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan

I don't have a business only live here feeling totally comfortable, not locking anything except my car when in town. I have told people more than once that I think we live in one of the safest places in the world. Not that it can't change but I'm also comfortable with the authorities checking cars everywhere, they do not want it to get started here and I believe they will keep it from happening.

I hope you're right, Wiley, and I hope it stays that way forever. Here, in Ensenada, that secure feeling is gone. Hit-n-run and car theft are epidemic but, as you and others down there enjoy a seemingly secure life, please try to remember that Ensenada was once like that as well.
synch
Nomad

Mood: wandering...

[*] posted on 4-14-2009 at 01:24 PM

Crime in general or crime against visitors?

When you look at who is targetted in the US vs Mexico, you'll see that visitor's/tourists in Mexico have a far higher proportion of crime incidents against them than in the US.

And that statistic is far more important to many here on the board.

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

I have lived in Baja California Sur, in the town of Buena Vista, for the past 18 years. There has always been a feeling of safety here, greater than when living in the US.

Comparing one place to another is unrealistic. It results in meaningless statistics.
I would say you have a vested interest in good press about your area and your appraisel of the situation is every bit as disingenuous as sensational reports of rampant crime for the sake of selling news.
Criminal incidents take place in random spots it seems and it's beyond me to imagine how you know your area is immune to these occurances in the future.
How on earth can you even begin to sell a country which had 7000 deaths attributed to drug violence in one year? That doesn't sound like such a safe place to me. But, I'm not running a tourist oriented business as I believe you are.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.