Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tuna Sizzle on the Cape; Roosters at Zihuatanejo
bajafly
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2004 at 10:13 AM
Tuna Sizzle on the Cape; Roosters at Zihuatanejo

REPORT FROM GARY GRAHAM'S BAJA ON THE FLY:?
PROVIDING QUALITY SALTWATER FLY-FISHING 365 DAYS A YEAR SOUTH OF THE BORDER.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: bajafly@bajafly.com; USA toll-free (800)
919-2252; Mexico 011-52-624-14-10373?
Sat., June 12, 2004. Report covers the period Sat.-Fri. (6/5-6/11)?
EAST CAPE, MAGDALENA BAY, ZIHUATANEJO, MEXICO; AND SAN JOSE, GUATEMALA CONDITIONS
EAST CAPE, BAJA CALIFORNIA, MEXICO
IN GENERAL:? ?I guess if I have to leave the East Cape, I might as well do it on a good note. My last two trips of the spring were as fun as any. Yesterday, Matt Amann, Denver, and I went out on a panga from?Hotel Buena Vista. It was Matt's first saltwater excursion and the reports I had given him?from the last few trips?had him excited. Sadly, we had a slow first hour or two. He hung in there like a trooper though, and fished hard through the drought as I encouraged him with the "a lot of games are won in the second half" routine. Sure enough, we got on them. We found a mixed school of roosters, ladyfish, and jack crevalle that had Matt ?reeling.? As any first-timer would be, he was amazed by the speed, power and beauty of the roosters. We got some great pictures of him with his first roosters and a couple of medium-sized jacks.?We were teasing with live sardines and had some really aggressive ladyfish attacks.
Today, the Tal Vickers group, Mobile, Ala., and I took a cruiser out to the deep blue.?It was their first day in?Mexico and they ?just wanted to catch some fish.? I recommended some tuna fishing after the yellowfin treated the Potters so well the other day. I can't say enough about how much I enjoyed fishing on RELENTLESS, a cruiser from Los Palmas Hotel. The captain and mate were proficient and enthusiastic. We got on the yellowfin immediately after about a 45 minute run. We found out?why the boat was named?RELENTLESS after 14 tuna on relatively light tackle: 9 and10 weights.
All in all, it's a classic way to leave the East Cape ? some fresh sashimi and a cold Pacifico!?
(This is Josh?s last report as he headed out for a summer in Wyoming. He will be back guiding for us in the fall.)
-East Cape report by Baja on the Fly guide Josh Dickenson
AIR & SEA -
Water temperature 70-84
Air temperature 75-88
Humidity about 42%
Wind: Calm
Conditions: Clear?
Visibility 12 miles
Sunrise 6:32 a.m. MDT
Sunset 8:05 p.m. MDT
June 17 New, June 27 First Quarter July 2, Full, July 9 Last Quarter
??? OFFSHORE: Another good week with tuna leading the charge.? There was a decent billfish show including several sails as the water warms up. Good-sized single and double dorado and a few schools found as well.
??? INSHORE:? Some grande skipjack along with small roosters and some medium sized jacks.
??? BEACH: Few sardina, more mullet which is like candy to bubba. Pompano, ladyfish and I even caught a small snook in front of the house two nights in a row.
?BILLFISH ? Good show for the last few weeks if you target them.
?YELLOWFIN TUNA ? Good sized fish that will make you feel like you have been in a bar brawl.
?DORADO ? Mostly good-sized pairs with a few schools found under anything floating.
?ROOSTERFISH\ JACK CREVALLE ? Plenty to look at, the trick is to get them to bite.
?BARRILETE OR MEXICAN SKIPJACK ? Several reports of the largest they had ever seen, whatever that means.?
PARGO AND CABRILLA ? Best in low light on rock reefs.
SIERRA ? Still under the receivers at La Ribera if you have a hankering for ceviche.
?
MAGDALENA BAY, BAJA CALIFORNIA, MEXICO
IN GENERAL: Still only a few fishing this week. Offshore, the tuna guys are reporting the water is still cool and all they can find is skipjack. Up in the esteros, corvina remain the mainstay, a few pompano and, of course, plenty of spotted bay bass
Water Temperature 64-70
Air Temperature 68-77
Humidity 77%
Wind 2 mph from NW
Conditions Scattered Clouds
Visibility 3 miles
Sunrise 6:36 a.m. MDT
Sunset 8:16 p.m. MDT?
YELLOWTAIL ? Still among the missing
CORVINA ? Bread and Butter fish these days.
SNOOK ? Elusive as usual?
HALIBUT ? Bouncing a chartreuse Clouser along a sandy bottom almost a sure thing.?
SIERRA ? Even that rumor went away.
?
ZIHUATANEJO, MAINLAND MEXICO?
IN GENERAL:? The 80? blue water is only a mile from the beach. Fishing has been very good for our normal ?bread and butter? species: roosterfish, jack crevalle and sailfish. But, the marlin and tuna have pulled a disappearing act.?
The Schlagel family, of the San Francisco Bay area, fished with captain Cali on the panga ?Zapatito Gordo? and released 5 sailfish. However, most boats are averaging a 2 or 3 sailfish day. ?
The roosterfish action has really heated up, with Arturo on the panga ?Janeth? recording the best day we have had for a long time. He got 14 roosters for his clients, averaging from?about 30- to 45-pounds. The fish were all taken on surface poppers and slow trolled live bait.??Anival, the 1st mate of the ?Don Gordo,? took clients out to the White Rocks and nailed a 60 pound rooster, 28 pound pargo, and several large jacks. (Anival has taken over the helm of the ?Don Gordo? now that Captain Poli has his new boat, the ?Don Gordo II?.)
Water Temperature 72-78
Air Temperature 78-86
Humidity 74%
Wind Calm
Conditions T Storms
Visibility 8 miles
Sunrise 7:10 a.m. CDT
Sunset 8:21 p.m. CDT
Baja on the Fly's Zihuatanejo report by Ed Kunze
SAN JOSE, GUATEMALA
IN GENERAL:? Typical summer conditions with thunder showers the norm. Most of the boats remained at the dock with the crews sharing stories of yesterday?s exploits and tomorrow?s hopes. The fishing remained the same with few if any clients to take advantage of the extraordinary sailfishing just a few miles offshore.
Water Temperature 79-85
Air Temperature 80-82
Humidity 94 %
Wind Calm.
Conditions Chance of T-storms
Visibility 14 miles
Sunrise 6:35 a.m. CST
Sunset 6:31 p.m. CST
?
?
Baja on the Fly's Guatemala report by Brian Barragy and Lissa M. McFarlin.
?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.