Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Cilantro
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 6-14-2004 at 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO
Funny, I've noticed that people who don't like cilantro REALLY don't like it. I wonder if it's some sort of chemically or biologically based aversion.

You got that right! Other items that I don't care for I can simplyly eat around, but not that stuff. I have heard the soap referrence like Debra said, but I never had my mouth washed out with soap, so I can't relate!:lol::lol:

With all this talk about chili rellenos, I think I'll give them a try again. I had them once about 30 years ago and was not that impressed and never ordered them again. I'll try them at the place JR mentioned.

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet
P.S. Jeans, Where did you tend Bar in Texas?

For eleven of the longest months of my life I lived in Big Spring, TX working at a radio station with my sister who had moved there with her family when her husband got his first teaching job out of college.

When the station sold, I was "last hired, first fired" and got a job in Midland tending bar at Gardsky's. (Looks like Bennigans here). A month later, I had enough of Texas and came home. Miss the bar-b-que there but not much else.

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2004 at 03:37 PM

The very best chili rellenos we have ever eaten is during chili rellenos night (I think it's on a Thursday) at Jungle Jim's in Mulege, along the river. Absolutely mouth watering!! The place gets PACKED every chili rellenos night... Bob H:yes:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2004 at 03:57 PM
Thanks Bob

I'll be stoppin.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2004 at 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCalAl
...... now it is one of my aunts and a sister that get them right. Although all 7 of my aunts and 20 or so cousins can cook them. Only those two people inherited my grandma's special touch. I am the third (I think?). ....... :spingrin:

SoCalAL......I think those on this board may require an unbiased outside opinion of your families chile relleno cooking skills. In my usual unselfish manner let me be the first to volunteer my services in the name of gastronomic enlightenment! :biggrin::lol::spingrin::tumble::D;):cool::saint:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-14-2004 at 06:12 PM

Matt, you and Barb come down to Gecko for the Fourth... Alex is a super nice guy and a gourmet chef... really!

If my memory serves me, we met Alex and Juan at China's (Chee-nah) taco stand (north of Las Hamacas, in front of the Long Distance phone/Internet store). They were looking for a place to stay and Debra invited them to Camp Gecko... great Baja connection made! They shared some great tasting (and spicy) things with us... muy buenos amigos!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2004 at 06:36 PM
This is what Nomads are all About!!

Jeans; thanks fir the Personal Info. A good number of the Haggerton Family live in and around Big Springs, and Midland Texas!
My GrandFather was a "Commission Man for Cattle and Horses He died in a Hit and run Accident in 1939, the case was solved a year later just from the ID on a Hub Cab left at the scene.
His three boys rasied and trained Polo Ponies for the Eastern Seaboard Nobbies.

Many , many years ago I 'Cowboyed" on a 10 Section Ranch North of Big Springs'{$90 Bucks a Month and Found"
Had to take care of 1500 sheep and 2,000 head of Spanish Goats and a string of Horses for the Winter of 1949.

That made me realize that there must be a better way to make a living.

Guess you know that George Bush Sr. came to Midland as a young man, selling Oil and Gas Leases.

Us Texans have produced a few Past Presidents for this Great country.

Did you have many calls at the Bar for a "Beer with a Gin Float?

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 6-14-2004 at 07:48 PM
Rellenos in Oakdale

Come on over and try Teresa's.... they are the greatest.
The secret>>>> Eat 'em as soon as possible out of the deep fryer.... of course they are waaaayyyyy hot coming out, but that is when they are best.
As to the comment on frijoles as the standard- sorry, frijoles are a piece of cake compared to rellenos.
Also, taking a green Gringo to Mexico the first time is a cultural shift as to the food.
Folks who think they like Mexican food will not find food South of Ensenada anything close to what they are accustomed.
So, an adjustment is necessary and a warning is in order prior to ordering.

Baja Arriba!!
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2004 at 09:19 AM

Holy Guacamole, SoCalAl! You haven't stepped on anyone's toes. I wouldn't judge a Mexican restaurant by its beans any more than I'd judge a U.S. one by its mashed potatoes--and when it comes to places where a lot of local people or truck drivers stop, this may be because the food is good, or they may just have pretty waitresses, or they may have a spectacular view.

But there haven't been any notable differences of opinion in this exchange. If you want to experience toe-stepping-on, click on the Off-Topic section and say something nice--or not-so-nice--about George Bush or John Kerry. Either one will start a ruckus.

bajalera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2004 at 01:22 PM

Over the years spent in Baja Sur, I have watched the opening of several "Taco Stand" One Day in Cuicad Constitution I ask my Friend the rule for Success.
He replied"A pretty Girl in a short Skirt and Low Blouse"Later i observed that the Food was better at the Mom and Pops places such as "Tony's" across the Street from the Cochina Hotel.
Several years ago on my first Visit to Flordia as We approached St, Petes on Hwy 19, there were many Hot Dog and Peanut Stands all being operated by Girls Dressed in Short Shorts and Very small Tops. The next year or so they were removed by the Locals and now they have them all in one Place "Hooters'.

Moral of this Story: To Each his Own.

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"
jeans
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2004 at 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto

Did you have many calls at the Bar for a "Beer with a Gin Float?

Never heard of it. I do remember my first night tending bar in Wyoming. My first customer at the Elks Club in Jackson Hole ordered a "ditch". I thought he said b-tch.

This ain't California anymore.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
Jeans; thanks fir the Personal Info. A good number of the Haggerton Family live in and around Big Springs, and Midland Texas!

I think I met one of them. I was giving a presentation to a business owner...a guy who sold RVs & travel trailers. As I was explaining the benefits of a drive-time campaign, he stops me, and while looking deep into my eyes asked, "Have you been born again?"

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2004 at 01:05 AM
Beer with a Gin Float

Jeans. I am not a Born Again Christain.

I was Baptized at 8 years of age in a Creek behind the Calvary Baptist Church near Sweetwater Texas, and then again at the First Baptist church of amarillo Texas at 16 years of age. I was so ornery it tooktwo dippins to make me a Believer!!

Was a Youth leader when I workded on the Ranch, riding my Horse 4 miles to church.

After going into the Navy, became a 'Back -Slider" until last october when i redicated my life to Christ for the Purpose of Paying back the Lord for all the times he Saved my Life!{airplanes, Boats, cars}.

Now I help People who are in need,especially children.

I was only born Once!

Several years ago while working at a Bar and Resturant at Buck Meadows Lodge near Yosemite} the Tunnel Hands working on the Cherry Tunnel would come in early in the Morning and order a Beer Float.

A Glass of Beer with a Shot Glass of Gin slowly dropped to the Bottom of the Glass ,where the Gin slowly moved upward giving the Beer a very different Taste. Try it sometime.

In the Genology files there does not seem to be any Preachers in my Past, but you should have been around to attend a couple of "Hell Fire and Damnation' Sermons during that time, made the hair stand up on your Neck!!!

have you ever heard anyone Talk in "tongues" ?

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2004 at 05:58 AM
Elks Lodge

Jackson Hole 1972, 73, 74, 75. Lived a mile past Teton Village so had to ski in in the winter. Had moose for neighbors and girlfriend Dixie.
Ring any bells Jeans ?
jeans
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2004 at 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
Jackson Hole 1972, 73, 74, 75. Lived a mile past Teton Village so had to ski in in the winter. Had moose for neighbors and girlfriend Dixie.
Ring any bells Jeans ?

Poker Flats area? I think we had this conversation before. I remember a Dixie who came to town from down south with a girlfriend. Blond, quite the party-girl, but this was later. I was there '75-'79

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet
have you ever heard anyone Talk in "tongues" ?

My goodness this thread is seriously off-track. No Skeet, I would usually cut them off before they got that drunk.
:lol::lol:
GeoRock
Nomad

Mood: Always have one

[*] posted on 6-16-2004 at 10:41 AM

:o My worst Mexican food to date? Found too far north of the border in Anchorage, Alaska.

:light: My most interesting and laugh-causing chile rellanos to date . . . found in Louisville, Kentucky at a Mexican restaurant. The chiles were breaded and fried just as Kentucky Fried Chicken pieces. It was at least 15 years ago, and I was shell-shocked. First couple bites I didn't appreciate, being used to California's egg-batter versions. But as I ate more and more, I liked it better and better. Now adays, I hate the egg-batter type. Give me Mexico's version of stuffed and fried chiles without the disgusting puffy batter over them.

And guess what? When I make them at home, I recreate Kentucky's version. I call them my Kentucky Fried Rellanos. Yumm.

http://reinventmyself.isagenix.com
For rapid weight loss; building of lean muscle for athletes; and overall improved health through nutritional cleansing.
SoCalAl
Nomad

Mood: Hungry

[*] posted on 6-16-2004 at 10:42 AM

Been gone for a couple of days. You have to stop everything you are doing when it comes to funerals and graduations. Can't believe how we went from cilantro to chiles rellenos and now this? WOW, this is better than having a conversation with my best friend in a restaurant. You know how those go, you start with one topic and work your way through the entire lifetime of subjects. Maybe it's time to change the subject and make a new post. For what ever it's worth I will be cooking some chiles rellenos at camp gecko on the 4th of July. I will make 30 first come first serve, me you provide your own boos. :tumble:
GeoRock
Nomad

Mood: Always have one

[*] posted on 6-16-2004 at 10:43 AM

Almost forgot to post this: at a Chinese restaurant in TJ recently, Jeans ordered a (???) shrimp dish. It came covered generously in cilantro. As she hates cilantro, it was grounds for a hearty laugh.

http://reinventmyself.isagenix.com
For rapid weight loss; building of lean muscle for athletes; and overall improved health through nutritional cleansing.
Heather
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2004 at 11:20 AM

Just to add my 2 cents. I also order chili rellenos in restaurants, not as a test, but just that they're so darn hard to make! It takes a good 2 hours to get everything done; from peeling the chilis to beating the eggs just right to stuffing them without the cheese falling out and then the eggs falling off...jeez...that's why I'll order them if they're on the menu!

I do agree though, that there are good frijoles and not so good, so that is more of an indication of the quality of the food to me as well. Guess it depends on how much lard is used! Tortillas also make a difference in quality of the restaurant...home made or store bought!

Two more weeks and I'll be enjoying some of these good eats! We're heading South! Saludos, H.
jeans
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2004 at 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GeoRock
Almost forgot to post this: at a Chinese restaurant in TJ recently, Jeans ordered a (???) shrimp dish. It came covered generously in cilantro. As she hates cilantro, it was grounds for a hearty laugh.

Um...we were in Mexicali, remember? You were driving!

But that wasn't nearly as funny as you & Roper trying to order vegetarian from a Chinese waiter who, of course, did not speak English....but then we figured out he didn't speak Spanish, either! :lol: How many waiters did it take for you two to order? They looked so relieved when I announced that I liked meat!

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 6-17-2004 at 12:25 PM

If you are in Mulege go to Professora Angelina's in the Pemex building on the highway and try her Chile Relleno de Mariscos. No cheese inside but rather shrimp, scallops, and fish. The batter is delicious and then it is topped with a walnut cream sauce, sounded a little strange to me but my friends said it was great and they were right. For about $7.00 you get two of these with all the fixin's which was more than I could eat, took one home to reheat the next day. Also she has shrimp in mango or tamarind salsa that is outstanding. Great little place.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.