Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: East Cape whale shark sighting
vseasport
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2009 at 09:49 AM
East Cape whale shark sighting

Monday we had our first whale shark sighting of the season. My best guess of size was about 30 feet long. The shark was very docile and having the boat near by didn’t seem to bother or spook it. Our sighting was in the early afternoon just south of Punta Pescadero.

Besides the whale shark this past week was all about Leopard Grouper in the Marine Park, I say this because it proved to be very difficult to find an area of the dive sites which weren't completely inundated with them. When leading a group of divers it can be difficult to point out the smaller, macro life when surrounded by hundreds of pounds of big fish whichever way you turn. At times I got the impression that it would be easier to just sit still in one place rather than try and fight my way through all the fish, not really a bad predicament to be in I might add! With reduced visibility of 25 - 30 feet (that's without all the grouper obscuring the view) and bottom temperatures of 72' Fahrenheit, we kept snug in our 5mm full wetsuits and warmed up whilst languishing in the sun on our surface interval. Our guests were blown away by all the life on offer and in particular the free swimming Panamic Green Morays, as thick as my thigh, that were snaking their way through the rocks and gullies. Guitar fish, Cortez and Diamond Stingrays were all sighted as well as several colourful Nudibranchs.
bajalorena
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2009 at 05:05 PM

Wow, Mark, that is good news. I remember the time we saw one at the end of a fishing day. John grabbed a snorkel and mask from below deck and jumped in to swim with it.
They are so docile, not at all spooked. I bet your divers and snorkelers got a thrill with seeing it.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 4-30-2009 at 08:59 PM

Excellent!

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

vseasport
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 05:50 PM

Yes, it is always a rush to see such a magnificent animal. Everyone always goes bonkers. Wish I had kept better records through the years. I can't recall sighting a whale shark in April. Several in May and June so it looks like they are early this year. BTW lorraine, your new web site looks awesome.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 05:55 PM

No photos to share with the class?

vseasport
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 06:57 PM

Actually I do have some cool photos. Being a Newbie I haven't figured out how to post them. Nothing I try seems to work. We are Mac addicts, don't know if that is causing problems or what?
bajalorena
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 09:32 PM

Thanks, Mark. I think it shows the house quite well, and now it is all ready for when everyone is over this swine flu scare. Although, for those that are familiar with this area, they have not canceled at all. www.bajatorres.com

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.