Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: baja surf trip
khargis
Junior Nomad

smile.gif posted on 5-31-2009 at 01:28 PM
baja surf trip

hola. i live in oregon and i am headin down south in august with my vw bus and dog 'lefty' in search for waves and a new place to live. have always wanted to make it down to baja, so it is settled. wonderin if anyone has any input on a solo trip w/dog (spots, safety, drive times federales, etc) not opposed by any means to linkin' up with fellow travelers and offerin a spot in the bus 'bad danger' is her name. this is a very vague posting, but just in the beginning stages of the plan. hope this finds ya'll well and would appreciate any feedback. cheers, kris
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2009 at 04:41 PM

Welcome to the Nomads. I did a "search" (just below the Nomad logo at the top of the page) for "surf spots" and got this: http://forums.bajanomad.com/misc.php?action=search
You can put more detailed in your search as you become more familiar with areas that interest you. I'm not a surfer, even though I grew up in Laguna, but what I've heard is southern Baja during Aug can be awesome. Try http://www.scorpionbay.net/ or maybe http://www.surfingsandiego.com/BajaGuide/scorpion-bay.asp
Have fun!

[Edited on 6-1-2009 by Russ]
khargis
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2009 at 04:56 PM

cheers mate!
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2009 at 06:26 PM

Buy this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Surfers-Guide-Baja-Mike-Parise/dp/0967...

yuletide
khargis
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2009 at 06:36 PM

word!
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2009 at 06:40 PM

Well I'm glad you found this place. ;)

Like many here, I've been traveling to Baja since I was born. The thought of going down blindfolded is a hefty task. I commend you!

Since you're going down in August, you will want to check out south of Guerrero Negro. Being a surfer its pretty natural to be secretive of spots, and you probably can relate.

Of course, Scorpion Bay is always a hot destination for the summer months. Often crowded, and a hell of a drive across the peninsula, offers some good waves if you get it on a big swell.

Many spots are guarded by deep moon dust and long relentless dirt roads. If you trust your VW and know how to fix it, the possibilities are endless.

Baja is a special place, I hope you embark on your journey and find what you are looking for.

[Edited on 6-1-2009 by BooJumMan]
khargis
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2009 at 06:58 PM

it does seem a little daunting, but wtf! i can relate, but thanks for the info. cheers brotha
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-1-2009 at 08:37 AM

see you in the summer bro....make sure you get here for the surf competition in mid august...wooo hooo...you gonna rock out at THE FIESTAS!!!!!!!!!!:bounce:

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2009 at 10:00 AM

Here's an bright idea:light: Contact Shari at the URL below her post or "U2U" her. I'm sure she can arrange a guide or 20 to show you where the best waves are for the swell coming thru at any given time.
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 6-16-2009 at 08:43 PM

Dont take any drugs

Good tires and brakes on van

Have the van inspected for mechanical issues

Take tools, spares, "Fix a flat"

English Spanish dictionary

Dont drive at night ... ever

Dont cross the border before daybreak

Use the Tecate border crossing

Try to take a partner

Dont camp alone on a beach in full view of Mex1

Try to camp around other people

be friendly to the locals and they will help you with anything

Good luck You will have a blast

No worries
fernando
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2009 at 09:56 PM

Make sure you send me an email when you are near Ensenada maybe i can take you to a few spots of the area if there are good waves which usually occur in the winter but like today there were some really good south swell waves.

Fernando

Baja Outfitters & Adventures
www.baja-outfitters.com
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2009 at 07:11 AM

Make sure Lefty gets a dose of Frontline before you go. The local dogs are often infested with fleas and ticks. Take extra everything. It will be HOT, HOT, HOT. Get the vehicle's air conditioner working real good. If it doesn't have one, a 12V fan will help - a little.

Imodium (Loperamide), extra set of keys, copies of important docs, and a first aid kit are important to have and often overlooked. You'll be real glad you have them if you need them.

What are you driving?

P.S. I can recall getting 4 flat tires in Baja and can't recall ever getting one in the states. I always take a good bottle jack and some blocks of wood to use beneath the jacks. There have been a couple of times where having two jacks and the wood blocks have saved the situation. Make sure you're ready to change a tire in the worst place. Plus the jacks can be big help in getting unstuck.

[Edited on 6-17-2009 by k-rico]
24baja
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wishing we were in BOLA

[*] posted on 6-17-2009 at 01:36 PM

Where in Oregon are you from? Have a great trip.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.