Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fishing on the drive?
Heather
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2004 at 07:45 AM
Fishing on the drive?

My husband and a friend are driving down to BCS and want to do some fishing on the way. How is Guerro Negro for this? They have about 4 days before the friend needs to meet his buddies in Buena Vista. I'm thinking if they leave San Diego on the 23rd they can fish in GN on the 24th, and then get to Loreto and fish there the 25th or 26th. Are those good spots to fish? Johnny, the friend, is staying about a week in BV for fishing. The girls and I are flying down and we'll be in Cabo for about a month. Hubby is very familiar with Cabo waters, but not the rest of the peninsula. Would they be better to go to somewhere like BOLA instead of GN?

Thanks, and if you're in Cabo in July, stop by and say hi. We're in 4 de marzo, on the paved road that goes into town. Look for the trailer with all the kids. I think we have some politico sayings on our fence "partido convergencia"...across from Ulises house painting! Saludos. H.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2004 at 07:48 AM
Bahia Magdalena

would be my choice for fishing on the way down.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-15-2004 at 07:57 AM

Surf fishing or in a panga?
The best surf fishing is about 20 miles north of Guerrero Negro and you need 4WD to cross some sand dunes to get to 'Variety Beach', just north of Moro Santo Domingo/ Laguna Manuela. See photos in my Baja Album http://community-2.webtv.net/baja4me/album/page4.html

[Edited on 6-15-2004 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Heather
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2004 at 10:19 AM

Bahia Magdelana is?? Close to the road or off the path jr?

DavidK, I think they're planning on the panga fishing, although they may be bringing a Kayak. Antonio's getting his toyota 4X4 ready for the drive. We've been debating on what car to take, mine is a bit more comfortable for driving around Cabo, but you know guys and their trucks!! saludos, H.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2004 at 10:33 AM
Close Heather

In my opinion, the best place is Puerto Lopez Mateos. Go to Ciudad Insurgentes and turn right. The road is paved but beware of many potholes. It's about a half hour to Bahia Magdalena.
It won't be crowded at this time of year and it is a kayaker/fishermens paradise.
Camping spots outside of town right on the water.
Or, Puerto San Carlos is a more populated village with hotels, Hotel Brennan is a nice one and I believe they have a website.
And, although I don't know the beach David is talking about, that general area is famous for White Sea Bass right off the beach.
Maybe a little of both?:light:
Heather
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2004 at 11:03 AM

Thanks jr, I'll let the guys know about the fishing in that area. Is bahia las tortugas in that same area? My husband spent some time in that area with his dad when he was a youngster. Guess my suegro, a truck driver, used to haul loads from La Paz to that area. As the story goes he hauled in and installed the first light poles in las tortugas. My husband brings it up every time we make the drive south...he just remembers how long it would take to go from La Paz to "el valle" (as he calls it), the grinding of the gears in the hot truck, and all the cafe his dad would drink!! I'm just glad his dad dropped him off in Cabo to become a fisherman with his grandfather, instead of a truck driver in La Paz like his brothers! Saludos, H.:biggrin:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2004 at 11:13 AM
Bahia Tortugas

although a great place to go is not a place to go on the way to somewhere else. Long, long washboard road to get there.
Both the area David was talking about and Bahia Magdalena are easily accessable and can both be done on the way to --that other place.:lol:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.