BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Hurricane Window Protection?
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 7-18-2009 at 03:24 PM

toneart, It'll work against wind and wind driven rain. Flood water from the river? You'll get seepage, but not as much silt.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 7-18-2009 at 04:33 PM

I am not one of the guys trying this experiment. I too have my doubts, but they really have the houses sealed up pretty well. I hope it works for them.:)

bajario
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2011 at 05:09 AM

Every window manufacturer in business should be able to supply laminated glass. We install it daily on the local and not so local bases to comply with the ATFP (Anti Terrorist Force Protection) guidelines. Most of our manufactured windows come from Kansas or Perris CA.

I wouldn't bother with the film. With all the sand and cleaning its bound to scratch up.
C-Urchin
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2011 at 09:56 AM
Hurricane Shutters

I am researching this matter too, from what I read the worst case scenario is the wind getting inside your house and lifting your roof.

It appears that the best protection is something that will stop debris coming in the house even if gets banged up and the glass gets broken AND still stop the wind from coming in. I would like to know how this is possible with the fabrics panels and film on the glass?

A huge plus is the burglar repellent effect. After a storm the power is out and there is only so much battery life to the house alarm, or the patrol cannot come because of debris in the streets...

I saw a consumer testing news report from Florida and the "accordion" type shutter did the best. Plywood was not very good.

Any recommendations from anyone with experience?

*Be the man your dog thinks you are
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2011 at 12:38 PM

Does being from the Mississippi Gulf Coast count as experience? Been thru countless hurricanes. Look 'em up if you want. Raised with one foot in the gulf and the other in the marsh. Plywood works. I'm sure the "accordion" works also. The storm surge is the killer! All the plywood, accordion shutters and anything I know of will be to no avail. Picture a 20' surf knocking on your door.:)
C-Urchin
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2011 at 12:49 PM
hurricane shutters

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Does being from the Mississippi Gulf Coast count as experience? Been thru countless hurricanes. Look 'em up if you want. Raised with one foot in the gulf and the other in the marsh. Plywood works. I'm sure the "accordion" works also. The storm surge is the killer! All the plywood, accordion shutters and anything I know of will be to no avail. Picture a 20' surf knocking on your door.:)

I am in La Paz and I have elevation, if the surf makes it up to Avenida Revolucion near the Sanctuary, we are all hopelessly lost. All my neighbors are locals so there is a wee bit of ...huhm..."debris" that can get airborne.

Main house is 3 stories and guest house is 2 stories, lots of glass. TALL glass. Trying to figure this out. Any advice is really appreciated.:light:

Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2011 at 01:15 PM

Check out the elevations. How many feet above sea level etc.;)
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2011 at 02:48 PM

We did the cloth on a really large porch at my girlfriends house in Punta Chivato and it is the coolest thing you have ever seen. First of all, it lets in light so you do not have the dark hole to deal with. Second, flying debris will make a major hole in the plywood and you do not have the repelling quality that you have with hurricane fabric. She leaves it rolled up next to the ceiling and it only takes a few minutes to roll down and secure the screws on the sides in the event of a hurrican. Finally, it works very well in the winter time when down and has made a new room on the front porch that adds a large dining area to the house. It does let a small amount of air bypass the cloth but it works very well to put up in the wintertime when we have the howling north winds to deal with.
Be sure to check out the videos.

J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 10-5-2011 at 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by C-Urchin
Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress

I also spent a good part of my life on the Gulf Coast and lost a home in 1983 . My advice would be secure the place best as you can then GET THE HELL OUT OF DODGE. as it was the hurricane did a lot of dammage. but the TORNADO That proceded the Hurricane did the real damage. If I am ever agian faced with the same situation I will RUNNNNNNNN.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 10-5-2011 at 03:40 PM

Hurricanes & Chubascos! Love 'em and hate 'em.

Proof is in the pudding. Over the years at 3 Baja homes, I merely used heavy gauge hurricane clips from all the stringers/rafters to the heavy roofing sheets. Spaced them about 2 feet apart for the entire roof. The houses were built to breathe....and sometimes snore.

My low single story Casa Coyote below has been there in every hurricane and chubasco since 1970. Still standing, no roof loss, and have lost zero windows out of ? Carmen says ..."Too many P-nche ventanas!"

I doubt I just got lucky, like when fishing....or in those college days. ;)

At another beachhome in Costa Rica, I will be a little more elaborate because of the multi-level architecture...and most likely use similar protection as mentioned in the previous posts. No blocking out the light, though...If I gotta go, I wanna enjoy the final view.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
C-Urchin
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2011 at 10:36 PM
Hurricane protection

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulclark
After years of using plywood we changed to fabric shutters 2 years ago and couldn't be happier. It is relatively easy to install the anchoring system and they are easy to put up when a storm is coming, even in a light breeze. They are rated for the worst conditions in Florida, especially flying debris. The other plus is that they are somewhat transparent so you can see through them and light still gets in. We have large windows on our second floor and I have no trouble istalling them at the end of a 20 ft. ladder.( 5 ft. by 22 ft. of glass) The cost is between the cost of plywood and the cost of aluminum panels. We ordered them over the internet and they were delivered in 2 weeks. Go to: http://www.hurricanefabric.com/index.php
The only negative is that they do not help secure your house from burglars.
Paul

I contacted the company in Florida, they could not answer my questions about my glass. I have LOTS of large windows, angles, etc...I wanted to know how in the world is fabric going to protect the glass??? I know from the studies that plywood is useless against fast coming sharp projectiles, roll shutters are expensive. How does one protect the integrity of the windows? How is the fabric going to keep the wind out when the glass is gone?

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-5-2011 at 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by C-Urchin
Quote:
Originally posted by Paulclark
After years of using plywood we changed to fabric shutters 2 years ago and couldn't be happier. It is relatively easy to install the anchoring system and they are easy to put up when a storm is coming, even in a light breeze. They are rated for the worst conditions in Florida, especially flying debris. The other plus is that they are somewhat transparent so you can see through them and light still gets in. We have large windows on our second floor and I have no trouble istalling them at the end of a 20 ft. ladder.( 5 ft. by 22 ft. of glass) The cost is between the cost of plywood and the cost of aluminum panels. We ordered them over the internet and they were delivered in 2 weeks. Go to: http://www.hurricanefabric.com/index.php
The only negative is that they do not help secure your house from burglars.
Paul

I contacted the company in Florida, they could not answer my questions about my glass. I have LOTS of large windows, angles, etc...I wanted to know how in the world is fabric going to protect the glass??? I know from the studies that plywood is useless against fast coming sharp projectiles, roll shutters are expensive. How does one protect the integrity of the windows? How is the fabric going to keep the wind out when the glass is gone?

sounds like a good question to have asked when your architect was designing house.
i am surprised that architects and builders in hurricane country don't spec brackets/covers for protecting windows.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2011 at 05:12 AM

The Baja hurricanes are minimum storms, most only rate as tropical storms. The bulk of the damage is caused by water run-off, not wind.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 10-6-2011 at 05:33 AM

Pretty much so. The strongest winds recorded at my place in Coyote Bay were 90mph from a sudden chubasco (unnamed) back in 1979.

Rainfall? Well, that's an entirely different threat....like a monsoon at times.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
sully242

[*] posted on 11-19-2014 at 06:32 PM

What worked best through Odile?
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2014 at 07:23 PM

I can tell you some things that didn't work well for me here in Mulege.

Keep in mind that I'm talking about 9' of water and a 10-15 kt. current!

Plywood screwed to the windows held well TO THE WINDOWS. The big windows with the plywood still attached were lying about here and there in the yard. The hinges and latches failed. Next time, attach the plywood to the house!

Doors were just ripped off of the jambs. Next time, the doors get removed ahead of time. The house contents are all stored elsewhere for the Summer. Let the bats fly through and eat the stinking mosquitos.

A couple of frame walls with insulation and drywall. Forgeddaboutit. Next time, More concrete blocks and/or stone so that the shovels and pressure washers will have an easier job. 8" of mud takes some doing to remove.

We've been at it for under two weeks and except for the mud removal and inside pressure washing, we (71 and 64) have done it all ourselves. We are living in the house in reasonable luxury and peace.

Things I hadn't planned on were that the fancy ceiling fans were submerged. Bad news, they were seized up. Good news, they take ordinary car alternator bearings at $6 u.s. a pair.

You wouldn't believe how much mud can get deposited in those flushing water spaces in a toilet base.

That said, the wind wasn't that bad I'm told. I had the good sense to be a couple of thousand miles away during the storm.

Ah, well. Climate change? What's that?
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.