Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Diving in Baja
gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2004 at 09:45 PM

Mike,
That is a freaky story, and you guys wonder why the only thing I put in the air is my truck.

I think I will invest in the Sat phone before the AV band radio.

By the way, I have no Idea what IFR is but it sounds like "Cant see sh#t" weather in which case I vote that they change the letters to CSS weather.

And people say Im nuts because I freedive the islands...

GTB
daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 7-6-2004 at 10:16 PM

Wow, Martin, you have a plethora of choices now sugested, like where to go which was your original query, and it has extended nicely to (nearly) include what kind of bait to use on your spears. My sugestion is to just bring a camera and a wide appreciation of, and a sense of protection for, the flora and fauna that is both below and above the tide lines. That thirst comes naturally if you've been diving if I remember those days in the dim past when I did, and that applies anywhere in the world, right?

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 7-7-2004 at 07:49 AM
Dale

yes, get a sat phone - it is the best insurance. IFR is instrument flight rules, and yes they are valid when you CSS.
othertimes the rules are for VFR which means visual flight rules, or Can see chit.!

an av band handheld is really only good for pilots in a plane or as a grouund base station at uncontrolled fields. i use mine on the ground at Serenidad to talk to arriving pilotos and give them the field conditions. it's big fun.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2004 at 01:37 PM
Diving

I usually do most of my diving at home, wherever that might be........

Love is a wonderful thing.........Capt. George
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2004 at 02:01 PM
I don't think they were referring to

Muff, George.:lol:
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2004 at 07:20 AM

Back to the original question! Loreto is a great dive spot (despite the suggestion that it is 3rd rate). For instance, we just did 15 dives in 15 different spots between July 10 and July 17. Visibility was great. We had dolphins come down to check us out at 60'...we saw mating rays, a grouper the size of a vw bug...a school of mantas playing above us...many times we were totally surrounded by enormous schools of fish...there is a beautiful yellow polyp black coral forest...and on and on. It is true that the only hard coral reef is at Cabo Pulmo, but there are small hard coral heads around Loreto and elsewhere, but hard corals are not the only thing to see when diving. There is an enormous variety of soft corals to see, and the sea life, both little and big is spectacular. There are some books. One is Diving Baja California by Susan Speck who is one of the owners of the Dolphin Dive Shop in Loreto. This is a great shop. The divemaster, Rafael Murillo is from Loreto and really knows the places to go. We like it so much that this was the fourth time we have gone to Loreto for diving.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.