Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fishing License?
SoCalAl
Nomad

Mood: Hungry

[*] posted on 6-21-2004 at 04:13 PM
Fishing License?

I recently purchase three fishing licenses and a boat permit for a 10' boat. I was shocked to find out that they had a $10 surcharge for paperwork fees. I thought it was pretty steep to charge $10 smacks per document after we are already spending more for a Mexican fishing license than one in the US.

Does anyone know where to purchase a license in TJ, Rosarito, Ensenda and etc along the way to BOLA?

Is there any hidden fees once you purchase the permits and licenses in Mexico?

Kind of ticked without understanding why!:mad:

SoCalAl
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2004 at 04:24 PM
What about the boat fishing permit?

The surcharge is something I never heard of and so is the "boat fishing permit". On another post, it was stated you need fishing licenses, a boat permit, (standard procedure) and a boat fishing permit. 3 seperate items. Did anyone mention this to you ?
I am trying to learn but getting so confused, as usual!:?:

There is a Port Captain south of Rosarito who has issued permits for JetSkis/ Waverunners and I am not sure about the boat permits but probably the same as the others. I will find out about the fishing licenses.
There is also a port Captain on the old entrance to Ensenada where you used to be able to get both.
There is a tackle shop as soon as you get into Ensenada on the left that has fishing licenses.
Where did you purchase your licenses?
SoCalAl
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2004 at 04:41 PM

I got them at Savo Tackle in Santa Fe Spings, CA. I remember purchasing the licenses and permit last year without paying any kind of processing fee. I was quoted the regular price over the phone and after I got the reciept I noticed the $10 dollar surcharge or fee. I asked the guy at the counter and he said that the fee was charged by the Mexican government for paperwork fees. Appearantly this is how they were able to make them available in the US. I was baffled and stupidified. I did not return the license because it is so close to my departure date that I don't have time to f$$k around. But I sure don't want to be paying $10 bucks per document every year. I felt like I paid a fee to a Notery Public or something. Damnnnnn!

peees me off, when they just sneak it in like that.

SoCalAl
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2004 at 05:03 PM
And the boat fishing permit ?

besides the Mexican Fishing License and the Boat Permit?
SoCalAl
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2004 at 05:08 PM

Sorry JrBaja,
Just boat permit, not boat fishing permit. My mistake.
I just went to the bagabundos web site and found that some places do quote the $10 additional dollars in the permits and licenses. I guess Baja is getting more and more expensive these days?

Have a nice day all....
bajabum
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2004 at 06:38 PM

I think you can buy them at the diaz mercado also......

Work is just something I do to keep me buzy between baja trips!
SoCalAl
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2004 at 06:47 AM

Thank You All for the info..

soCalAl:yes:
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 6-22-2004 at 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
(619)233-6956

This is the place to go. Alternatively, Dona Jenkins in San Diego charges a minimal fee, but no surcharge, or SQC Corp, also in San Diego.
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2004 at 09:21 PM

diaz doesnt have them but guillermos does and there about the same price as the border. :coolup:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-22-2004 at 09:31 PM
Q. for 4baja

Steve, in a nutshell can you clear up the questions for me?

1) Are 3 seperate licenses/permits required by the fishing boat owner (Fishing License, Boat Permit, and Boat Fishing Permit)?

2) Are fishing licenses required only for adults?
Will 15 y/o Chris need one if he goes out with you or SoCalAl?

3) What dates do you plan on being at Gecko?

4) Where is the fireworks factory/distributor in Ensenada you go to and how late are they open?

Thank you Steve... not sure if we are coming yet, but I sure hope so!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 6-23-2004 at 06:06 AM

There is only one "boat permit" required for ordinary vacationers that trailer their boat to Baja.

Each person on that boat MUST have a fishing license regardless of age.

A crew list is required. This is a list of all the people on the boat.

If you check in with the port captain he will give you a permission slip to use his waters. This may not be necessary at the BOLA I know it's not in Mulege. It's very important in La Paz and Loreto.

Commercial registration and private registration may be the difference.:yes::yes:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2004 at 06:40 AM

it depends on what port you go to dave as for me i get one boat permit per boat and anybody on your boat regarless of age must have a fishing license if you have fishing gear on board. if no fishing gear then no worrys. some ports are more laid back then others but i would hate to loose my boat because someone was to cheap to purchase one. you do not need a fishing permit as this is what the license is for. i allways get fishing licenses for everybody on my boat because tho you may be out for just a leasure trip you never know when a fishing opportunity may happen. will be leaving here on the 1st of july. allso as for fireworks, i would just go down town till you see a shop with fireworks and buy. i have a few locations were i buy but its hard to find and i'm not good with directions. have a safe trip down. :coolup:
SoCalAl
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2004 at 07:22 AM

Sorry if I confused anyone with the "Boat Fishing Permit" part. It is only the boat permit and the fishing license. I spoke to the secraterary of pescaderia and she said that sometimes the game warden will excercise very firmly. Even if he finds ONE HOOK on the boat that gives him grounds to ask for a fishing license. I don't know how true that is but with Mexican authorities, I don't want to take any chances. :) David K, I will be leaving on the 2nd of July. When are you headed down there?
El Almirante
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2004 at 08:02 AM
Boat permit/Fishing License

I would highly recommend the Dept. of Fisheries in San Diego. You can call them at the # listed on one of the above posts. They will fax or mail you an application. You must pay by certified check or money order, and be sure that the fees on the application are current. But they don't charge any extra fees, and you can usually get your permit and license back in the mail within 5 days of the daye you mail it.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2004 at 08:11 AM
You can get it immediately

if you go there in person.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-23-2004 at 08:17 AM
4baja

If we go, it will be Fri. the 2nd... return Tue. the 6th. We will likely go via San Felipe/Gonzaga Bay and buy goodies at that place north of SF.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2004 at 01:40 PM
Last word? Perhaps?

Just got info from Vagabundos: "In order to operate a boat that carries fishing equipment in Mexican waters, it is necessary to hold a valid boat permit and personal fishing licenses for everyone on board the boat, regardless of age and whether fishing or not. A license is not required when fishing from land."

Boat Permits for under 23 ft $32.55/year, 23 ft to 29 ft 11 in $65.10/year. Fishing license $22.90/week, $32.80/month, $42.70/year.

Oficina de Pesca 2550 Fifth Avenue 101,
San Diego, CA 92103. (619) 233 6956,
FAX (619) 233 0344.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2004 at 01:45 PM
Thanks everyone

I knew it would become perfectly clear to me one day. That would be today. :lol:
I get confused easily!
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 6-23-2004 at 02:56 PM

We purchased a boat permit in May in Mexico 23-26 foot 650 pesos ($57.78@11.25 pesos per dollar)

Fishing Permit 427 pesos ($37.96@11.25pesos per dollar)

Vagabundos is a great club but still have a surcharge plus the cost of joining the club ~$45

Most the time, the time saved and effort is worth the extra cost of getting these items from a travel club. :yes::yes:
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 6-23-2004 at 02:58 PM

We purchased a boat permit in May in Mexico 23-26 foot 650 pesos ($57.78@11.25 pesos per dollar)

Fishing Permit 427 pesos ($37.96@11.25pesos per dollar)

Vagabundos is a great club but still have a surcharge plus the cost of joining the club ~$45

Most the time, the time saved and effort is worth the extra cost of getting these items from a travel club. :yes::yes:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.