Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Kite boarders
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2009 at 07:18 PM
Kite boarders

Generally kiters use "bow" or "C" shape kites with an inflatable leading edge and struts. Ram air kites are less popular on water since they don't float quite so easily. Boards are usually twin tip or directional surfboard style, lately riders are using a strapless surfboard, you can also use a skim board or any surfboard.

Popular manufacturers are RRD, North, Naish, Ozone among many others. I use RRD and am very happy.

You should take lessons before you go on your own. Its well worth it.

Here are forums where you find more info and ask questions, plus you will find ads for used and new gear. You should be very careful about buying on line on craigslist and would be best to purchase in person.

http://ikitesurf.com
http://bayareakiteboarding.com
http://kiteforum.com
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2009 at 07:29 AM

We bought a small stunt kite a few years ago so we could get the feel of flying and controlling the kite on the beach before venturing in to the water.

Glad we did that before investing in all the kite boarding gear because it's more challenging than we expected (of course we had an unreasonable "heck, we can do that" expectation ).

Husb Wooo was a natural flyer and could step right in for some lessons. But I'm a spaz with a kite. It took all my concentration to maneuver the thing where I wanted with no focus left over for things like keeping my head above water and watching where the board was going. It would require lots of beach practice for me.

Love to watch kiteboarders though and it would be perfect at your Baja spot Soulpatch. Good Luck!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-2-2009 at 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
Thanks Gnu......I'll do my homework.
I am sure lessons will help. I'm going to head down to Fiesta Island tomorrow afternoon where I see people practicing all the time and pic a few brains.

soulpatch,
there is an outfit in mission bay that teaches kite boarding. suggest you take lessons there. in process of taking lessons you can try gear and learn about what you may want to buy.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-2-2009 at 07:38 AM

just a few lessons away!

100_0335.jpg - 43kB

mpc

[*] posted on 12-12-2009 at 10:51 PM

do anyone knows of kite surfing in concepcion bay? it seems to be a good spot with steady wind....?
tks
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-13-2009 at 11:50 AM

a guest was here the other day
and launched right off the beach

i think it's harder than it looks

that kite can really pull you along:o

kite.jpg - 30kB

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2009 at 07:07 PM

franko your killing me!!!!! give me a call.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.