BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Thank goodness for tectonics...
GeoRock
Nomad

Mood: Always have one

[*] posted on 6-24-2004 at 08:53 AM
Thank goodness for tectonics...

Just a few notes:

Our beloved Baja came to be during Miocene times, about 12 million years ago. Plate tectonics caused the sliver of land we call Baja to separate from the mainland. Pacific Ocean water filled the gap, creating the Sea of Cortez.

Sediments from the Colorado River filled much of the trough in the north, so water depth is not as deep as further south. The more shallow water temperatures vary, weather dependent.

Water is very important in mostly arid Baja. San Ignacio, an oasis in a dry desert, has water from an underground spring giving it life.

The islands in the gulf are actually mountains that are part of the ranges on the peninsular. They were separated during the tectonic action creating the Sea of Cortez.

The northernmost range is the Sierra de Juarez, granitic mountains that are extensions of California ranges.

It runs into the Sierra San Pedro Martir range which has the distinction of having the highest peak in Baja; Pichacho del Diablo at 3,096 meters.

Volcanic peaks and recent (geologically) lava flows conceal much of the Tertiary marine sediments that make up the ranges of central Baja.

Sierra de la Giganta, south of Loreto, stretches nearly to La Paz.

Next is the Sierra de la Laguna, which has granitic peaks up to 2,130 meters and is forested.

It's such a diverse land, so unique in its isolation from the mainland.

http://reinventmyself.isagenix.com
For rapid weight loss; building of lean muscle for athletes; and overall improved health through nutritional cleansing.
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 6-24-2004 at 09:11 AM

Goodness! In another thread, BajaCactus wanted to know "origins of Baja California." You sure gave it to him!
I can picture the whole bubbling "Land before Time" thing.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 6-24-2004 at 09:25 AM
Georock

I always wondered what held those islands up--just kidding. Nice article.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2004 at 09:33 AM
Islands

My ex wife was from Kansas, They don't have an ocean there. She was wondering why Catalina looks so close on some days and so far away on others when we lived in Huntington Beach.
After learning about the tides going in and out, she understood perfectly how that anchor chain the island is attached to operated!:lol:
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 6-24-2004 at 04:43 PM
jr

YEA!

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 6-24-2004 at 09:02 PM
A little off time...!!!

Quote:

Posted by Jeans.....Goodness! In another thread, BajaCactus wanted to know "origins of Baja California." You sure gave it to him!

You are right Jeans... GeoRock went just a little before in time than I was thinking....:D

Now.... several millions years into the future Baja will become an Island.. thanks to tectonics again...

When this happens Baja will most likely be a tropical Island anear Hawaii and then.. we will trully be BAJANOMADS....!!!:spingrin:

Antonio M.

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 6-26-2004 at 09:42 AM
Baja tectonics

Also interesting to note that the gold in the Siera Juarez originated in Sonora....BEFORE Baja split off from the mainland. :wow:
Quite confusing for the early gold miners who tried unsucsessfully to find the source rock in Baja. :lol: :tumble: :lol:
Sonora Wind
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2004 at 01:42 PM
Would you consider

A fall baja Geo learning/adventure trip, for 4 ? 6 days. I'll cook and tote. you teach, everyone else helps, learns and generally has a wounderful time. Just a thought???:cool:

CEUs 3.5

[Edited on 6-26-2004 by Sonora Wind]

[Edited on 6-26-2004 by Sonora Wind]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.