Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Stolen Tires
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2004 at 12:44 PM
Stolen Tires

Or, The Truth about the Real Baja Mexicans.
In another post, someone mentioned tires being stolen in the hills.

I spend a LOT of time traveling the backcountry of Baja, usually alone, except for my two dogs. I have met almost everybody back in the hills because I was doing it on purpose.
Here's what it's really like with these people rather than the nonsense some folks fear is derived from.
I have learned of many areas in the hills that are quite spectacular. Many are near communities and many aren't. When I get to these places I generally introduce myself if there's anyone around and explain what I am about. I then go and find a nice camp place and carry on about my business.
Sometimes I hire guides and we leave for 2 or 3 days. On foot. And I generally don't even close the doors to my van let alone lock it. This is because now that andi is getting up in the years, she has learned to return to the van if she doesn't feel up to a long hike.
Herb was a witness to the abuse I put those dogs through regularly. I can't believe they're still around.
Back to the point. I leave lot's of camera gear, money, and many many things that would be considered valuable to some, in the van with the doors open.
I don't even give it a second thought because I know these people. They would never even consider taking something from someone else.
They might not have any money but I think they got a whole extra countries worth of morals. Anybody heard of any countries missing their morals? Because I know where they went!
And, people go to my camp when I am gone. They have actually changed things around. To protect my things from animals and rain, they have brought one of their own tarps and staked it down over my table, they have washed a pan of dishes so they wouldn't attract the cows, and when they know we are going somewhere, they bring food to take along with us or me, depending on the trip.
Everyone there knows everyone else. By magic, remote places know when I am coming. These people are the most incredible, hard working, honest and caring individuals I have ever encountered and I have had a blast with many people elsewhere.
To some, money and property, let alone stolen property just doesn't play a major role in their lives.
Perhaps they don't know what they are missing, but then very few of you have the sparkle that comes standard in these peoples eyes.:light:
Stolen tires ? I don't think so !
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2004 at 12:47 PM
Sorry Doug

I just had to on that one.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2004 at 05:39 AM
God Bless you and that child!

Keep em coming JR.!!

JR. it was like as you describe in Loreto at the Hotel Oasis many years ago before the outside influences came to Baja.
After the very poor Indains were brought over from the Mainland to build the Hotel Presidente, many staying and starting families, you could no longer leave your wallet in the room when you go fishing for the Day>

that has changed from the way the Mountain People still live on a Daily basis, not in the places that have been changed by Tourism {San Nicholas, Tambebechie Auga Verde etc and other isloated Places}.

Thievery started showing up in and around Loreto following the influx of poorer workers and Tourists from other countries.

Please Keep showing the Faces of the children .realize that many of the viewers do not have the Ability to see what you and I see in the eyes of these children.

JR "You have to Forgive them of their ignorance", as they have been trained by TV,GAme Boys, and Dr. Spock.{and a good many Liberal Professors who have nothing but book Knowledge}.

Me thinks God has got you by the Tail, with a Down-Hill Pull and is directing you in your Daily Life to helping the People of Baja Sur!!!
My Prayers are with you!

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2004 at 11:57 AM

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2004 at 12:08 PM

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2004 at 12:12 PM

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2004 at 12:31 PM

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.