Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rosarito on the rebound
BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 9-20-2009 at 01:21 PM
Rosarito on the rebound

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/travel/worldtravel/mexi...

Good times overcome bad news for a lover of Baja California.

By TERI SFORZA

So imagine an Italian Archie Bunker bellowing, "You're goin' WHERE?!?!"

My aging dad – and many of my much younger friends – couldn't quite fathom why my husband and I were heading to Rosarito Beach for a long weekend with our 5-year-old daughter in August. Swine flu! Shootouts! Drug wars! Kidnappings! Carjackings! All this, and worse, had become synonymous in their minds with the Mexican border area around Tijuana.

I confess to having an overly emotional attachment to Rosarito. It was more than 20 years ago that I made my first foray into Baja after moving to California, and it was a revelation – there was a foreign country with a different language … right down the block! I dragged friends there for firsthand lessons on border issues, I bought handmade furniture from artisans there, I got married there nine years ago, and my husband and I vowed to return every year to celebrate our anniversary.

Whoops. Our last foray to Baja was in 2005. Before our daughter. Before cartel kingpin Javier Arellano Felix was nabbed and a savage war of succession erupted around Tijuana among the druglord wanna-be's eager to replace him.

But as Tijuana's underbelly was exposed, Rosarito tried to separate itself from the mayhem. Over the past two years, the city has replaced much of its (notoriously corrupt) police force, created a new tourist police detail, added a tourist assistance bureau and employed a 24-hour-a-day ombudsman to handle complaints. This month, Rosarito Beach will debut a "mediation center," so English-speakers can air complaints in their own language and settle disputes quickly.

Violence, the city fathers say, is a far more common occurrence in Los Angeles than it is down there. And who thinks twice about going to Los Angeles? Add to this the lure of oceanfront rooms that go, midweek, for as low as $19.25 a night (to mark the Rosarito Beach Hotel's 1925 opening), and many resorts' offers of free shuttles from San Ysidro/Chula Vista (on our side of the fence), and it's a lure this lapsed Baja lover simply could not resist.

A DIFFERENT BAJA NORTE

We passed up the free-shuttle offer; Talavera flower pots beckoned, and we planned to cart as many home from Rosarito's stalls as our 12-year-old RAV4 could carry.

We've never had to wait in a line to get into Mexico before last month. It was only 10 minutes or so until the little traffic light gave us the green PASE, but nonetheless we were waved over for further inspection by Mexican agents with machine guns. They scoured our passports (don't forget these), matching pictures to faces, and then meticulously matched the VIN number on my car's dashboard to the VIN number on the Mexican auto insurance policy we had bought just minutes earlier (don't forget that, either). But we were waved on with a smile, and proceeded straight down the toll road to Rosarito, skirting Tijuana.

In 2000, our wedding was at a funky little backwater just south of the city. Calafia – set breathtakingly on a bluff perched over the sapphire Pacific – was a bit Mission San Juan Capistrano meets Aging Trailer Park. An outdoor restaurant tumbled down the bluffs into a pirate ship/dance floor, a rambling collection of double-wides was dressed up as hotel rooms, and everything was stitched together by brilliant clouds of pink and purple bougainvillea and rough-hewn grottoes beneath heavy-limbed trees. Half of the plastic chairs arranged on the lawn for our wedding guests said TECATE in red letters. A dirt bluff stacked with random junk was next door.

There was no true "luxury" there just a few years ago. So imagine our utter, unadulterated shock as we approached the Calafia turnoff and found A MASSIVE 22-STORY LUXURY TOWER where our sweet little wedding site used to be.

Shrieking and moaning, we proceeded, slack-jawed, down the turnoff, gawking at the colossal Las Olas Grand. Las Vegas big with two infinity pools, private beach, state-of-the-art glass-walled fitness center jutting into the ocean and uber-luxury accommodations (travertine floors, granite countertops, stainless steel appliances). What on earth had happened in our absence?! It wasn't until we had rolled past Las Olas that we realized our funky little Calafia was still there, just hidden behind this tourista Gigantor.

Luxury condo-hotel towers have sprouted shockingly amid Baja's modest Mexican funk, as if the universe opened up a crack and chunks of Miami Beach came shooting up through the Baja bluffs. They have names like La Elegancia, Club Marena, Calafia Resort, Las Palmas, La Jolla Real … as if some developer just woke up and said, "Mi dios! The coast is lovely here, and it's only 20 miles from San Diego!" The place is not quite transformed, but the startling juxtaposition of old and new made it feel odd for us.

FACE-LIFT FOR THE AGING STARLET

The main game along this stretch of coast has long been the storied Rosarito Beach Hotel, even as Hollywood sheen gave way to spring-break careen. We last stayed here in 2000 while scoping out where to park our wedding guests. The bed was hard, the poolside music was blaring, the funky smell was unidentifiable. We realized we had grown a bit old for the scene, fleeing farther south to the likes of Las Rocas and Las Rosas resorts. But here we were, eager to check out the Rosarito Beach Hotel's own Gigantor, the new, 18-story Pacifico Tower. Built last year to cater to the sort of traveler who would be aghast at a stray rodent in the room or an invasive swarm of ants – things that were par for the course at some funkier Baja digs.

We had no reservations. It was the weekend of the first Rosarito Beach Pro-Am surf contest, complete with $10,000 in prizes. We grabbed a one-bedroom condo on the Pacifico's 15th floor for $149 a night for three nights. We had to wear yellow wrist bracelets (faintly reminiscent of spring break) so security would know we belonged; but the room came with two free margaritas each day and hotel restaurant coupons that could cut dinner bills nearly in half.

As we walked from the old hotel to the new tower, Pacifico seemed to have that old Rosarito thing going: Where there were supposed to be giant glass doors opening into the lobby, no glass had been installed yet. No matter. Once into the lobby, it felt bizarrely like the five-star Kahala resort in Hawaii where I had stayed a few years back: high-ceilinged, exclusive, uber-chic. Off the lobby was a nicely equipped fitness room and a hipster bar with neon and pool tables called "The Joint." Outside was a gorgeous, sapphire-colored heated swimming pool, flanked by two sapphire hot tubs and an outdoor bar. None of that spring-break red vinyl patio furniture here, but handsome blond faux-wicker.

Goodness. The Rosarito Beach Hotel was all grown up.

The elevator whisked us to the 15th floor and – ears popping – we stepped out. Through the hallway windows we saw, for the first time, how far back into the hills Rosarito rambles, and what a big town it really is.

Then to our "suite." The first thing that struck us was the stunning ocean view from such a dizzying height; then we absorbed how utterly hip, stylish, minimalist the place was. Floors are Mexican stonework; bed, a heavenly, low-slung platform; sofa, modern leather. On the living room wall hung one highly stylized painting of a flamenco dancer; beside it, a heavy, wooden-framed, floor-to-ceiling mirror. There was one flat-screen TV in the living area, and another in the bedroom; the bedroom's sliding doors could be opened to make the spaces flow into one another, or closed to make a separate room. Our extra-large, glass-enclosed balcony offered expansive views of sand and ocean (and the more traditional Baja architecture that rambled down the coast); it felt giddy to be dangling so high above the beach.

CHANGE OF ATMOSPHERE

When my friend, colleague and avowed Baja-lover Marla Jo Fisher was here last year, she found Rosarito to be deserted and faintly depressing. It didn't feel that way at all anymore. True, the town wasn't crawling with drunken American college students, but that's a good thing. Rosarito was being enjoyed by her own people – Mexican families staying at the Pacifico Tower, eating in the restaurants, playing on the beach. There were a good number of Americans, but we had that feeling of being much deeper into Mexico – where, you know, there are mostly Mexicans. We loved it.

We didn't take any special precautions, except to avoid driving at night. We strolled the main drag, visited the Fox movie studio, bargained in the bazaar. We ate fish tacos at the corner taco stand (where gringos still drink beer with breakfast), gave the mariachis a few bucks to sing "Guadalajara" at El Nido. A highlight was Saturday night, when a stage rose beside the Pacifico Tower's lovely pool; bistro tables with crisp white tablecloths were set up at its edge; and a poolside flamenco show, by candlelight, began. The couple at the table behind us were nose-to-nose in ecstasy the entire time.

This month, the hotel is hosting Havana nights and tango nights. There's baby-sitting available for just $25 for four hours, and a kids club to help keep children occupied during the day if Mom and Dad have other plans.

We didn't want to leave. We soaked up the view (and the chocolate fondue) at Calafia, and stocked up on as many gorgeous, hand-painted Talavera pots as our RAV4 could hold (13, it turns out, for $400). Our ride back to El Norte was uneventful, and it took only about an hour (and one bag of too-greasy churros) to slip back across the border.

We were commiserating with folks at Calafia about that monstrosity that sprouted next door like Jack's beanstalk. But here's my secret confession: I'm dying to stay at Las Olas Grand for New Year's. Feliz Nuevo Ano! It is divine to be back under Baja's eclectic spell.

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2009 at 01:38 PM

OK. So the author is a staff writer for OC Register and this article appeared in the travel section. But I get the distinct feeling that it was more like a paid advertisement. And frankly, staying in a 15th floor tricked-out condo doesn't really sound like reminiscing over Baja's eclectic spell. JMHO
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2009 at 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNews
even as Hollywood sheen gave way to spring-break careen.

This article paid for? What makes you think that?

If I ever write anything like the above without being bribed to do so, I'll take my typing fingers to the table saw.
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 9-20-2009 at 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
If I ever write anything like the above without being bribed to do so, I'll take my typing fingers to the table saw.

What is that loud whining, buzzing sound I hear in the background?

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2009 at 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gull

What is that loud whining, buzzing sound I hear in the background?

Doesn't matter. I can still type with my nariz.

Hey, Gull. Thanks for running off that pest yesterday. He was getting on my nerves.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2009 at 02:43 PM

Stephen Hawking?
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 9-20-2009 at 03:27 PM

Yeah, Yeah. The Rosarito propaganda machine is in full gear. The special events are nice though- including the upcoming Sand Castle contest. Little by little. Central Rosarito Beach is being visited by more Mexicans than gringos right now, as the author mentioned. I think it's more economic than anything else. Enough time has passed that people forget the bad stuff. They'll still come down for lobster.

I did wait 45 minutes heading south into Mexico early friday afternoon and saw almost no northbound wait at all.

Mexico could be working on real estate reform a little more while waiting for the economic rebound to bounce south. She failed to mention how many thousands of people lost their life savings on all those new (and many uncompleted) condo towers she was flabbergasted by. Even Trump couldn't win at that game. JMHO.

[Edited on 9-20-2009 by Woooosh]

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
arrowhead
Banned

[*] posted on 9-20-2009 at 07:05 PM

The Baja tourism secretariat has been running a promotion program called, "Sea tourista en su pais", or something like that. It means, "be a tourist in your own country". They have been heavily promoting the area to other Mexicans as a vacation spot to make up for the loss of the Gringo business. The problem is -- from reading the Mexican papers -- they are getting more tourist flows, but the dollars spent per Mexican tourist is only a fraction of what the Gringos spend.

No soy por ni contra apatía.
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 9-20-2009 at 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by arrowhead
The Baja tourism secretariat has been running a promotion program called, "Sea tourista en su pais", or something like that. It means, "be a tourist in your own country". They have been heavily promoting the area to other Mexicans as a vacation spot to make up for the loss of the Gringo business. The problem is -- from reading the Mexican papers -- they are getting more tourist flows, but the dollars spent per Mexican tourist is only a fraction of what the Gringos spend.

I see Mexican Spanish Menus in pesos and Gringo Englsih Menus in dollars coming soon... :saint:

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
docsmom
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2010 at 08:53 PM

Quote:
Even Trump couldn't win at that game. JMHO.

[Edited on 9-20-2009 by Woooosh]

Please Whoosh. Trump wasn't in the game.........
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2010 at 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by docsmom
Please Whoosh. Trump wasn't in the game.........

I hope you weren't holding your breathe with that reply.
docsmom
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2010 at 09:01 PM

:P:P:P
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 1-5-2010 at 01:23 AM

Those condo towers are intriging.
I did break rule number one and drove down in the dark. I noticed that the towers didn't have any light on. I think they're all empty.

[Edited on 1-5-2010 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

SDRonni
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2010 at 07:58 AM

Nope, Las Olas Grand not empty.........trust me.............

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.