Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2004 at 08:50 AM
Vehicle Import

Hi folks!
special question on a Sunday morning:
I do have a tractor and a dump truck.
Both relatively new.
Both have no title.
Tractors never have titles in the Texas.
The dumptruck,(a nearly new Mercedes 1622 three way dump) never had a title in Texas as I imported that biest from Germany and used it on the ranch only)

Now: how to import those vehicles permanently into Mexico / Baja?

I would like to drive the Mercedes and load the tractor onto.
Bad idea?
Or what?

Can I get a Mexican license plate at the Boarder - if I pay the import tax and all other fees - or even through a Consulate?
Well I can ask the Consulate but have to drive plenty of miles as they give no advice over the phone.
Any other idea?
Have fun @ the border.
Germanicus
burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2004 at 03:41 PM

Germanicus
I'm not an expert here but I do have a friend that is in the business of importing vehicles.
He recently had a huge problem getting a 16 passenger van imported. The rules for importing comercial vehicles, like your tractor and truck would be considered, will be very complicated, and are different than importing a passenger car.
When I see him agin I will ask if he has any new info on importing comercial vehicles.
I know that some form of title will be required on each vehicle.
Advice, contact a company that does this , it will cost less in the long run.
burro bob
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2004 at 03:50 PM
We have a ranch in South Baja.

Perhaps it would be beneficial to have a Mexican ranch owner deal with the importation. The government here likes these people and try to make certain things easir for them. Like importing tractors and machinery.
Sr. Jimmy Smith imported a backhoe. Perhaps Sally might have some info.
Germanicus
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2004 at 04:09 PM

so far, thanks folks for advice.
But I gotto say, these are no commercial vehicles.
A tractor never is.
It's agriculture.
And AG use (at least in Texas) is not considered commercial > that's why it needs no license plate)
and the 1622 was imported for AG-use as well.
I used it only on the ranch > that's why it has no license plate.

jr > that maybe is a good idea to import both for AG use into Mexico.
I will ask the guys from the Consulate someday.
Who please is Sr. Jimmy Smith and who is Sally?
Never saw their names here.

As we want to buy some acres > maybe about 20 or more depends on the purchase price < the idea with the AG use is from kinda benifit to this issue.

So far thanx again.
Germanicus
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2004 at 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Germanicus
Hi folks!
special question on a Sunday morning:
I do have a tractor and a dump truck.
Both relatively new.
Both have no title.
Tractors never have titles in the Texas.
The dumptruck,(a nearly new Mercedes 1622 three way dump) never had a title in Texas as I imported that biest from Germany and used it on the ranch only)

Now: how to import those vehicles permanently into Mexico / Baja?

I would like to drive the Mercedes and load the tractor onto.
Bad idea?
Or what?

Can I get a Mexican license plate at the Boarder - if I pay the import tax and all other fees - or even through a Consulate?
Well I can ask the Consulate but have to drive plenty of miles as they give no advice over the phone.
Any other idea?
Have fun @ the border.
Germanicus

First you need to know where will you be taking these vehicles to, if its Baja only you have to import and get fronteriza plates, if its other place other than Baja you will need to nationalize it, you will need title or some proof of ownership, as well as a few days to get the importation done, its not done in one day most of the times, add a day to get your plates as well.

And probably you need to show some proof that your a legal resident here.

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2004 at 04:55 PM
Don Jimmy Smith

was a cantankerous old Baja explorer who was one of the few people that could tell me to shut up and I actually would. hahahahahaahaha
He was one of the first people to have sense enough to move to Baja (50 some odd years ago) marry a lovely Mexican Se?orita, after years of chasing her and enjoy life to the fullest.
He has many explorations in remote regions, he has raced the original Baja Mil races, and he has the respect of a whole bunch of Human Beings here in Baja as well as all over the place.
Unfortunately, he passed away a few months back and is now 4 wheelin on roads without washboard.
He has a book or two out "The Grinning Gargoyle Spills the Beans" is one and I highly recommend reading it if you are planning on moving to Baja.
It's not another one of those incomplete guidebooks but stories of how it really is and was here. From someone who truly knows.
Sally is Jimmy's daughter. And she is a human. She still lives in Los Barriles and if she sees this, she will offer information if she can. If not, I will be talking to her later. The backhoe is still being used in Los Barriles next door to Do?a Lupe's store, Playa Tesoro I think the name is.
Germanicus
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2004 at 07:05 AM

now I am eager to know: Who are the two guys on the pic, jr added to his posting?
Is that Sj. Jimmy Smith on the left and jr on the right??
On the book, well, I will order me that one through a local bookstore.
Thanx for the hint.

Jesse, I will keep both vehicles on the Baja, of course.
Would like to use both for preparing my place > i have still to find yet.
So how to get fronteriza plates?
Well I can ask the Consulate about that.
Anyway, many thanks for this information.
Only to know the name 'fronteriza plates' might help me a lot.
Germanicus

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2004 at 07:20 AM
Don Jimmy

is on the right and Steve is on the left. You may be running into him if you spend any time in Los Barriles.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-28-2004 at 08:08 AM

Jimmy's book is best obtained through Baja Bernie at http://www.caballeropublishing.com

Photos of Jimmy and other Baja authors last year: http://vivabaja.com/503

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Germanicus
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2004 at 04:31 PM

hey David K,
if I'm not starting my journey to the Baja > you will be found guilty for that.
Why?
Man! so many sites, links, pics etc.
It takes me days... Bull.... weeks to go through all that.
So for the next time I can't post nothing here as I'm busy.

Now I know who is Jimmy Smith and have an idea of some of you other guys.
Well, let me say I would like to be one of yours someday(soon).
And I hope I fit into.
Take care folks, I bought me some nice German kegs (5 ltr.Becks) and will now dig into all that new info.
Have fun y'all.
Germanicus
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 6-29-2004 at 11:26 AM

You really need to contact a Customs Broker that handles automotibles to Mexico - they have very specific requirements about what can and cannot be imported. If the truck is diesel, that poses additional questions as they have more restrictions about that. What Texas might classify your truck and tractor doesn't mean much to Mexico Customs.

You will need a broker to hadnle all the paper work so might as well start off getting the info straight there.

A example - a firne in the US gave a firne who is a Mex National a dump truck in Calexico. It was Diesel powered so had to have special permit. Had to pay mordida to get truck over into Mexico so paperwork could be done for a vehicle alredy in the country.

Check it all out carefully.

:biggrin:
Germanicus
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2004 at 07:14 PM

Hi Folks,
this is what I've got as info from a 'Mexican Official' ( can't say who it was, but that guy MUST know)
Vehicle Import: just drive to the border and tell the customs it is for 6 month only.
-temporary Import-
As you are down at the baja (BCS) go to any vehicle registration office and pay your fees.
"They'll make it" that official said.
Now I would like to know what you guys say to that.
Comes this question: What vehicle-papers are required for to cross the border?
Is the title required to show to customs?
On the other hand I heard > through the grapewine < if the officials find a 'not permanently imported vehicle' they will confiscate it.

So, what's the deal?
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2004 at 08:06 PM
For a "vehicle"

You must have insurance to drive it in Mexico. In order to get the insurance you need title and registration.
For importation into Mexico, you need to have the registration/title in your name.
This does not apply to machinery and "farm equipment. You will need much, much more besides what I already mentioned.
Germanicus
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2004 at 02:41 PM

jr, not that I wanna make a long discussion out of this, but the 'very official mexican' (I will tell you by u2u who that is)
told me it is not required by law to have an insurance in Mexico.
( Now, it is not very smart to drive without insurance. Or in clear and plain English, it is damn dumn to drive without. In case of an accident you are immediately arrested if you got no insurance. And released not before the question is solved who pays whom how much > depends on who is found guilty of said accident and how you can pay for. So, insurance is not required by law, but without you are a dumn monkey. My opinion to that question)
Now remains the question to me: What is required at the border if I am requesting a temporary permit/import > for six month only (that's what the longest term is for temporary import)
O.K., example: I am coming with any car/truck/or heavy truck to the border and requesting a temporary import.
Do I need to show the title for my pick-up towing the fifth-wheeler?
(yes I do have insurance obtained for my pick-up and fifth-wheeler before leaving home. presumably through Lewis & Lewis)
Thanx for answering and have a nice day ( at leats for the remainer of today)
Germanicus
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 7-13-2004 at 03:04 PM

i think you are putting the cart before the horse.

you need to buy your property first just to see if you will need a tractor and dump truck

just my two cewnts:lol:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2004 at 03:52 PM
See previous post

You obviously are understanding the insurance issue. Very good.
You need to have the registration for any motorized vehicle, vessel, golf cart, helicopter, farm machinery, go cart, atvs, everything.
There are a couple of reasons for this. One, they don't want gringo's, or germans as the case may be, coming down here and taking work from the Mexicans. A backhoe, tractor, what have you, means a week or twos less work for a couple guys.
The other reason is there was this vicious rumor that people were bringing stolen vehicles into Baja from the u.s. I won't make any comment on this but, I think I have recognized some familiar lookin vehicles, being driven by people in high places. Ya just never know!
Yes you need registration for the truck. Yes, you need registration for the trailer. Yes, you need registration for what is on the trailer.
There is a limit to the extra gas you can bring. There is a limit to the number of spare tires you can bring.
As a previous poster mentioned about the cart before the horse,, I hope you are just doing your homework and planning on looking into this venture before jumping in and actually importing things.
Baja is a place that changes daily. At this point in time, there are developers checking out every inch of the peninsula.
I would be extremely careful if I were you. Homework and crossed T's mean everything here. And sometimes, even that doesn't work! Cuidado Amigo
bajadave1
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2004 at 06:31 AM

Point of info: The other guy in the photo is Steve Chism. Jimmy told me he is one of the best in Baja, at bird ID's & info. He runs the kayak & water toy rental at hotel Buena Vista Beach Resort. He is also mentioned in the author's preface of Jimmy's book. Dave
Germanicus
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2004 at 12:08 PM

hi bajadave1,
unfortunately you forgopt to mention where that hotel is located > which town?
Take care
Germanicus

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.