Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Camping at Esenada De Los Muertos
castaway$
Senior Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 10-13-2009 at 09:34 AM
Camping at Esenada De Los Muertos

Were heading out to become Baja Nomads in December for a month or so and one of the camping spots we read about in Zack's book was Ensenada De Los Muertos. We have driven out there before but didn't camp and were thinking about trying it this time.
We have camped at Tecolote before but I understand from a previous post I made that the crime level has realy increased there so we are looking at other options.
Anybody have experience camping here? Any problems with crime etc... I know there isn't any services and we are fully self contained plus I'm pretty confid:biggrin:ent I can launch my boat to access the fishing grounds. Help a Nomad brother out if you know anything and the cervezas are on me when we get there. Steve

Live Indubiously!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-13-2009 at 09:50 AM

Check out what Doug posted in 2007... (I bumped up that thread, as well):

BajaNomad

Super Administrator

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

posted on 7-29-2007 at 04:08 PM

Caveat: It's been a number of years since I have personally been out to the Punta Arenas / Los Planes area - although I love the area greatly.

Not sure of the launch capabilities currently. Possibly here or at La Ventana (?).

Muertos is now Bay of Dreams "Bahia de los Sueños".

http://www.landscapeoffice.com/portfolio/bahia_del_los_sueno...

http://www.threebestbeaches.com/northamerica/mexico/cabosanl...

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/calou/?xjMsgID=30092

http://www.cabosanlucasbeaches.com/bahiadelossuenos.htm

As far as camping (albeit sans launch ramp), something to mention is Punta Arena de la Ventana, near where the Hotel Punta Arenas is/was (Parakeet Point, north of Muertos/Suenos). Primitive, tropical and fun (or, used to be anyway...).

--
Doug

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2009 at 09:59 AM

I have launched my boat at the ramp by what was then the Giggling Marlin (I think it has since changed hands and changed names), and slept, camped, both on my boat at anchor near the ramp and in the boat on the trailer in the parking lot by the ramp. I had no problem with crime or anything else other than rocks at the foot of the ramp at low tide. I was quoted a nominal fee to use the ramp, shower, etc., but after sharing fish with the staff at the restaurant for a couple of days was charged nothing when I left. The ramp is indeed close to good fishing, the food at the restaurant is good, and I would recommend it.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-13-2009 at 10:01 AM

You can not now camp more than 1 or 2 nights at Muertos, You can camp at Punta Arena, turnoff just before Muertos, there is only beach Launch and the North winds in December make it not a good place for a boat.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Baja&Back
Senior Nomad

Mood: Rarin' to go South!

[*] posted on 10-13-2009 at 10:08 AM

Now that the golf course is open & lots are selling, nowhere to camp at Muertos (Suenos). The place is crawling with security guards. No crime. You might get 1 nite dry camping in El Cardon Restaurant parking lot if you eat there. See Mike Malano.
Better off up the coast in La Ventana.

Barry & Vanda
Baja and Back RV Tours
Vancouver BC Canada / Baja
http://bajaandback.com
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2009 at 01:16 PM

Maybe this helps, there is a large campground in la Ventana which is about $6-8 a day with bathrooms and showers, restaurants and a nice beach for launching boats, actually many launches for boats line the beach. You can head directly to Cerralvo in the early morning and return even with North winds since its a broad reach off wind back.

With this La Ventana campground as a base camp, you can also go to Muertos and day fish or spend one night as has been mentioned, eating a meal at the el Cardon restaurant gets you use of the bathrooms and so forth.

Many people camp on the Muertos beach for overnights or at least have until recently.

With the shape of the bahia La Ventana it makes sense to use the launch in la Ventana and depending on weather and conditions, you head up wind either along the shore early or head out and simply turn back to shore if the wind arrives. October tends to be warm and nice with good fishing, but by about now (Oct 15th) the north/thermal wind blows 10-25knots from 10am to 4pm through May.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2009 at 01:27 PM

We camp in La Ventana and launch from their beach most days.
There is also a little better "ramp" about 2 blocks down.
Occassionally when we plan to hit the south end of the island, we will trailer the 20 minutes to Muertos and launch there.

No camping at Muertos but lots of places in La Ventana.
The big campground has the best beach and best launch.
bajalorena
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2009 at 09:12 PM

Last time we went to Muertos in the boat for lunch, we noticed that the showers had been taken out of the El Cardon restaurant. The reason they sited was that the water was too expensive. It was nice to be able to moor and eat dinner there, breakfast and a shower in the morning. That kinda put them on the back burner for boat camping. (Having showers and restaurants nearby is my idea of camping).
castaway$
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2009 at 10:09 PM

My boat is a 20" trophy and I don't think I could launch over the beach at La Ventana, also it was REAL windy the last time I was there in December.
So what is the deal with Tecolote? I was given one response to an earlier post and I was told the crime has really increased, can anyone confirm?

Live Indubiously!
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2009 at 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by castaway$

My boat is a 20" trophy and I don't think I could launch over the beach at La Ventana, also it was REAL windy the last time I was there in December.
So what is the deal with Tecolote? I was given one response to an earlier post and I was told the crime has really increased, can anyone confirm?

You asked about camping at Tecolote and Muertos: You could camp at the nearest complete camp in Ventana and drive there to Muertos ramp at will or use the hard pack just down from the campground where all other large boats launch-that's your best option. Yes December is windy-actually less windy than November or January typically but windy there-the windiest of any other place around and generally not great fishing in December but you can catch sierra and snapper especially at dawn. People like the camp in Ventana because it's safe and pleasant and windy for sailing and occasional boating.

You can also camp at Tecolote which has no launch ramp and can also be windy? But you can use Pichilingue ramp and motor around and move back and forth.

Tecolote is going to suffer from crime like many places, there are desperate people and they will take what opportunity they have. If you lock up everything at night and leave no items out you will be fine. If you leave something it will be gone-unlike la Ventana camp. Tecolote is quite a ways from La Paz and no one has gas money so there is no one there, less than ever. A dog would help.

What you need to do is follow the weather: Let the weather decide the best location. It tends to move in 3 day cycles with occasional week long periods of no wind in December-though in general you would only get one good full day of boating per week around that time in bahia de la Ventana and many more days 3-4 per week off bahia de la paz. You'll learn from others who will be hustling and working to go even the night before when the sea sets down flat. If you suspect high wind with building swell than Ventana is not an option, head elsewhere.

Follow the weather and do it all.
castaway$
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2009 at 07:42 AM

Thanks gnukid for the info. We have driven to Ventnana and spent the day but don't have a clue where the camping is but we are adventurous and always looking for new places to experience. Tecolote is a beautiful place and we like the proximity to LA Paz but last time it was very windy also. We do have dogs, kinda like a dog and a half, we have 2 chihuahuas (equal to a half) and the big guy he tilts the scale at about 100#, he sounds tuff but I think he's a big baby.
We plan on about a week in the La Paz area then we'll head further south and stay at Villa Serena in Cabo where the fishing is better then maybe Todos Santos. Its great to 4-5 weeks because we can truly go where the wind blows us.
Steve

Live Indubiously!
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2009 at 09:53 AM

The La Ventana main campgound is in the middle of town on the beach and well marked and easily found, it is across the street from Viento Norte Restaurant and Pablo's Tienda. There are other campgrounds as well, such as Yo yo's camp ground and Kurt n' Marina's place right by the harder pack launch. Baja Joe has a similar style trophy and he goes fishing in the winter and launches right in front of his place a bit further down. A special treat includes boating up to Los Cruces, and the north end of cerralvo where the fishing is always good and the entire inside coast of the island, and of course bahia de los Muertos. There are two gas stations in the region so be aware, one in El Sargento and one on the road to San Juan de Los Plannes on the way to Muertos. There are also often nets in the water along the leeward shore of San Juan De Los Plannes also known as Bahia Turquesa which can seriously foul the prop so watch out for nets all over. A special location is ocho ocho or 88 km out below the island but I can't justify it that time of year since you likely won't see temperature benefits to justify the gas.

The Tecolote option gives you many angles of beach to visit to avoid the wind changes which by the way are quite unique there, often switching 360 through the day and even more so in the Channel between Espiritu Santo island and Tecolote Beach. Speaking of robberies at the neighboring beach, Punta Mexia I have experienced robbers in the night who was basically one hungry fisherman, sad to think they would take things in the night but they do get drunk then hungry then more thirsty and it's a long long way to the store as you know.

Tecolote has its ups and downs. You do know Tecolote is known to be haunted...

[Edited on 10-14-2009 by gnukid]
castaway$
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2009 at 10:50 AM

Thanks again gnukid, i think we will try Ventana. I'll let you know when we firm up our plans and if you are in the area Cervezas are on me. Steve

Live Indubiously!
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2009 at 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by castaway$
Thanks again gnukid, i think we will try Ventana. I'll let you know when we firm up our plans and if you are in the area Cervezas are on me. Steve

Just a note: the Ventana camp is a quiet camp where people tend to go to bed before 8:30pm and no one runs generators at night or early in the morning. Of course you could find a corner where that would be fine once in awhile but keep it in mind-these are sportsmen and sportswomen who play hard and sleep a lot.

I hope to see you there! Good luck!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.