Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Jellyfish 101
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2004 at 09:58 AM
Jellyfish 101

Anyone care to give us a short education on Jellyfish.

My question is what conditions exist when they are prevalent. Is it seasonal, after a rain, certain water temperature, shallow water only, etc.

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2004 at 10:11 AM
Someone should know

but in the last two years, I have been stung more than ever before. And I have been in the water in a bunch of different seasons.
About 50% of the time I have been getting hit. I think these are the agua malas that you don't really see when you are in the water. You are just aware of a new sensation wherever you got stung.
It's not a big deal and hot water takes it right away.
A covering of some sort will keep this from happening but wetsuits and stuff are cumbersome when free diving.
movinguy
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2004 at 10:45 AM

There is a theory that the increase in aguas malas over the last couple of years is due to overfishing of sea turtles (jellyfish are part of their diet).

I agree with jr, there do seem to be an awful lot of the little buggers lately.
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2004 at 11:15 AM
Jellyfish

I think the Jellyfish are naturally attracked to JrBaja They do mass reproduce, and if there are fewer predators to get the little ones, they survive to grow up to be big ones that sting.
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2004 at 11:16 AM
Jellyfish

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2004 at 11:46 AM
See those little string thingies

those are the culprits. I've pulled them off my arms before and you can barely see them.
You could be right AA. The good part is, so are the fish!
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2004 at 11:52 AM
And speaking of fish

check out this dude
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2004 at 01:52 PM
He would make a good politicians

The puffer would make a good politician, since he is full of air. My two photos are from the Texas State Aquarium in Corpus Christi. They have a very nice exhibit on jellyfish. I also have a couple of photos of juvenile jellyfish.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2004 at 03:41 PM
Portuguese Man Of War!

Please stand clear of these. I fought with these off the coast of southern Florida growing up as a kid, surfing inp the 60's.
Man, they hurt.
Bob H
http://www.aloha.com/~lifeguards/portugue.html
Lindalou
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2004 at 01:58 PM

BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 6-30-2004 at 06:40 PM
Going the wrong way...???

Quote:

Posted by jrbaja...I have been stung more than ever before.............. It's not a big deal and hot water takes it right away.
A covering of some sort will keep this from happening but wetsuits and stuff are cumbersome when free diving.

Jrbaja... some lifeguards have found out that pantihose cover very well against those stings..... put some on.... they will not sting you... they may laugh at you but not sting you.....:spingrin::tumble::yes:

Antonio M.

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
HotSchott
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2004 at 08:28 PM

If you are stung apply ammonia to the sting - it neutralizes the toxin (a protein I think). If ammonia is not available then use urine. Depending on where the sting is, you might need to improvise the application method - better to be peeed off than peeed on...

Some jellys are way worse and enough contact can put you in the hospital. The man-o-war tenticles can get up to 60' long in deep water and they break up in the surf. Even a small piece will make you wish you hadn't found it.

Steve
Markitos
Nomad

Mood: let me check

[*] posted on 7-1-2004 at 07:51 AM

Those little agua malas can realy be a pain the the a.. cant see them to stay away from them next thing you know your ye ouch. I was riding around on the dink last week at Ensanada Grande with my feet in the water (air conditioning ya know) the littel buggers got me all over. Not thats its a gona kill ya or anything. For the life of me though I just cant see em even in Jr's pic I dont see em! All in all small price to pay I guess Ity's probably better anyway or we'd NEVER get out of the water!

All that wonder are not lost
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2004 at 08:08 AM
That was the point of the picture

I've only actually seen evidence of them twice. The rest of the time it's just the welts and a little bit of pain/itching.
I keep a pan of water on the stove, just in case. Really not into "golden showers".:light:
The ammonia thing, anybody tried it?
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2004 at 08:55 AM
Jelly Fish

For the filament jellies you really can't see (not to be confused with Man O War bubbles) gasoline is quick relief. Dorado eat lots of jellyfish but the decline in turtles could be one of the major causes.
GeoRock
Nomad

Mood: Always have one

[*] posted on 7-1-2004 at 09:54 AM

I've read that vinegar neutralizes the pain, but have never tried it. Anyone ever use it?

http://reinventmyself.isagenix.com
For rapid weight loss; building of lean muscle for athletes; and overall improved health through nutritional cleansing.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 7-1-2004 at 07:17 PM
For the humor impaired, please DNR

As I scrolled throught this post (and admired the beautiful pictures), this thought came to mind:

Is the correct summation, "When on fire, use the hose?"

Smiles.
burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2004 at 12:33 PM

Osprey
You're the only one to give any insight on why we all see more of them.
Do you think it is because of lack of preditors more than "ocean climate change" (don't know the correct term).
burro bob

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.