Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: CIUDAD JUAREZ CHIHUAHUA TRIP
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2009 at 08:02 PM
CIUDAD JUAREZ CHIHUAHUA TRIP

I wasn't here for a vacation but to investigate the death of a man who was shot in Casas Grandes Chihuahua which is about a three hour drive east of Juarez. My wife and I flew into Juarez from Tijuana last Sunday and spent the night in a secure hotel in the city. Rented a car then drove to Casas Grandes and was stopped at five military check points along the way. The military guys were nice but there were at least fifty all with guns at each checkpoint.

Since my wife was born in Casas Grandes we stayed at the same home where she was born and is now occupied by her cousin. It was early enough so I went to the Ministerio Publico to obtain information regarding the death of this guy. The agent who investigated the death said that in August he was approached by two guys who tried to extort money from him because in that he owned a very lucrative business in town. A fight ensued and the two bad guys left but returned to his home a few days later at night. The business man was waiting for them and opened fire killing both of them. The bad guys were found with two AK's and handguns. They were not there to discuss business.

Early in October the business man went to a grain store in the center city of Casas Grandes at about 2 in the afternoon and when he came out of the store someone opened fire shooting him 70 times. From what I'm told by my wife's family who live there this isn't the first shooting in broad daylight in the center of the city and they are never caught. The cops are scared...... I did not see one military soldier there.

I have now investigated at least six different people that did not pay when extorted. Most have been in the state of Chihuahua but this problem has now reached new heights everywhere in Mexico. If you don't pay the bad guys will fire bomb your business, kidnap someone in your family or just simply kill you and your family.

We returned to Juarez on Tuesday during rush hour. Military are everywhere and the police drive with their windows down and there are three cops in each car all holding automatic weapons. They always caravan with at least three cars together.

Many maquiladoras have closed due to the economy and many citizens don't have work. We saw my brother in law in Juarez who worked for Ford Motor Co. for 25 years and was recently laid off. He now pumps gas. He has a college degree in engineering and can't find a job other than that.

Anyone that has a business in Juarez usually lives in El Paso and now drives a older car and tries not to be mark for the kidnapping groups, that according to my friend in the state police, have literally been so brazen as to kidnap people in front of many in the middle of the day. Carjackings at intersections with many people around continue to be a big problem. It seems that the military presences have not stopped the situation there and it's only going to get worse. You don't honk your horn at anyone and keep a very low profile. The police can not investigate properly because they just don't have the man power.

I'm now in Chihuahua City and the people I talk to say it's not unusual for 6 to 10 shooting per day in this city.

People are scared, really scared here.

When will it stop?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2009 at 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
When will it stop?

When they're all dead. Why would it stop sooner.
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2009 at 09:07 PM

I hope it happens tomorrow......
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-6-2009 at 07:43 AM

..........The business man was waiting for them and opened fire killing both of them. The bad guys were found with two AK's and handguns. They were not there to discuss business.........

It's going to take a lot more of this to solve the problem. The citizens and victims are going to have to take the fight to the bad guys........

Glad that you are back home safe, Lips!!!!

[Edited on 11-6-2009 by bajaguy]

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2009 at 08:40 AM

Sad, always so sad. Other than Ciudad Juarez, we love visiting that area and it always seems so peaceful---it is beautiful around there.

as you say, when will the violence end. Glad you and your family are safe.

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2009 at 01:29 PM

Statistically, Juarez is tantamount to ground zero when it comes to cartel violence. as lame as it might sound, considering what goes on in Baja, folks should understand how much safer it is in Baja.
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2009 at 05:54 PM

Your right about the differences between Baja and Chihuahua. It is so out of hand here in Chihuahua that it seems that many are so desperate because the lack of work that they have resorted to crime and they know they can get away with it. It's the old west with a twist. The cartels are killing each other and the thugs are sweeping the floor with whatever is left and the people that go to work everyday to support their families are forced to deal with it.

What are the cops doing? Well I saw ten cop cars and three motorcycle cops parked on the highway in front of the airport during rush hour with radar guns catching speeders-------? Why in the hell aren't they out on patrol? I guess speeding is just way out of control in Juarez.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.