Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: La Fonda, it's the people
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 11-29-2009 at 02:13 PM
La Fonda, it's the people

Had been to La Fonda many time over the years but had never stayed there.

I shot a short movie of the room, it takes a while to load, connection speed

http://web.me.com/wswesson/Wessongroup/La_Fonda.html

Would not give good marks for the room, but the people.. a different story

La Fonda Baja California, 10/27/2009

This morning we checked out of the La Fonda at 6 a.m. did not learn that we were off day light savings time by an hour, until around 10:30 a.m. when I found out what the time really was.

I reserved the room, which we had stayed that night, 5 days ago. “A nice room, with an ocean view.” Pretty simple request, right….

Well this room had no windows that would open, and to get to the balcony you had to climb stairs with a rise of between 18” and 24”. The one really bad one was outside a screen door, after you when up two on inside the structure proper and one giant one just other side of the screen door.

But the point to this tale is not about the wife, the stairs, the room or me but about Raul the security guard at La Fonda.

This man offered some advise to me in a manner that could only come from a Mexican man, wise beyond his years, which was at least 25 years my junior.

I had been working my way over to the car, with my carry on over my shoulder, my jacket over my arm and using my cane with my left. As I got to the car he began to ask me questions about what I was trying to do in Spanish. I told him to wait a “memento”
And pointed at my wife, who was trying to get into the office to check out.

I had gotten my wife’s attention, as she looked for someone to drop the room key off with.

As she came over to where Raul was standing, on the outside of the chained area where the customer’s cars were parked, she introduced herself and shook his hand. And then conversed with him regarding getting out of the parking lot and trying drop off the room key and cancel the remaining night.

Raul said that he would take care of everything, but the wife said how do I know if he is really with security? I looked at her and asked who would be standing here at this time in the morning with keys to the locks on the chain. She said, yeah, who… then gave the room key to Raul. She then started away and I suggested that she offer a token of your thanks to Raul for being so alert and willing to help.

She then handed Raul a small gratuity (three dollars).

Raul dropped the chain, then stood at attention and gave a “salute” to “el hefe”… who I was shock to find was myself.

Then he started speaking to me in Spanish. I had turned away from him to try and put my bag in the car. The wife said, “He is trying to talk to you!!” I stopped what I was doing and then started turning toward him. But I my back was really messed up so I had to move in small ¼ turn increments to face him.

That was when he just walked over to me, and said to me in Spanish “ you sir have lived life, don’t feel bad about how you are now” “ from God comes all great wonders of life and God has granted you many wonderful experience, you have LIVED LIFE”

Go with God, and God bless you.

And this knowledge and blessing was imparted to me with his right hand gently patting my shoulder.

He treated me like I was HIS grandparent, with kindness, respect and thoughtfulness.

Something I just don’t see very much of in the United States.

The next example of how the Mexican people treated us was when; we stopped at an OXXO to get some coffee.

I sat in the car (I’m navigator) while my wife went in to get the coffee and I watched: a lady open a bakery, an American couple with dogs in their SUV stop at the Security Gate at El Pescador and give the guy’s who had just pulled night duty on the gate, a cup of coffee and bunch of pastry.

As the lady who had been so kind with the pastry and coffee went back to here SUV, she waved back and said good morning the many of the folks in the small little center who said good morning to here as they were getting ready for work (again we thought it was 7 and it was really 6 a.m.).

It seemed to be a local hub of activity; four way stop, with an OXXO and some small shops in the little center on one side of the old road. Busses picking up people, kids getting start with school travel, truckers having coffee talking about road conditions, and one Police car too. Drinking coffee and having a “pastry”… now some things just don’t change.

Now back to the wife, while getting coffee she got into a discussion about old people with the store clerk. She had to ask, “Where are the swizzle sticks”? The young man came over quickly and pointed them out. They were of course right in front of her. She then told him, “ I’m sorry, but as you can see, I’m blind… and I’m old”. The young man laughed, and told her don’t worry; I get people asking where are the cups!!! Pointing to rows of cups. Then talked about all the issues one has dealing with the public.

Well I got my coffee, albeit somewhat cooler than I usually like it. But it was worth it.

It’s only 8:39 am (or 7:39 am Baja time) and we have met and seen more kindness in one hour and about 40 minutes here then we see in years up in the states… or maybe we just live in the wrong neighborhood.

Second time down in the month of October.

We have rented a home to spend some time in this winter. Have never been down in the wintertime, so I will see how Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years are. Along with some clear winter skies to do some star watching.

:):)

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 11-29-2009 at 03:25 PM

I had stayed at La Fonda for many years...18 to be somewhat close.
Always stayed in room 21, 22, or 23.
The hotel has a limited number of inside parking spots as shown in wesson's movie.
This past February, the inside parking had two open parking spots, and Raul refused to let me in to park my Prius inside. We stayed there for three nights (per our reservation), and he refused to let me park inside on either day.
When I mentioned this to the check-in clerk, he said he would look into it, but nothing was resolved...Raul would not budge. Raul even had his personal car parked inside. After three afternoons of argueing over the parking spots with Raul, we checked out on Sunday and resolved never to return. We now stay next door at Poco Cielo. Much nicer rooms, especially the Polynesian room. Poco Cielo's restaurant waiters really want to help you and make you feel welcome. The bar is no as large, but the drinks are just as good, and the food is much better and always arrives piping hot.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 11-29-2009 at 03:55 PM

Man, maybe he didn't like the Prius, as it sure doesn't make any sense why he would not allow you park..

But, thanks for the alternative location, will give them a try next time.

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 11-29-2009 at 04:22 PM
It IS the People, wessongroup

In over ten years of living La Fonda adjacent full time, we have experienced countless examples of the good people of Baja, in casual encounters, exhibiting just those traits of kindness, patience and respect that you described.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2009 at 04:25 PM

Unfortunately, all the businesses are struggling right now. one would think that the folks at La Fonda would have been a little more accommodating. Go figure. Maybe it's something to do with being poor. Being poor again, ain't so bad.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.