Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New MOON Northern Baja Guidebook 2009
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-17-2009 at 09:10 AM
New MOON Northern Baja Guidebook 2009

We were at the bookstore last night and I spotted this small Moon guide: 'Ensenada & Northern Baja' by Nikki Goth Itoi, 2009.

It is small in size (glovebox friendly) and is about 100 pages of details on places to see and maps with much information for all of northern Baja as far as El Rosario on the west and all of Hwy. 5 (to Chapala) on the east. There is just as much detail on Mexicali, Tijuana, Rosarito, Tecate and San Felipe as there is on Ensenada. Putting Ensenada in the title may have been a marketing decision?

Some real recent notes from early 2009 include the new pavement going south from Puertecitos, Los Olivos RV park, Baja-Jardines' new restaurant, and Ed's remodeled Baja's Best restaurant in El Rosario... yet some outdated stuff like listing Gypsy's and the Wet Buzzard when they have been gone for a while, Arturo's at Guadalupe Canyon being open, etc..

Nikki makes some really nice remarks about Baja Cactus Motel, but didn't about Mama Espinoza's Restaurant (which has improved a lot this past few months).

Brief history of all the Spanish missions in the area covered by the book is included. I spotted a hiking trail map for the San Pedro Martir and some food recipes, too!

I got a thrill, when reading about the area south of San Felipe and she actually describes and uses my given name for the beach across from Percebu, 'Shell Island'... That would seem to say Nikki is reading Baja Nomad or VivaBaja.com. :bounce::biggrin:

The new book makes a handy little glovebox guide for those who want to try new places or could use some help finding their way in northern Baja. US$8.95

Sample page, with the Shell Island reference:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2009 at 08:16 AM

I love the Moon travel guides. I`ve been amazed at the amount of useful info they contain. From how to get there, to where to stay (or camp). to even what to order at each restaurant in town!!
tjBill
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2009 at 05:36 PM

Looking at Amazon.com, Nikki Goth Itoi also wrote, "Moon Baja: Tijuana to Cabo San Lucas." Published at the same time. It's four times as large at 476 pages.

Both books got good customer reviews.

[Edited on 12-19-2009 by tjBill]
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 12-18-2009 at 05:42 PM

David K! Don't you realize you just gave away the secret location of Shell Island!:fire:

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2009 at 05:53 PM

And according to him. He named it
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 12-18-2009 at 06:05 PM

Yep, he did - a long time ago when he was skinny and could bend over to see the shells! :lol::lol::lol:

Keep up the book reviews.:yes:

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2009 at 08:49 PM

yep... the 'local gringos' who moved into the area long after I stared camping there have called it 'Shell Beach'... I always prefer my given name of 'Shell Island' because it really is an island and there already is a 'Shell Beach' in Baja (at Punta Chivato, ask Russ!).

Shell Island just has a more romantic sound, as well!

Perhaps others have also called it Shell Island, using the same logic as I did... but I never heard or read of anyone else using that name.

A campo was attemped south of Percebu using the name 'Isla San Martin' and even had a sign up on the highway for it. That failed...

Fishbuck, my contention holds true that 'my favorite beach' is for all of us Baja Nomads to enjoy. I would never be so arrogant to claim it as my private playground and keep the loction secret (as if I owned it)!

I have shared the location of Shell Island for many years with all of you on the Internet, knowing you have the same respect for Baja camping as do I... We haul out what we bring in (and more if needed). The real enemy to a beach is not publicity in books or Internet, it is improved roads that allow anyone with little effort to get there. When a place is hard to get to, requires 4WD or de-airing tires... then it become more appreciated and respected.

[Edited on 12-19-2009 by David K]

705 090.jpg - 37kB

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 12-18-2009 at 09:44 PM

Okay, then how about giving up the secret locations to all those lost gold and silver mines you have found over the years. You know, when you were " going to the missions".;)

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2009 at 11:17 AM

Oh, well that's different!:lol::lol::lol:

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 12-19-2009 at 11:47 AM

Thanks for the new book info, David.
Both Moon books will be additions to my repertoir. However, a very long way from yours!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2009 at 01:09 PM

Yup, a lifetime of collecting Baja books sure adds up! You have been here and seen the collection... I need another bookcase just for the Baja books...! I already moved the Erle Stanley Gardner Baja books to another bookcase.

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of Ed Vernon's new 'Maritime History of Baja California'! That's my Christmas present to myself!

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2009 at 01:19 PM

Joe Cummings, an old Baja hand co-wrote the bigger book.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.