Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Driving safety
tkroll

[*] posted on 1-10-2010 at 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mojo_norte
I would ask David K to adopt you !

Drive to Baja - Surf - Drive back San Diego - catch a cheap flight to Costa Rica - wish you were back in Baja ..:D

No doubt.

I'm still shopping for a vehicle. Was thinking an older Rav4. From what I hear, Toyota parts are easy to find.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2010 at 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tkroll
Quote:
Originally posted by mojo_norte
I would ask David K to adopt you !

Drive to Baja - Surf - Drive back San Diego - catch a cheap flight to Costa Rica - wish you were back in Baja ..:D

No doubt.

I'm still shopping for a vehicle. Was thinking an older Rav4. From what I hear, Toyota parts are easy to find.

Lots of Toyota dealerships in Central America

lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2010 at 01:30 PM

Don't drive at night anywhere on your way to CR.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2010 at 04:27 PM

Until a few years ago, there was a ferry service from Cabo to Puerto Vallarta. Obviously, it was unable to sustain itself financially. But, that would have been the ultimate connection for the journey to Costa Rica.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 1-10-2010 at 04:42 PM

take it VERY SLOWLY through the mountain curves, always anticipating an 18 wheeler pouncing down, (or grinding up), on you with him using your portion of your lane...slowly is the answer through the mountain curves; gives ya a lot more time to adjust...and, as you've heard before, no driving after dark...let that be your mantra.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
irenemm
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 1-10-2010 at 04:51 PM

be careful sometimes the semi's put on the left passing light for you to pass but it can also mean that they are saying hi to the semi coming toward them. pass only when you feel safe.

stop and visit us

http://www.posadadondiego.com
see us on facebook
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2010 at 07:53 PM

Check out Expedition Portal website, there was a great trip report about 2 guys that took an old suburban diesel to CR and back, they spent about 9 months a good read for someone like you. A Rav 4 is a Toyota joke, doubt it would be able to tackle the job, maybe a diesel truck would be better.
djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 07:45 AM

I have driven from N. Idaho & Seattle (area) to Cabo solo many times and I still love the open road and the Baja trip. Last winter (in spite of the deep snows in ID, WA, OR, and even N. CA., I drove Seattle to Cabo in 4 days :-). I had company for the US part of the drive which was fun.

I would add one item that has helped me avoid any troubles over the many years:

Cross the border from San Diego in the early morning.... 6 or 7 AM... You'll have good clear roads, and you'll slip through any problem areas while the "problems" are still asleep. I would suggest you stay on the road until San Quintin at least, and many Nomads (self included) make El Rosario the first day....

Ensure that you DO get your FMT (tourist visa) at the border, as the office in Ensenada is famous for its worthlessness and many folks get turned right back to the border for their FMT.

Someone already mentioned the car permit for the mainland. Baja N and S does not require it, but you must have it on the mainland, so be sure you get that taken care of.

When are you leaving ?

Have a great trip !

djh

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 09:36 AM

Welcome tkroll, Back in '92 I was surfing at Tamarindo, sitting in the water talking to another gringo. Turned out he worked at the Abalone farm in Cayucos, about a 30 minute drive from where I live! He drove down a mid size pickup with a shell on the back, surfing along the way. The only thing I would suggest is to research Guatemala, as a buddy of mine has done about 2 decades of humanitarian work down there, and when he visits he stays in a gated compound. Seems like there can be a lot of nonsense going on at times down there, political unrest, kidnappings, etc.

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 10:25 AM

tkroll

I've travelled busses and trains to Guatemala twice and am getting fired up just hearing about your proposed trip. Surfboards used to be a sure way to get pulled over by policia and searched for weed in the old days so... hide yer stash well!
Crossing into Guatemala was such a change, something like crossing from the US into Mexico. A Rav-4 sounds great, have an adventurous trip, trust the local families.
Have you tried the new inflatable surfboards?
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tkroll

I would suggest a 4X4 Pickup - Toyota Nissan F150 with a locking shell and rack -sleep in the back.

Hopefully you are posting on message boards that deal in mainland Mexico and Central America. The character of Mainland Mex. and travel is much different than Baja. Also, the border crossing and permits in Central America can be tricky and costly. You will need auto insurance in each country. When I researched this a few years back I was told to drive straight thru Guatemala without stopping due to crime.
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 10:17 PM

Last June I ran into these guys at Carmelitas. They were headed home after a 6+ month surfing/ kayak fishing / Road Adventure from Cali to Costa Rica and back.

Their blog at Blog

is full of pictures, adventures, information and highly entertaining. I think many Nomads will thoroughly enjoy this blog

WARNING: It is really long! This particular trip starts in Nov 2008 and goes to June 2009.

Cheers, Curt

No worries
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 1-17-2010 at 04:38 PM

Man what a great trip tkroll!

Research your route, plan your trip accordingly and take your time heading south. You will have so much coastline to check out and a ton of surfing opportunities. As previously stated by other Nomads, don't drive at night. Other than that, have fun and post pictures when you get a chance!

805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63
Last June I ran into these guys at Carmelitas. They were headed home after a 6+ month surfing/ kayak fishing / Road Adventure from Cali to Costa Rica and back.

Their blog at Blog

is full of pictures, adventures, information and highly entertaining. I think many Nomads will thoroughly enjoy this blog

WARNING: It is really long! This particular trip starts in Nov 2008 and goes to June 2009.

Cheers, Curt

Those are the guys that posted their trip report on Expedition Portal forum. They had a dog right?
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.