Author: Subject: Todos Santos Island: Starting To Stir
BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 1-15-2010 at 01:57 PM
Todos Santos Island: Starting To Stir

http://espn.go.com/action/surfing/news/story?id=4826937

January 14, 2010, 10:19 PM ET
By Jason Murray

The North Pacific wave machine is in full effect and shows no signs of letting up anytime soon. Over the past month, there have been more surfable days at Jaws, Mav's and Todos than the previous four years combined. The holidays were especially generous allowing for an epic Jaws session on Christmas Day, numerous Mav's days and even a paddle session at the Cortes Bank. Todos has been the most reserved of all the big-wave spots, partially as a result of the major storm events forming so far away in the Western Pacific, but the island really started to come to life this past week with two solid showings.

"It was a great warm up surf to get ready for bigger swells to come," said Greg Long, who hasn't let up one bit since his big win at Waimea in December. "It's really amazing to have such a world-class crew of big-wave surfers in the water."

On January 13, a list of surfers that read like an abbreviated invite list to the Eddie converged on the small Mexican island, nine miles off the coast of the northern Baja port of Ensenada. Besides obvious suspects like Greg Long and partner in crime Grant "Twiggy" Baker, Shane Dorian, Mark Healey, Ian Walsh, Dave Wassell, and Kohl Christensen flew over from Hawaii for a dose of cold water. Rusty Long, Gary Linden, Mike Parsons, Derek Dunfee, Alex Gray, Ryan Seelbach and Benji Weatherly rounded out the California contingent, while a handful of other big-wave chargers also had the same thing in mind: score some giant paddle-in waves when Todos is at its best on a big, long-interval west swell.

Jaws was huge on Monday, which led everyone to believe that some of that energy would make it to the West Coast. Unfortunately, the swell never really materialized here the way it did in Hawaii.

"You can tell from the setup that this place can handle a serious amount of swell," said Ian Walsh, who's spent ample time at Jaws, but has limited experience at Todos. "I'm already looking forward to coming back for another go."

Although the sets were averaging 12 to 15 feet (Hawaiian scale), there were only a few bigger waves. Most people wouldn't want anything to do with a wave with a 30-foot face, but these guys are freaks. They surf waves this size with their eyes closed. Regardless, anytime you get an accomplished and colorful group like this together, it's a good time, even when Mother Nature doesn't live up to her end of the deal. Party waves, a lineup full of skis and kelp, the occasional big drop and lots of story talk out the back kept everyone entertained.

Until someone figures out how to manufacture a 60-foot wave, the pursuit of riding big waves will always be different than any other athletic endeavor on the planet. Imagine going to play hoops with your friends and the rims are gone, or going to the skatepark to work on your ollies and the ramps are all gone. You get the picture. You are never guaranteed conditions with surfing and even more so when you are after big waves.

There are too many variables to count, too many factors that can fail. You can't practice big wave surfing. Your practice for big wave surfing is going surfing when the waves are big. All of these guys know this and it's part of what make it so special, so elusive and so rewarding. The best days are few and far between, and it takes an incredible amount of dedication, luck and skill to really get an epic big-wave session. So, maybe this was just another dress rehearsal or better yet, a chance to practice for when it matters most.

as_surf_bomb_700.jpg - 47kB

BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 1-15-2010 at 02:04 PM

as_surf_shoulder_700.jpg - 50kB

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 1-15-2010 at 02:13 PM

Whoa dude... major... thanks.. too cool

DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2010 at 02:19 PM

Just another small day at Killer's. Makes me want to see Step Into Liquid again.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2010 at 02:52 PM

Todos Santos can get huge and I've been told that death out there isn't an uncommon occurance. It doesn't get a lot of press because the government doesn't want to encourage surfers, especially those who arn't up to the task.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2010 at 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Todos Santos can get huge and I've been told that death out there isn't an uncommon occurance. It doesn't get a lot of press because the government doesn't want to encourage surfers, especially those who arn't up to the task.

I guess that's why they call it "Killer's."

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2010 at 03:15 PM
A couple of Todos waves here

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2010 at 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO

I guess that's why they call it "Killer's."

I knew there had to be a reason. :lol:
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-15-2010 at 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

maybe dead surfers at TS doesn't get press because it is an uncommon occurence.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2010 at 04:22 PM

Goat,

Do you speak with experience on this matter?

Don't forget to take lots of wax when you go, and be sure to take pictures for us.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2010 at 04:41 PM

About the only thing bigger then the waves out there to me is the cojones on the guys catching a ride on same.. I salute .....:):)

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-15-2010 at 08:06 PM

this coming week with the BIG NW swells coming and lotsa rain/south winds it might actually be good....

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 1-15-2010 at 09:00 PM

rain?? what the heck is that? MOre big swells....goody goody...I'm ready for another fix.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2010 at 12:16 AM

Keep the pic's coming Shari, I liked all the others, but 9 was my fav..:):) but, keep away from the edge...:):)

Todos Santos Big Wave Event Feb 1-28, 2010:

"This is a unique surfing competition that will only be held in big surf with waves exceeding 30 foot face. This event is a Paddle-in competition (no tow in) where huge waves will only be faced with raw human force and pure athletic and mental ability! Surfers from around the world will compete in this 1 day event and will be judged on the size of the waves they surf with a simple reference point: “Risks equals rewards”.":o:o

[Edited on 1-16-2010 by wessongroup]

BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 1-16-2010 at 05:01 PM

More coverage from Surfline....

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/todos-santos-goes-grande-f...

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-16-2010 at 05:05 PM

just heard slater and other pros were surfing the central baja coast this week. my buddy saw him get a 15 second tube ride. getting ready for todos?

[Edited on 1-17-2010 by woody in ob]

winddog

[*] posted on 1-19-2010 at 06:46 PM
central baja

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
just heard slater and other pros were surfing the central baja coast this week. my buddy saw him get a 15 second tube ride. getting ready for todos?

[Edited on 1-17-2010 by woody in ob] [/quote) I was there too. They were all there along with the surf circus. Central is so crowded now. It ain't a secret anymore.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.