Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Carnival 2010 - San Felipe Feb 12, 13 and 14
Donjulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2010 at 03:27 PM
Carnival 2010 - San Felipe Feb 12, 13 and 14

Always a fun time. Lots of people, music, food, dance.
alafrontera
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2010 at 12:37 AM

Huh ? More info please, I will be there those days :spingrin:

low lattitude attitude
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 2-2-2010 at 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by alafrontera

Check it out www.sanfelipe.com.mx

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2010 at 08:48 AM

Quote:

It's Mardi Gras in SF. Partys and parades for the better part of a week. Ensenada and other larger port cities have one as well. Always a good time.
akshadow
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2010 at 09:40 AM
carnival date changes

San Felipe "Chamber of Commerce" type organization needs to realize the importance of more predictable dates for events. They have changed this event twice and paella festival at least once. This leads to reduced attendance. People need to be able to plan for trips to San Felipe and make hotel reservations etc.

Ron San Felipe Oct, Nov. Feb. Mar. April. remainder in Juneau Ak
Bajajorge
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2010 at 09:49 AM

Isn't that the festival where they blow up "A bad person" in effigy(sp):?: that they have hoisted some 25 feet above the crowd.? And when I say blow up,:o I mean they really do a good job. Burning ash comes raining down for some 200 feet around.:o:o:o
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2010 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajajorge
Isn't that the festival where they blow up "A bad person" in effigy(sp):?: that they have hoisted some 25 feet above the crowd.? And when I say blow up,:o I mean they really do a good job. Burning ash comes raining down for some 200 feet around.:o:o:o

That's it. "Burning of Bad Humor." It's mentioned in this article:

http://www.mexonline.com/carnaval.htm
Donjulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2010 at 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by akshadow
San Felipe "Chamber of Commerce" type organization needs to realize the importance of more predictable dates for events. They have changed this event twice and paella festival at least once. This leads to reduced attendance. People need to be able to plan for trips to San Felipe and make hotel reservations etc.

"People" need to realize that they need to quit b-tching about the way Mexico does things and enjoy it the way it is. "They" don't really care if 400 or 40,000 show up. They just want to celebrate and have fun. You have to remember these things aren't set up to cater to gringos.
alafrontera
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2010 at 10:52 AM

Quote:

"People" need to realize that they need to quit b-tching about the way Mexico does things and enjoy it the way it is. "They" don't really care if 400 or 40,000 show up. They just want to celebrate and have fun. You have to remember these things aren't set up to cater to gringos.

I lived in the Caribbean for 11 years and agree that Carnival is not about the tourists. OTOH when your economy needs a boost it would be smart to exploit the toursist dollars wherever possible.

low lattitude attitude
Donjulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2010 at 12:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I lived in the Caribbean for 11 years and agree that Carnival is not about the tourists. OTOH when your economy needs a boost it would be smart to exploit the toursist dollars wherever possible.

Alafrontera, I apologize for my aggressive response to your post. It was uncalled for. It bothers me sometimes on this board that so many who claim to love Baja and Mexico are so focused on whats wrong with it and what needs to change.

Mexico is Mexico and that is the beautiful thing about. That is with the corruption, the cartels, the bribes, the sunsets, the tequila, the fishing, the exploring, and every other wonderful thing about it.

There are seas and lakes and oceans and deserts and ruins and plenty more for people to explore in the US for someone that desires somewhere more "Americanized".

[Edited on 2-2-2010 by Donjulio]
akshadow
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2010 at 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Donjulio
Quote:
Originally posted by akshadow

I think you are wrong, a large part of the economy in San Felipe is tourism and the "Cotuco" mentioned is a business promotion group, the following is a quote from San Felipe web site"
"1 February 2010 - Monday. Luis and I have just returned from the meeting at Cotuco. Carnival will be held in San Felipe on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday - February 12, 13 and 14. Many hotels have lowered their rates for this weekend and most are offering Sunday night free if you stay two nights (Friday and Saturday)."

akshadow
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2010 at 04:35 PM
b-tching?

I thought I was making an observation. The dates of the carnival are not important to me. I will be in San Felipe when I plan to be, not because of a certain event. The locals b-tch about their economy and the lack of US tourists. There are some things that are under the control of the local business owners such as scheduling of events like this. There are other items like US economy and border problems that are not under their control.

Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 2-2-2010 at 07:18 PM

Can anyone tell us which hotels are offering Sunday night free with 2 night stay. I;ve tried the San Felipe site but can't find anything about it. K

http://www.pyramidresort.com
011521-646-119-9445
Donjulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2010 at 08:23 AM

Actually my apology above was supposed to be to akshadow not alafrontera. I even screwed up the apology. Time to have more coffee.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2010 at 08:57 AM

Quote:

"1 February 2010 - Monday. Luis and I have just returned from the meeting at Cotuco. Carnival will be held in San Felipe on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday - February 12, 13 and 14.

Given these dates, this is no more a Mardi Gras than Christmas would be if it were celebrated in July. Shrove Tuesday is, this year, on the 16th, the day before Ash Wednesday and Shrove Tuesday IS Mardi Gras.
Don't get me wrong...there's nothing like a good party, but it's not Mardi Gras.
Anyway, party on.
By the way, you want to see a real Mardi Gras in Mexico? Be in Mazatlán.
--------------

"Mardi Gras celebrations can start as early as January 6, on the feast of Epiphany. The festivities end at midnight on Tuesday--the day before Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent. Mardi Gras day falls on any Tuesday between February 3 and March 9. Like Ash Wednesday, the date Mardi Gras falls on depends on the date of Easter--always occurring 46 days before Easter."

http://www.history.com/content/mardigras/history-of-mardi-gr...

[Edited on 2-3-2010 by DENNIS]
Donjulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2010 at 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

"1 February 2010 - Monday. Luis and I have just returned from the meeting at Cotuco. Carnival will be held in San Felipe on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday - February 12, 13 and 14.

Given these dates, this is no more a Mardi Gras than Christmas would be if it were celebrated in July. Shrove Tuesday is, this year, on the 16th, the day before Ash Wednesday and Shrove Tuesday IS Mardi Gras.
Don't get me wrong...there's nothing like a good party, but it's not Mardi Gras.
Anyway, party on.
By the way, you want to see a real Mardi Gras in Mexico? Be in Mazatlán.
--------------

"Mardi Gras celebrations can start as early as January 6, on the feast of Epiphany. The festivities end at midnight on Tuesday--the day before Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent. Mardi Gras day falls on any Tuesday between February 3 and March 9. Like Ash Wednesday, the date Mardi Gras falls on depends on the date of Easter--always occurring 46 days before Easter."

http://www.history.com/content/mardigras/history-of-mardi-gr...

[Edited on 2-3-2010 by DENNIS]

I am not sure how that ended up as a quote from me or the one above about Cotuco either. I never said either one of them. Those quotes someone obviously copied and pasted from kats korner at sanfelipe.com.mx

Nothing major but obviously not something I said.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2010 at 10:37 AM

Quote:
Nothing major but obviously not something I said.

I know what you mean. When dealing with these multiple quotes, they can really get screwed up in the boxes.
OK...You're off the hook. :lol:
akshadow
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2010 at 05:58 PM
carnival

Anyone who can should come down and enjoy the town and the things it offers. Weather should be better by then and a good time is available to all.

Some of the quote problems were probably mine since I get confused about how it works.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.