BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Look out above!! Or is it below?
OCEANUS
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2010 at 02:10 AM

Dern
Thank you for this post. I too am a surfer who has integrated SUP into my marine exploits. Like anything new, there will be some resistance. I'm also a skier who remembers the days when snowboards came onto the scene. I am guilty of slinging similar criticisms their way, but now accept them as part of the canvas.

Here in SoCal, where SUP use has increased dramatically, there is an understanding at surfspots like San-O and Doheny that SUPs are restricted to certain areas so as not to congest the line up or compete with surfers. For the most part, everyone gets along. Again, time will heal the minor grumblings.

What excites me is the versatility of SUP. I can take it out on any day, in almost any condition, and have a blast. Slow/Fast, touring/working out, fishing/wildlife viewing...the versatility is vast. Not to mention that my daughters (6 and 8) who began riding along on the nose and are now paddling their own litlle Cosco doyles alongside - I love the one on one I have with them while on the water.

Here is a picture my wife took one morning last summer in front of our place in LA Bay...yet another way to enjoy one of our favorite places.

HHHBOLASUP.JPG - 47kB
DERN
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2010 at 10:13 AM
Great Photo

Glad to hear someone else is on the same page as myself.

DERN
DERN
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2010 at 02:51 PM
Whoa!!

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
Defined and not so refined

As in: I was calling myself a super kook.....barney, what have you......
I gather that is not how you read it!
Well, apology issued for an unintended insult. You must read the bottom of all my posts......:cool:

Quote:
Originally posted by DERN
Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
This uber kook wants to know if he can try it in the bay.........:smug:

Franko, Paco, Soulopatch,

What does Uber mean??

Edit for spelling...see, I am a kook.
FrankO, PacO, CulO, BesO, BarrachO y mas y mas y mas

Frank,

I'm not gonna go on the sparin' match with you "Fire Crotch to Fire Crotch." I didn't know what "Uber" meant. Thanks for enlightening me. It's nice to hear you call things on yourself.

Have a nice day and I'm sure that that "Emergency 51" bell will ring soon to switch thing up on this lovely Friday.

Love, DERN

[Edited on 3-12-2010 by soulpatch]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-12-2010 at 03:06 PM

Quote:
What does Uber mean??

Given that Jerry Brown is running for Guvernator, and nomads don't know meaning of über (except MrBillM who every day listens to "Deutschland über alles"), we need to dust off our LPs and listen to Jello Biafra's great song "California über alles:"

I am Governor Jerry Brown
My aura smiles
And never frowns
Soon I will be president...

Carter Power will soon go away
I will be Fuhrer one day
I will command all of you
Your kids will meditate in school
Your kids will meditate in school!

[Chorus:]
California Uber Alles
California Uber Alles
Uber Alles California
Uber Alles California

Zen fascists will control you
100% natural
You will jog for the master race
And always wear the happy face

Close your eyes, can't happen here
Big Bro' on white horse is near
The hippies won't come back you say
Mellow out or you will pay
Mellow out or you will pay!

[Chorus]

Now it is 1984
Knock-knock at your front door
It's the suede/denim secret police
They have come for your uncool niece

Come quietly to the camp
You'd look nice as a drawstring lamp
Don't you worry, it's only a shower
For your clothes here's a pretty flower.

DIE on organic poison gas
Serpent's egg's already hatched
You will croak, you little clown
When you mess with President Brown
When you mess with President Brown

[Chorus]
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2010 at 06:21 PM

:?:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2010 at 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
What does Uber mean??

[Chorus:]
California Uber Alles
California Uber Butt-Ugly
California Uber Alles
Uber Alles California
Ubber Ugly
Uber gross
Uber Alles California

I tried to tell you, Dern. :lol:
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2010 at 08:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
I need to apologize, sorry. I just see these guy's on these cumbersome, non performing paddleboards and wonder if we are going backwards. In Ca paddleboards were used in the 40's and 50's to surf, it didn't work out, so surfboards were introduced. Surfboards have come and gone but they've improved dramatically, and the surf has gotten much more crowded and competitive. Then you put a novice on a crappy board with a paddle that can catch waves, before the other surfers but can't surf for crap. Because of poor board and lack of experience, you rob the surfers that have worked for years to perfect their sport, of waves, not right. Tell Laird, he's only in it for the money. By the way I started surfing in 1961, I've been doing this awhile and have my surfboard on my Jeep everyday. If you didn't have a paddleboard could you still surf?

You have some very valid points. Also for your location, the population of surfers is much greater than our area. (Morro Bay)

I started surfing at the age of 12. (1982) It became my life. If I didn't surf at least twice in a day I was peeed. We had that shortboarder mentality. Hated longboarders, boogieboarders Etc. "Drop in on that old man, you can beat him down the line!!!" That was our thinking at the time.

Now that I'm older (39) what do I own? Longboards, Fishes, Sup's, Kayaks.

I probably will never charge the surf on my Sup. (Don't have to worry about me in the line-up.) Things are just way too big up here. However, flat water paddling inside the Bay is very appealing to me. I enjoy it. Also the whole estuary/mangrove/fishing deal in say...Abreojos, La Bocana, Mag Bay, San Ignacio is a bonus to me for this sport.

On that note, Yea Hamilton is in it for the money. He's earned it though.

Yes, I can still surf even though I have a Sup.

Dern

[Edited on 3-12-2010 by DERN] [/quote

Dern, for the most part the SUP guy's realize their handicap and stay away from the surfers. How did Laird earn it?
DERN
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2010 at 08:39 AM

Quote:
Dern, for the most part the SUP guy's realize their handicap and stay away from the surfers. How did Laird earn it?

I don't know all the inside details. My basic point is that he earned it by being an all around waterman.

Dern
hdn2mx
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2010 at 12:37 PM

Old school but with age I have definetly changed my ways.
Been shortboarding since 1968. Hated longboarders then spongers. Then after getting fustrated surfing tiny waves on shortboards finally started to longboard small waves. Every now and then I'd longboard bigger waves for the fun of it. I found out how fun longboards were given the right circumstances. Like Abreojos or Scorpion Bay 1 to 3 feet.
Now SUP comes along. Tried it and hate to say but love it too. Now I'm 51 and feel like a kid again learning to surf on this thing. Very humbling to say the least.
Surfed some killer waves this winter in south Baja that were pushing double overhead on the SUP, not like shortboarding, but incredibly fun. And when it's small or flat, nothing compares. Can't wait for East Cape this summer. Have fun, get in the water.
RT
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2010 at 06:41 PM

There is a good read as to the surf culture on sups in Bloody Decks surf and ski forum. Plus some real surf knowledgeable clown trying to get out in Hawaii. I think SUP is a misnomer should be labeled POS. I especially like the clown sticker, and hope to have one soon. There is already enough clowns in the lineup.
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 07:53 AM

that pic of oceanus in la bay is the PERFECT example of what a sup should be used for.that is a beautiful picture and is something i would enjoy doing .they should not be in the surf lineup with regular surfboards as they are dangerous and do have a wave catching advantage over regular surfers, which adds fuel to the fire.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 09:06 AM

it must be summer again. UGH!!!

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pappy
that pic of oceanus in la bay is the PERFECT example of what a sup should be used for.that is a beautiful picture and is something i would enjoy doing .they should not be in the surf lineup with regular surfboards as they are dangerous and do have a wave catching advantage over regular surfers, which adds fuel to the fire.

might be fun in certain very uncrowded summer spots too...
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2010 at 04:31 PM

yep. i know one or two that might do...;D
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.