Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Laguna San Ignacio camping
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2010 at 07:14 PM
Laguna San Ignacio camping

Was planning to drive to Rio San Ignacio, but was told by 3 people that the road was in terrible shape after the storms, so decided to go on to Laguna San Ignacio to camp. Found a spot about 1/2 mi. past the airstrip, on the cliff above a nice beach. I was the only camper as far as I could see - the entire area is full of indigenous debris - found a small matate, hundreds of scraper tools, midden sites. There is a layer of the cliff - don't know how far it runs along the cliff - I walked at least 100 yards - that is decomposing turtle shell., which must have been a staple for their diet. Also a large variety of birds here - watched an osprey, and I believe I saw a wood stork too. I could see many whales in the laguna with binoculars - I didn't go out on pangas.

A indigenous hatchet blade:

The cliff strewn with scraper tools, shells, turtle shell, and turtle bones:

SiReNiTa
Special Correspondent

Mood: Savoring life while saving the world!

[*] posted on 3-8-2010 at 07:21 PM

If you get a chance to go back I would recommend a walk down to the mangrove area, there are tons of amazing birds and bones to be seen.
Also if anyone is heading down that way and is interested in birds there is a great guy that studies them and that is glad to take an interested listener or two on a fab walk with his binoculars!! His name is Paul and he is staying at Kuyimita.

Also if you are interested in fossils, at pachico's camp, which is the first campsite you come across on the road in to the lagoon, they have a fossilized sea urchin bead, which is pretty cool, all of the people there speak great english and are eager to talk about the conservation efforts that they have taken part of, including having showers with 2 Liters of water :o:lol:

Make sure you bring a windbreaker and a nice warm jacket!!

BTW great pics!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Live life as well as you can,
don\'t regret the things that once made you smile,
learn from your mistakes,
and thank God for every second he gives you upon this earth.

Visit me at
Http://BajaScents.Scentsy.com.mx

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.