BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: death valley re visited.
baron
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2010 at 06:14 PM
death valley re visited.

OK dudes....
After just crossing the TJ border last nite (1 1/2 hrs) I find myself in a la mesa trailer park and still feel like I am on Baja time. For six weeks we camped every nite from my fwd (chevy) pickup with palomino camper down and around the Cape and up the Pacific. Now I want to continue the laid back camp scene in warmer places in and about the National Monument of DV.
Can someone tell me 3 to 5 perfectly reasonable places to continue that daily life style up in that area on my way North?
The pictures were great but camp spots is what I am now looking for.
Muchas gracias......
baron
stimbo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2010 at 09:50 PM
death valley

Quote:
Originally posted by baron
OK dudes....
After just crossing the TJ border last nite (1 1/2 hrs) I find myself in a la mesa trailer park and still feel like I am on Baja time. For six weeks we camped every nite from my fwd (chevy) pickup with palomino camper down and around the Cape and up the Pacific. Now I want to continue the laid back camp scene in warmer places in and about the National Monument of DV.
Can someone tell me 3 to 5 perfectly reasonable places to continue that daily life style up in that area on my way North?
The pictures were great but camp spots is what I am now looking for.
Muchas gracias......
baron

If you want a campground, there are several in the National Park:
Furnace Creek
Sunset
Texas Springs
Stovepipe Wells

These all have water and restrooms. If you want free camping, you can go to "dispersed" areas. You will have to go to the Park Headquarters at Furnace Creek and get directions. There are too many to describe here. The flowers should be on the verge of blooming. Your timing may be good. Jim
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-14-2010 at 09:54 PM

IMO, the best of the developed campgrounds is the Mesquite Spring campground. It has the best separation of sites of the developed ones. It is also the closest to some of my favorite "attractions" in the Valley; Titus Canyon and Rhyolite, Ubeheebe and The Racetrack. And you're not that far from the dunes near Stovepipe Wells. Of course, "far" is a relative term; in DV, the distances are great between the attractions. It is a huge place.

DVNP is still allowing dispersed camping in self-contained vehicles in various parts of the park. Here is a map that shows the developed sites and the areas where dispersed camping is allowed.

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2010 at 08:27 AM

Never would have imagined they would allow dispersed camping in a NP. BLM lands and National Forest are great and you can unleash your dog!
Now for a suggestion for warm north of the border camp sites, try the Colorado River areas or the Salton Sea.
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 3-15-2010 at 09:03 AM

The Stovepipe Wells campground looked very nice (we saw it a few weeks ago). All the basics, hookups, water, showers, rest rooms. And if you want some civilization, there is a nice bar/restaurant right across the street. Excellent central location in DV, good food, friendly people, que mas quieres?? ++Ken++

carpe diem!
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2010 at 09:12 AM

No hookups or store at Mesquite Spring. That is part of the appeal.

In mid March, areas above 3000 feet will be very comfortable during the day but still nippy at night. The valley floor can already be quite hot during the day.

If this was April, I would point you towards the area around Wildrose and the camping areas near Aguereberry Point. Pinyon pine camping with a view of the valley floor. Nice!!!! But possibly too cold at night.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2010 at 09:12 AM

We like Stovepipe Wells the most because it and Furnace Creek are significantly warmer than the others in the winter time. Furnace Creek, however, is too crowded for our taste. Those low elevation campgrounds seem to warm the fastest and hold those temperatures longer.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2010 at 09:36 AM

Mesquite Spring is only 1800 feet. It should be nice with this high pressure holding.

The CG at Stovepipe is OK. I just dont like the sounds of all the traffic coming down 190 from Trona or Lone Pine. And there will be traffic this week as this is THE major spring break week in the US.

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2010 at 09:57 AM

If you plan to explore the west end of the park and need hookup try Panamint Springs. Good restaurant across the street with local ales on tap!

Darwin Falls, Wildrose, Charcoal Kilns, and Saline Valley all within 60+- min drive.
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2010 at 11:02 AM

I've been a fan of Texas Spring for the central location. No hookups but water and a dump station are available and just off the valley floor to block out moderate (but not high) winds.
Sunman
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2010 at 12:27 PM

If you are looking for some solitude follow the road out of the Stovepipe Wells campground past the airport and out into Cottonwood Canyon, tons of off the grid camping opportunities.
baron
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2010 at 10:09 AM

thanks for all the input. Quiet is key when I go camping so the solitude of hidden places is appealing. Right now I am trying to pretend the sound of the freeway in the early morning ratrace is the sound of the sea shore. It kind of works......

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.