BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Headed South! Am I crazy?
rogerj1
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2004 at 03:50 PM
Headed South! Am I crazy?

The first window of time to drive to Baja since I got "the fever" is quickly arriving for me. I've been going over old posts to get ideas for places to stay and places to eat. My main concern is I'll be coming down in mid-August. Exploring the pacific coast should be fine, it's the sea of cortez side I'm worried about due to the temperatures. I'd originally planned on going all the way to San Jose and then heading over to Mazatlan on the ferry from La Paz, then heading up the west coast. I've got about 2 weeks to do this. Any opinions about whether this is a viable idea or not? If I only go to bay of LA and Mulege is it worth the drive across the desert?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-16-2004 at 04:24 PM

Roger, if you REALLY have 'Baja Fever' and August is the ONLY time you can treat your illness... THEN GO!

Your fellow Washingtonian Debra (aka Travel Pearl from Port Orchard) is at Camp Gecko now...

When it is hot, find some shade, an ice cold Pacifico, and vegetate!

Naturally, if your rig has A/C then cruising across the desert is no big. If not, then travel before noon.

Going all the way to Mazatlan seems too much for just two weeks... Our 15 days in Baja trip (Dec. '01) to Cabo and back (30 min. in Cabo was enough!) seemed rushed! http://vivabaja.com/baja15

There is just SO MUCH BAJA, and 2 weeks is SO LITTLE TIME! Going to Mazatlan would mean just 0ne week in Baja, also.

The important thing is you are going (somewhere), just enjoy yourself and don't be rushed!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2004 at 09:49 PM

I'll second that, Grover. For several years we drove to La Paz from Whidbey Island, but didn't have a two-week limit--which would mean a lot of time on highways, with very little in Baja.

Lera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 7-17-2004 at 07:25 AM
anywhere on the sea of cortez side

in august is great if :
1. you like to fish , and
2. you have air conditioning in your car AND IN YOUR ROOM AT NIGHT!!

OR, if neither of the above apply, you like to torture yourself!

Mazatlan is a fantastic place too. The ferry over is a good idea but you need more time to include that IMHO.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 7-17-2004 at 02:30 PM

As others have suggested, I would skip the ferry to Mazatlan this trip...can be done, but you will feel as all you did is travel.

If 2 weeks equates to 14 days (hey, my accounting background make it equal what ever the quarter requires) this will leave you about 10 days in Baja. If you plan your locations you will have an enjoyable trip to include La Paz. With your money you could not entice me to head to Cabo (We live in the Los Angeles area so we don't need to see anymore of LA South). AC is almost a must for enjoyment and relaxation...although have done without. As much as I love the BLA, in August it is not much more than a blast furnace in our opinion. And whoever suggested AC for night was possibly providing the best advice you could have...if not you (read I) would never feel rested.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2004 at 03:06 PM
Hey Roger

I live in Port Orchard. As David said I'm at Camp Gecko right now. COME ON DOWN! :biggrin:
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2004 at 03:23 PM

Please get the guide book "The Magnificent Peninsula: The Comprehensive Guidebook to Mexico's Baja California" by Jack Williams. You will not regret it. Two weeks in Baja is what you need, forget about the ferry on this venture.
Have fun!
Bob H:yes:
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2004 at 07:50 PM
Being from Washington should be considered:

I have a com;letely dofferent View of the problem of heat. guess some of the posters don't like to Sweat[its good for your system,cleans your pours etc.

Been around Baja since 1968, lived in loreto on the Beach North and never had AC, had 67 windows and 6 Fans. Remember if you caan camp, find a place close to the Water so that you get the on and off shoreflow of Air.

Driving in the interior AC in your Car is Nice, AC in La Paz at night it is best for Sleeping in the Daytime and roving at Night>

I would go no further that Bay of San Carlos{West of Cuidad Constution} on a two week trip. I would stay in San Quintin,get up early and go to Guererreo Negro, then to San Carlos Bay. All Three somewhat Cooler than those places on the Sea of Cortez because of their being close to the Pacific.

i would stay at the La Pinta in Loreto as it has two story Rooms, is next to the Beach and is Cooler than other locations, one floor up makes a difference in the on shore flow!

Slowdown and save some for the nest trip.

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust'
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2004 at 08:35 PM
Baja Mapper Says...

that he loves you Skeet, but the bay is called Magdalena (Bahia Magdalena) and the town is Puerto San Carlos.:saint:

Just in case Rojer was using a map...:yes:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2004 at 09:24 PM
Other side of the coin...

In 1972 I drove the unpaved peninsula to La Paz, took the ferry across to Mazatlan and drove back to Los Angeles. We had a blast and the entire trip lasted 9 days (a weeks vacation). Would I recommend it now? Of course not. But is do-able in two weeks.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2004 at 05:28 AM
David K.

Picky! Picky! picky! Just like my beautiful Wife, she always sees the Trees , I always see the Forrest!

I do appreciate you Noble efforts in getting the Correct Spelling and Locations names etc. Keep up the Good Work.
To us "Ole Farts' we know where we are going with out the map, we use Triangulation and Landmarks instead of GPS and Maps, more fun than having it all spelled out by someone else, takes the excitment out of the Adventure if you always "Know whats around the Corner or over the Next Hill".

Usins that are Baja Southerners still have many places that have not been trod by People, Motorcycles,dunne buggies and Such ,as you have in BOLA{Bay of Los Angeles is the Correct Name} or is it "Pappa Diaz's Turtle Camp"?

Skeet?Loreto

"In God I Trust"
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 7-18-2004 at 06:40 AM
la pinta at MMLT

Hey Skeet, K Pasta?

the La pinta had AC last time i stayed there. but the 2nd floor is good for the morning view. hard to negotiate the stars when tipsy though!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2004 at 08:38 AM

Skeet, I will pass along your thoughts to 'Baja Mapper' LOL!

I never use BOLA/ bow-la (ugh!)... Bahia de L.A. or L.A. Bay for short.

Papa (Antero) Diaz was the dynamo there. I first met him in 1967 (and Dick Daggett Jr. too) and last saw him in 1984.

How about a story on Ed Tabor, perhaps start a new thread?

rogerj1
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2004 at 11:44 AM
Thanks for all the good advice!

It would be hard for me to consider this trip without the feedback and information I've picked up reading this forum these last 3 months. Even though I'm heading to Baja by myself, I know that I'm only an internet connection away from the rest of you. That makes it a lot easier. It also helped me persuade my wife I needed a laptop!:lol:
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2004 at 12:56 PM

If you have a WiFi enabled laptop, here's a HotSpot in Rosarita Beach

WiFi Free Mexico

Pueblo Plaza - Blvd Benito Juarez #4356 - Playas de Rosarito, Baja California

According to the directory this is one is free if you have the built in WiFi or a WiFi PC card.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2004 at 07:47 PM

Call me crazy but I actually prefer the summer months. The key to a good trip is to slow way down. Get to knowhere quickly and then slow the heck down. Summer also acts as a great filter...it keeps the fair-weathered folks at home.

There are many options depending on what you're looking for. Don't let everyone talk you out of the Cape region. One of my favorites trips is to cut over to Pt. Conejo. Then, head south along the incredible sandy beaches until you hit Todos Santos.

If you have time, cut across the mountains to the East Cape. Hopefully the waterfalls will be flowing along the way. Also, the views towards the Pacific are incredible. Treat yourself to a night at one of the hotels along the East Cape. Then, spend some time in La Paz.

Anyways, as DK says, so much Baja, so little time.

Have fun!

Zac

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.