BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New Fishing Laws in Washington?
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 04:41 AM
New Fishing Laws in Washington?

Soon enough it will be time to migrate north from HOT Baja. This is usually a time of great anticipation and planning...for lots of fishing adventures along our beautiful northern Pacific shores of Cal, Ore, Wash, BC, and Alaska.

I 'was' planning a couple-week stop on the Washington Coast & Puget Sound this spring..until I received this letter from an old Baja friend who is in Washington at this writing.

Here is his letter...edited for privacy and brevity:

"My best Baja Amigo,

Roger, this is a very welcome good news for you, but not so good for me and (his wife). Reason is that, as I am writing this response, while looking at the frigid waters of East Sound from window of our vacation house on Orcas Island, we are over 2,000 miles up North from you. Therefore it is unlikely we will catch this great early spring Dorado run with you. So that you, my favorite Baja fishing buddy, feel even better about your luck, I can give youthe up to date newest sad news from the over regulated Washington state inhabitted mainly by very "Green Hippies". In case you think I am kidding you again, please just log on Washington state GOV and check their new "Sport fishing regulation" that just went in effect from May 1, 2010. What a great "Sport fishing" it is to sit freezing in your boat, catching bad pneumonia, then when luckily some retarded fish takes your artificial lure and you landed it in your boat you have to throw it right back, under penalty of huge fines and possible imprisonement?

Here it comes, after I have spent almost $100.00 on non-resident fishing annual licence:
From May 1 you can not keep a single specie of rock fish and so you do not hurt them if they accidentally take your hook you can not bottom fish in deeper then 100 feet. Here goes by the way side your Baja Pinto Bass derby?

All lake trouts caught have to be immediately released. Right now is open 3 weeks only long season for Lingcod. One can be only kept in in between lengt something like between 27 and 31 inches in length. Good look at that. I do not have regulations handy, to give you precise span of inches, since they are in the car and (his wife) drove to jazzercise. Salmon season is also like only one month long. So is Halibut season. Most of fishing must be done with barbless hooks. Good luck in pulling them up without losing. You probably could do it, I could not. Please try it one day for me down there on Dorado to practice for when you visit us here on your summer Trailering to Alaska? No wonder I never caught anything to write my grandmother home about in the 8 years we have been plowing these frigid waters in our sailboat?

On another subject ......"......................................................
....."...you must know the fascinating story of the Hungarian Emigrant Mr. Pulitzer about his hard nose competitive fight with leading American publishing companies, upon his pennieless arival in this land of plenty. I am only so proud of him, because then I was his countrymen. My little Bohemia was then under the foot of Austro-Hungarian empire for some 300 years ending in Versaille treaty ending WW 1 in 1918. We then become part of big bear Rusian Empire from 1948 till 1989. That is what you get by beeing born in a tiny 10 million people nation. You do not know how lucky you are being born in the most powerfull nation on our quickly worming up planet. You are enjoying the highest living standard mankind even knew. So much for today. And remember to leave few Dorados down there for us, when we come in the fall?

Your fishing buddy "JOSE GARCIA para servirle"

--------------------

Well, shoot... this new Washington fishing info might change my vacation plans for visiting the Washington Coast..and spending any money there for that matter.

Anybody up that way got any further light to shed on these new regs?

Pros & Cons?

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 05:07 AM

There are so many reasons for the poor fishery in my beloved Wash. And the regulators/ fisheries folks are more than 20 years in the rears on a conservation program. It had gone down hill when I left in 92. About the same time as it happened here. It is a mystery to the lawmakers & fisheries experts why the resources are in the condition they are. Must be global warming:no:

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 05:36 AM

Russ, Lot's of issues remain mysteries to our lawmakers. The fisheries experts know what's going on. There's just too many hooks, too many nets, too much money, toss in the modern electronics that allow fishermen to pin-point the fish and it's adios to the fish.:no:
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 05:41 AM

Like I mentioned "many reasons". Add to your your list seals, forestry practices, "native americans" netting rivers & streams. On and On the list is almost endless.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 06:19 AM

Yep!:bounce:
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 08:05 AM

Latest:,

Seals are limited to 5 fish, of any species, per family per week. Special permits required for fishing rivermouths.:no:

:biggrin::biggrin:

All kidding aside,
Roger, I just wrote a buddy, who lives in Westport, and if I get a response, I'll let you know.

[Edited on 5-14-2010 by vandenberg]

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 09:21 AM

I was also planning to head to Washington for some salmon fishing this summer (maybe follow Pampano around so he can show me all the best spots!). I'll be interested in what the locals have to say here.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Soon enough it will be time to migrate north from HOT Baja. This is usually a time of great anticipation and planning...for lots of fishing adventures along our beautiful northern Pacific shores of Cal, Ore, Wash, BC, and Alaska.

I 'was' planning a couple-week stop on the Washington Coast & Puget Sound this spring..until I received this letter from an old Baja friend who is in Washington at this writing.

Here is his letter...edited for privacy and brevity:

"My best Baja Amigo,

Roger, this is a very welcome good news for you, but not so good for me and (his wife). Reason is that, as I am writing this response, while looking at the frigid waters of East Sound from window of our vacation house on Orcas Island, we are over 2,000 miles up North from you. Therefore it is unlikely we will catch this great early spring Dorado run with you. So that you, my favorite Baja fishing buddy, feel even better about your luck, I can give youthe up to date newest sad news from the over regulated Washington state inhabitted mainly by very "Green Hippies". In case you think I am kidding you again, please just log on Washington state GOV and check their new "Sport fishing regulation" that just went in effect from May 1, 2010. What a great "Sport fishing" it is to sit freezing in your boat, catching bad pneumonia, then when luckily some retarded fish takes your artificial lure and you landed it in your boat you have to throw it right back, under penalty of huge fines and possible imprisonement?

Here it comes, after I have spent almost $100.00 on non-resident fishing annual licence:
From May 1 you can not keep a single specie of rock fish and so you do not hurt them if they accidentally take your hook you can not bottom fish in deeper then 100 feet. Here goes by the way side your Baja Pinto Bass derby?

All lake trouts caught have to be immediately released. Right now is open 3 weeks only long season for Lingcod. One can be only kept in in between lengt something like between 27 and 31 inches in length. Good look at that. I do not have regulations handy, to give you precise span of inches, since they are in the car and (his wife) drove to jazzercise. Salmon season is also like only one month long. So is Halibut season. Most of fishing must be done with barbless hooks. Good luck in pulling them up without losing. You probably could do it, I could not. Please try it one day for me down there on Dorado to practice for when you visit us here on your summer Trailering to Alaska? No wonder I never caught anything to write my grandmother home about in the 8 years we have been plowing these frigid waters in our sailboat?

On another subject ......"......................................................
....."...you must know the fascinating story of the Hungarian Emigrant Mr. Pulitzer about his hard nose competitive fight with leading American publishing companies, upon his pennieless arival in this land of plenty. I am only so proud of him, because then I was his countrymen. My little Bohemia was then under the foot of Austro-Hungarian empire for some 300 years ending in Versaille treaty ending WW 1 in 1918. We then become part of big bear Rusian Empire from 1948 till 1989. That is what you get by beeing born in a tiny 10 million people nation. You do not know how lucky you are being born in the most powerfull nation on our quickly worming up planet. You are enjoying the highest living standard mankind even knew. So much for today. And remember to leave few Dorados down there for us, when we come in the fall?

Your fishing buddy "JOSE GARCIA para servirle"

--------------------

Well, shoot... this new Washington fishing info might change my vacation plans for visiting the Washington Coast..and spending any money there for that matter.

Anybody up that way got any further light to shed on these new regs?

Pros & Cons?

as one who grew up fishing puget sound as a kid in 1960s and 1970s, i am saddened by relatively lower fish stocks in puget sound today.

i welcome limits on fishing to restore puget sound fish stocks.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 12:16 PM

mtgoat666, Agree. :D It'll take time, but the fish will recover. All they need is a little help.:D
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 04:43 PM

i really don't know if i want to get in on this but....this is where we live so we have a fairly sound finger on the pulse of what's happening here...in a nutshell, it's the same thing that has happened anywhere else where ya let the resource get away from ya...everybody wants a chunk of it and there's just not enough to go around given the fact that "everybody" wants a lot....the 120' restriction on bottomfish in washington really hurts, it really does...but these fish that are 30 or 40 years old and are really pretty stupid, are being fished out...look at the bright side,"there's lots of fish to be found in shallower water"..really..and..this new regulation doesn't affect halibut fishing; you are still allowed to fish halibut deeper than 120'...tons of new rules and red tape..and it's tough....the chinook fishery last summer in puget sound, in particularly the straits of juan de fuca, was the best in decades...roz and i experienced that personally ...and this year is predicted to be even better....yeah..there's restrictions and it affects us all, but sometimes it's what it takes to turn things around...it's not all doom and gloom..i think that for a long time we were a bit out of control with "consumption" issues.....as a final example to this tirade i would like to use the implementation of the net ban in the southeast area of the u.s...."this is an outrage!"..."taking away our heritage!"....the redfish population was just about GONE from all of that area....check it out and see if that worked...lotta guys down there now making a living as redfish guides....they are back in HUGE numbers...ok..i'm gone

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 05:04 PM

The WA 2010 fishing regs are available here: http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/regs/2010/2010sportregs.pdf

If salmon are your game, the season seems fairly liberal, but the Puget Sound area is divided into lots of different zones, each with unique salmon rules. Maybe this is normal for Washington people, but it is dizzying to me. Most zones seem to be 2 fish per day limit with 22" or 24" min. length for chinook and no wild fish allowed. No size limit on other salmon. I did not read all of the zones, so this may not be accurate to all areas.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2010 at 06:35 AM

Thanks for your comments.

Have decided to take The Coast Road, visit amigos while raiding thier refrigerators, and will probably not buy a non-resident Washington fishing license. Timewise.. in our case just a week or two.. the restrictions narrow the windows of opportunity too much. As the expression goes.."we have other fish to fry".....Up North!

I look forward to this always scenic trip through the Pacific Northwest... for many reasons other than fishing.

(Sharks...save me some of your delicious seafood in Newport. Hasta pronto.)

bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 5-19-2010 at 09:09 PM

Need a house sitter, well, 'er, boat sitter Pomp?

[Edited on 5-20-2010 by bajabass]

[Edited on 5-20-2010 by bajabass]
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2010 at 10:54 PM

We here in california would kill for the 'bad' fishing that washington is experiencing.

In addition to the restrictions being added for low fish stocks we have to deal with marine preserves now that IMO have little to do with managing fisheries. These aquatic parks don't even allow catch and release fishing. The idea being that the healthy stocks in these parks will migrate to surrounding areas and be available. How far does a cabezone move over a lifetime? Frankly I'm amazed the public puts up with this.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2010 at 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Thanks for your comments.

Have decided to take The Coast Road, visit amigos while raiding thier refrigerators, and will probably not buy a non-resident Washington fishing license. Timewise.. in our case just a week or two.. the restrictions narrow the windows of opportunity too much. As the expression goes.."we have other fish to fry".....Up North!

I look forward to this always scenic trip through the Pacific Northwest... for many reasons other than fishing.

(Sharks...save me some of your delicious seafood in Newport. Hasta pronto.)

Right on Rog! Well be here1 Save yer appetite, were only open for dinners!!

It's getting harder and harder to get some species. So far though we've been fortunate. Waiting for Salmon and some lower prices.:wow:

Fresh seabass manana. One of my all time favorite fish.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 5-20-2010 at 07:04 AM

Seems like we are all in agreement. :wow: While the state of the fishing industry, both commercial and sport is in dire straits (pun?), our disappointment must take a back seat to necessary emergency conservation measures.

Geez, how depressing! Life without fish and fishing is incomprehensible.
Hang in, Amigos. Perhaps these regulatory restrictions can eventually turn things around.:light:

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 09:06 AM

Pompano,
Here is a message I just received from a buddy in Westport, Wa.

About the fishing regs in Washington -- your buddy was right - Puget Sound there is a 1 rockfish limit. That is why nobody in their right mind pays for an extra stamp to fish the Sound. Out here on the coast there is a ten rockfish limit plus 2 lingcod limit for bottom fish. Starting June 1st, we have a 2 King Salmon limit season that will go until July 1st and then become an all species salmon season, allowing 2 fish( 1king and 1 silver or two silvers) until the quotas are met.

Doesn't sound all that bad, if the permits are halfway reasonable.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Pompano,
Here is a message I just received from a buddy in Westport, Wa.

About the fishing regs in Washington -- your buddy was right - Puget Sound there is a 1 rockfish limit. That is why nobody in their right mind pays for an extra stamp to fish the Sound. Out here on the coast there is a ten rockfish limit plus 2 lingcod limit for bottom fish. Starting June 1st, we have a 2 King Salmon limit season that will go until July 1st and then become an all species salmon season, allowing 2 fish( 1king and 1 silver or two silvers) until the quotas are met.

Doesn't sound all that bad, if the permits are halfway reasonable.

Ed..that sounds good enough for me. I'll be buying a license for the coastal fishery, but NOT the stamp for Puget Sound. We'll make that part the scenic tour for the remainder of our trip through Washington. Smell the dafodils and lavender..sample some local wines...ride a killer whale..the usual stuff.

Westport! Ah...I have fished Westport for salmon since the early 70's and always enjoyed that trip. We had some times there! We always sold part of our catch at these docks through a commercial license..& paid our fuel bill.

Great crabbing back then, too..along with razors and g-ducks. Ever shot a clam gun? ;)

The fishing we had/have at Westport used to be like this from Reedsport, Oregon last fall. Another great fishing spot on the Great Pacific Northwest.

Sigh..now I have to study up on Oregon fish reg changes since last season.

Here are a couple nomadic types fishing the Umpqua River out of Reedsport.

Opps..forgot to clean up the fish for the photo..ah well, it's the real deal.

Thanks for the head's up, Ed...Tight lines!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.