Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cell phones
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

shocked.gif posted on 7-21-2004 at 08:32 PM
Cell phones

I know this has been asked before......but, what is the best cell service provider for the Loreto area. I want a cell phone that gives me coverage here at home and does not cost and arm and a leg to call home from Loreto. Verizon sent me a bill for $500 for four 15 min. telephone calls to my wife. That is outrageous. Am I just better off buying the calling cards and using the public telephones? I have heard AT&T has a pretty good deal, but have no experience with them. Thank you, Sharky

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
rogerj1
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2004 at 08:43 PM
Verizon

I just talked to Verizon today. Their rate is .69 minute + .20 minute long distance. Not a bargain. What was interesting is they suggested I upgrade from the call anywhere in america plan to the call anywhere in north america. If you don't do this, you'll get hit with roaming charges.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2004 at 03:04 AM
SHARE & SHARE

Sharkey,

What's wrong with you, what about the stock holders? Many of them have no idea where thier next Lexus is coming from.

I use an MCI card purchased in the states,
.35 per minute, won't work on Mex pay phones.....Need a private line to access 800 #. Best deal I've found, Telmex cards are .50 per minute.....

I went to 1877Phonecards.com.....
cards there, Clear & Clean 7.7 per minute from states to Mexico.....

$20.00 = 260 minutes, no additional charges........

There's always the string & can!

El Vikingo
Germanicus
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2004 at 11:53 AM

I have seen an AT&T advertising .
They are offering a global service > America > Europe > everywhere > global.
Costs are reasonable.
about 60 c/min and $3 for the plan as far as I remember.
I will have a look again in the magazins if I can find it again.
Otherwise, why don't you go to the AT&T website and look for their service?
Hope it helps
Germanicus
Germanicus
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2004 at 02:17 PM

well, folks, I gotta tell you > nothing beats a German sqaw:(at least I know there is one among you guys who agrees 1000% with me)
I asked my sqaw if she remembers the ad from AT&T and she went through all the 'US News & World Report magazins and found it in an eyblink.
Here we are.
attwireless.com/international tells you all.
It costs $39,99 per month.
Tells you which device you gotta have ( not all cellphones are capable of connecting to Mexico)
Now from US to Mex it is $4,99 per month for the plan and 9cents per min.
From mexico to US > better forget it (69 cents) but call the US and tellem to call back might be a solution.
Guys, go and have a look by yourself > instead I made a mistake.
Go to 'wireless travel guide'
then 'Begin'
then 'North America'
then 'Mexico'
then 'Continue'
you'll find what you need.
I think it's a fairly good price > if you let the US call you back.
There are unlimited minutes at night, so???
Tell me what you think, o.k.?
Haver fun guys and don't forget the beer!
Germanicus
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2004 at 05:04 PM
Thank you

I guess the cheapest way to call home from Mexico is to buy the Telmex cards. 20 minutes for l00 pesos. I heard about AT&T and even visited their website. My buddy has his wife call him every night when we are there. I would rather not do that---I might be somewhere I am not susposed to be and she would hear something in the background.Thanks for all the help.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-26-2004 at 10:35 PM

PC-to-PC calls for free. Voice quality beats a cell phone. You need a mic for your PC. Most new laptops have them built in.

www.skype.com

'?I knew it was over when I downloaded Skype,? Michael Powell, chairman, Federal Communications Commission, explained. ?When the inventors of KaZaA are distributing for free a little program that you can use to talk to anybody else, and the quality is fantastic, and it?s free ? it?s over. The world will change now inevitably.?

Fortune Magazine, 16th February 2004'

[Edited on 7-27-2004 by JZ]
rogerj1
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2004 at 09:42 PM
Thanks JZ

You may have come up with my long distance solution. Find an internet cafe with high bandwidth, haul out my new laptop, which I'm typing this message on!, make the calls. How easy is that! and free? I have to look into buying a ubs phone somewhere.
rogerj1
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2004 at 09:53 AM
Skype out

I just read a news release this morning about a new service called skype out. It allows you to connect to land lines, etc. from your PC. On their web site, it says the service is available in mexico city and monterrey. This is brand new, so there's more to come.
http://apnews.myway.com//article/20040728/D843R3E81.html

[Edited on 7-28-2004 by rogerj1]
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-28-2004 at 10:04 AM
$$$

I think they will try to charge money for that!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.