Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Towing 4WD
dbrooks
Junior Nomad

Mood: The shock treat

[*] posted on 7-29-2004 at 12:40 PM
Here's the plan...

Step 1: Sell the Dodge. All Dodge's = P.O.S.

Step 2: Buy an '83 Toyota.

Step 3: Tow Toyota anywhere you want to go - without messing with anything.

Toyota's are indestructible.

Any questions?
Germanicus
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2004 at 01:01 PM

jr, > summary:
you said it's an power ram with manual box, o.k.?
With a manual box you don't need to take the powershaft out.
A manual box in "nutral" (which is not called nutral but "no gear") no popwer from the rear axle is transfered to the box.
> you know that, I guess. If there is any gear in and you are releasing the clutch, the engine wants to crnak.
So no gear > no power > as the clutch disconnects the engine from the box.
So. if it is a manual, you can tow it to the moon without damaging anything.
Talking battery.
It depends on whether or not you wanna drive by night.
If you do not disconnect the battery and the guy in the vehicle beeing towed needs to signal anything to the guy upfront, he just needs to put the ignition on and he can honk the horn, he can flash the headlights etc.
It remains the question whether or not you wanna run the engine all the times.
But its the safest way to tow, nobody ( as samrt as can be, can deny that)
I said it already, without engine power you got no power steering, no power brakes. (indicator just works with "ignition on".)
So, breaking in an emergency might run the second car into the first one.
Think asbout it, only with engine running you got all the features you need to operate a vehicle safely.
It is maybe not so much about sagfety than demaging one vehicle.
A dead engine makes no power at all and all the breaking, steering, indicating is just difficult.
Germanicus
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2004 at 01:27 PM
Dodge Toyota Towing

dbrooks, I just got the dodge because it was a really good deal. It is for hauling bamboo around and it now has rack made out of bamboo to haul more bamboo around with. Toyotas are great, I've always disliked dodges, but it was an offer I couldn't refuse. And I'm poor!
Gernanicus. I will be using a tow bar to tow the truck. The only person I could think of putting in the towed vehicle for 800-900 miles would be my ex wife. And, there's no need for that anymore :lol:
Thanks everyone again for all the help.
I'll see if Doug can put a picture of the old piece of crap on here.:lol::lol::lol:
senor pumpwire

smile.gif posted on 7-30-2004 at 10:25 PM
Towing 4wd

Hi JrBaja, the key to towing anyvehicle is to make sure the parts that will move and need lube get lube. If your front hubs are manual, unlock them, and roll the truck while watching the front driveshaft. If it doesnt turn, they are unlocked and you are good to go for the front. If the hubs are auto locking just push the truck forward and make sure the front driveshaft is not turning. Next thing is the rear axle. The rear axle will make the driveshaft spin, which will spin the tailshaft of the transfeercase. If the t-case is designed so the lower parts of the t-case turn when the tailshaft turns then gearoil will be moved around in the t-case and will lube the tailshaft bearings. If a moving tailshaft doesnt turn the lower parts that sling the geearoil you probably would damage the tailshaft bearings. If it is like the driveshaft on my old 2wd Mitsubishi it is easy to take off the shaft to tow, just make marks on the drivewshaft and rear axle flange so you can install it in the same balanced location. You may need to plug or blockoff the place where the rear driveshaft eneters the transfercase to prevent leaking fluid. One way to do that is to leave the shaft in the t-case and just wire the rear end of the driveshaft up out of harms way. There would be heck to pay if the engine was started and the gears engaged without reconnecting the shaft!!!!! Good truck, good luck. Dave.
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2004 at 01:32 AM

Bob and Susan,
Bajalou is absolutely right about the American to Japanese wiring. The little "box" that keeps you from pulling your hair out when trying to make all the lights work has "Diodes" in it. Most all of the Truck and Trailer rental places sell them too. I have no idea "How they work", but they are a necessity for ease of wiring.

The directions for the gear selections are for my 1984 Suzuki Sidekick and straight from my dog eared owners manual. The Sidekick and the Samurai are all but identical. I also didn't mention to turn your front hubs to "Free" not "Locked".
---------------------------------------------
JR,

Senor Pumpwire covered All of the info and More, that I received late today from another Mechanic friend. All of his info is good and accurate.
----------------------------------------------
Senor Pumpwire,

Thank you very much for the timely information.

Bedman
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-31-2004 at 02:11 PM

Bedman

Yea, I have that "magic box" I put a trailer hitch on the rear end.

I don't think it has enough power to pull too much, though, but I think it will pull the trash trailer to the dump near our place in Mulege.

The Suzuki is sure different from my Dodge 4x4.
No Locking hubs on the Dodge.

Thanks for you help.:yes::tumble:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2004 at 12:07 AM

Bob and Susan,

You'd be extremely surprised at the number of vehicles I've rescued from beaches all up and down the peninsula. Maybe as surprised as the owners of those vehicles!! hehehehe.... The little SuzyQ that can. They're light enough to walk over the soft sand where the Big boys think they can go, but can't and rock crawl with the best of them.

I used to have a Big Brute Landcruiser. V8 350ci with TRW pictons and rings, Holly double pumpers, small 3/4 cam, headers, hi rise intake, 4-11 gears, Turbo 400 with inline shift yadda, yadda....

I love the sound and power of a Big 8 but the Suzy Q goes and goes and goes. And there is a ton of accessories for it. And I love the way they tow.

Did I mention I really like my little 4x4 ?

Bedman
senor pumpwire

[*] posted on 8-1-2004 at 07:53 AM
Towing FWD Sammys do Rock!

Hi Bedman, you are welcome for the info! i love to talk rigs. I agree that Sammys do rule. Next to my lightly modified vans I think the best baja combo for extended trips would be a fullheight
short WB lightly converted schoolbus towing a Samurai. Or a Samurai towing a small geartrailer that converts to quick sleeping quarters in case of rain. For the money and practicality I think Sammy and the bronco II are the most underrated wheelers ever in common use. Keep on cruising those dirt highways!!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-1-2004 at 08:22 AM
See Bedman's Photos, including his Suzuki:

At http://vivabaja.com/bedman2 (2002) and http://vivabaja.com/bedman (2001)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2004 at 09:34 AM
Toads

Bedman ,you are right about Sammys! I towed my '88 1/2 over 40,000 miles including about 20 in gear one time at 60 MPH, when I discovered it ,the temp was so high it was steaming,I figured it was done for, after cooling off it started and ran fine! I pulled it with my 27' Class A M/H and when I had to go down a very steep grade like the Strawberry Valley to East Quiicy California road, crossing the Feather River ,I would put it in 4WD and 3rd gear to help hold the M/H back!!
I sold both rigs when I quit fultime R/V ing but now have a '98 Geo Tracker with a hard top, not quite as good due to coil springs but still has completed 186 K with only a clutch replacement recently. Its towed to Baja regularly and loves the sand.
I miss my Sammy rock crawler!!!

mcgyver
Nomad

exclamation.gif posted on 8-1-2004 at 09:45 AM
Toads

An addition to my earlier post and inreference to disconecting batterys on "Sammy's and Geo's I never had to disconnect anything, both of mine had an "Accessory"position on the key and thats where I put it on both of them.
For hooking up the lights use a diode, all auto parts stores have them.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-1-2004 at 10:05 AM
Bedman's Suzuki at Las Pintas Fossil Grotto

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2004 at 12:31 AM

Thanks for the foto David. That's my little Suzy Q and Daisy the Fastest runnin, Skinniest, most Lovable Gurly dog in Baja. She can lick your face in the wink of an eye and be 15 feet away befor you can wipe off the wet kiss.

And here's cool item, you can buy at Harbor Freight Tools (I love that place) A 6,000 pound (rolling) winch that attaches to a regular ball hitch. Weighs about 25 pounds and is about the size of a bread box. 30 feet of 5,000 pound cable and a wired remote switch. Hook the battery clips up and away you go. I haven't used it yet, but I sure like it's size.

Bedman
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2004 at 12:47 AM

McGyver,

Your Sooo right. I sometimes amaze myself by the number of things I forget. (Or do automatically and don't realize it.) I turn the key on to the "Accessory Position" for two reasons.

#1 To unlock the steering wheel (most important)

#2 To assist the Towing vehicles battery in lighting up the brake, running and turn lights.

Bedman
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-2-2004 at 05:53 AM

Boys and their toys!!!

Susan

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2004 at 01:14 PM
Bedman

How much for the winch ?
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2004 at 07:06 PM

JR, I bought 2 of them a year ago and haven't even used mine yet...... Gosh...it's still in the box! they were cheap...like $69.00 U.S. !! I'll have to check out and see if they still have them.....if you want one let me know.

The label reads as follows:

"CHICAGO"
ELECTRIC POWER TOOLS
#43331 Portable winch, 12 volt
Capacity: 6,000 lbs rolling
2,000 lbs pulling
5,000 lbs Marine cable

Bedman

Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2004 at 08:01 PM

JR,
On a whim I went to Harbor Freight tools and looked up item #43331 and the winch popped up. Check it out at http://www.harborfreight.com/

and I was a little off on the price.......it's $59.99

Bedman
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2004 at 08:45 PM
Muchas gracias Amigo

2 winches, a block and tackle, a ground anchor,
so far up to about $300.00 u.s.,
I can be visiting all parts of Baja in my lowered Ford Pinto :lol::lol::lol:

Great info Bedman, I will be checking it out and unfortunately, probably having to use it. :lol::bounce:
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.