Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The El Triunfo Music Museum: Nicolas Carrillo
bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

Mood: Hot & humid --- not hot & dry.

[*] posted on 10-3-2010 at 12:19 PM
The El Triunfo Music Museum: Nicolas Carrillo

May 2010

This is a definite must see. For anyone. Not just music or piano lovers. This is a gem of a find!

It's right on the main road, and just one block from where you access the old silver mine and walk to see the smelter chimneys and ruins. My friend and I had a personal concerto played for us by the museum director, Nicolas Carrillo, who was recetly featured in the the Baja Pulse newspaper (PDF). After another person came looking for us, she, too, sat down and joined us. Even though we were holding up our 7-vehicle motorcade tour, out of respect we didn't get up and leave before Nicolas finished. This was so touching that my friend had tears in her eyes.

We wound up buying his CD. The museum is free, and needless to say, you should leave a small donation (recommend $P50). According to friends in La Paz, he's been performing around La Paz for at least a decade before taking this position as curator.

Watch this video of our personal performance; I think it's Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata? Video of the museum outside. See images below for May 2010 piano update. My links are to my own servers & websites --- it doesn't require memberships or signups like MSN, Yahoo Groups, etc.

[Edited on 10-3-2010 by bryanmckenzie]

[Edited on 2010-10-5 by bryanmckenzie]
Baja&Back
Senior Nomad

Mood: Rarin' to go South!

[*] posted on 10-3-2010 at 01:53 PM

I love it when we walk in & the Maestro is in full tux with tails.

That 1820 Steinway is worth more than the whole village!

Barry & Vanda
Baja and Back RV Tours
Vancouver BC Canada / Baja
http://bajaandback.com
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 10-3-2010 at 02:07 PM

bryan...we have seen nicolas perform many, many times and never tire of it...we just found his cd in the bottom of our glove box yesterday and have played it a couple of times today...quite the person..we're heading south tomorrow so will have it in the cd player for the trip

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 10-3-2010 at 02:13 PM

also...in a conversation with nicolas a couple of years ago we discovered a unique aspect of his music....nicolas has had a stroke in the past and because of that is forced to exist with his head at a pretty pronounced slant..because of this he has had all of his sheet music printed on a slant also so he can read it when he plays...kind of a unique twist to this story

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2010 at 06:34 PM

There is so much magic in Mexico!

Iflyfishinwondersometimes
bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

Mood: Hot & humid --- not hot & dry.

[*] posted on 10-3-2010 at 09:33 PM

Thanks Michael. Very interesting. When we met him, it was obvious something had (medically) happened to him. Stroke makes sense. I was guessing (to myself) something along those lines.

Did you have a chance to watch the short video of him performing? See link above photos (WMV format).

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
also...in a conversation with nicolas a couple of years ago we discovered a unique aspect of his music....nicolas has had a stroke in the past and because of that is forced to exist with his head at a pretty pronounced slant..because of this he has had all of his sheet music printed on a slant also so he can read it when he plays...kind of a unique twist to this story

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.”
-Mark Twain
Samuel Langhorne Clemens (November 30, 1835 – April 21, 1910)

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.