Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: SENTRI passes
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 8-4-2004 at 01:44 PM
JR

You are wrong on this one. If you applied or looked at the lanes you would find that about 90-95 % of the people are Mexicans who live in Baja. Not just gringo's.
The plan is to expand the Sentri lanes as the demand increases. This will probably have more negative impact on the tourists because more and more people who live in Baja and work in the US are applying for the Sentri passes--they say it beats getting up at 2am to sit in lines to go to work----
So for you it may hold many pluses--fewer tourists and more Mexicans getting ahead and enjoying the good life by not having to wait in line for 1 to 3 hours before going to the States to earn then money that puts them in the middle class in Baja.
Think about it.
I have it because I do business in both countries and cross often.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2004 at 02:08 PM
Don't know the statistics Bernie

But I do know that most all my neighbors and their families have them and they come down about once a month if that.
I obviously was mistaken as Carol informed me, for the reason for the pass. It is for everyone rather than just the people who live in Mexico and work in the states. Sorry.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2004 at 02:15 PM

We have SENTRI. It's great.

We have a house 26 miles north of the border and one 30+ miles south of the border and we cross often.

We like to visit Tijuana restaurants and our favorite liqour store often and it's always nice to know you can get out hassle free.

We will drive down to La Fonda :biggrin: and other places just for dinner or to catch the evening glass off at the point.

When we have other people in the vehicle we usually come home via Otay. If your timing is bad (say 3-4 busses just dropped off) at San Ysidro you can have a LONG wait for those walking across.

Campers are NOT allowed in SENTRI lanes.

When we were in the SENTRI office most of the folks applying were Mexican Nationals who worked in SD county.

System was designed originally for 18,000. Now carrying 70,000+. Expansion soon.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

marla
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2004 at 03:32 PM

I wish I were better at finding Otay Mesa. The first time I tried to find it, after a search I accidentally ended up in the truck lane which was a nightmare. The second time it was by luck. The third time was coming back from Baja at New Years when they had shut down San Ysidro lanes as too crowded. I panicked because I didnt know where to go and ended up just jumping behind a red van with Chula Vista license plate holder whom I had a hunch knew how to get to Otay Mesa and was going there. I stayed on his bumper the entire way which was scary because he was driving 150 mph, I think, and sure enough he was going there. Though he seemed to take some back way that had me panicked for a moment. Crossing was longer than before but still better than San Ysidro. I guess if I did it often enough I would get used to it.

If a man walks in the woods for love of them half of each day, he is in danger of being regarded as a loafer. But if he spends his days as a speculator, shearing off those woods and making the earth bald before her time, he is deemed an industrious and enterprising citizen. Henry David Thoreau
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2004 at 03:52 PM

follow signs to aeropuerto

pass by aeropuerto

follow signs to garita de otay/san diego

:spingrin:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2004 at 04:08 PM
You've made it 3 times Marla

You should be a guide!:lol:
It does seem complicated at first but there are 2 really easy ways if you are coming from Rosarito or south.
Both involve taking the free road into Tijuana. You can either go straight all the way to the airport following the signs or you can turn right at the top of the hill on the free road where it says "La Mesa Tecate". Go towards Tecate, stay on the same road and it takes you right up there.
Easy.
Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 8-4-2004 at 08:06 PM
Marla

I guess I am also challenged when it comes to Otay Mesa. It is simple after you have done it a couple of time in the daylight. But until you get the hang of it you feel like you are wandering around one of those English gardens that has no exit (a maze).
Not a piece of cake like San Ysidro.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
marla
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2004 at 11:36 AM

OK you guys I will try it again! And try to get the hang of it. Next time I will bring a detail map of Tijuana and then I won't be so concerned about geting lost and wandering around forever.

If a man walks in the woods for love of them half of each day, he is in danger of being regarded as a loafer. But if he spends his days as a speculator, shearing off those woods and making the earth bald before her time, he is deemed an industrious and enterprising citizen. Henry David Thoreau
whodat54321
Nomad

Mood: trying new stuf

[*] posted on 8-5-2004 at 11:50 AM

map world (or map centere) in Scandia Plaza, by the sports arena has guia roji foldout maps for $9. best map I got for TJ
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2004 at 01:03 PM
By the way,

I was semi lost this morning in Tijuana trying a short cut to the office depot. :lol:
Not really lost, I just couldn't get there from where I was. hahahahahahaha.
Keep in mind, Tijuana isn't all that big. And it sits in a valley.
If you go out of the valley to the north, you will end up at the border or the airport.

If you go out of the valley to the south, you will end up in Playas or Rosarito.

If you go out of the valley to the east,
( and you really are lost if that's the case), you will end up in Tecate.

When you check out your new Tijuana maps, you will see how small it really is.
Except for the cab, bus and truck drivers, business women talking on the phone or putting on makeup and not paying attention, hidden stop signs and one way streets all going the wrong way, it's a breeze!:lol::lol::lol:
Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 8-5-2004 at 07:52 PM
JR

Now you got that one right!

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.