BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: US citizen needs flights for cancer treatment
omar3627

[*] posted on 11-7-2010 at 02:59 PM
US citizen needs flights for cancer treatment

I am a geologist and 4th-time cancer patient. I am working on a guidebook to Baja geology. To that end, I need to finish what I started this past winter. I hope to sail the coast of Baja, in our Drascombe longboat (21 ft open sailboat), from San Felipe to Santa Rosalia in late Dec-Feb 2011. The hitch is this. I need to fly out and back in late Jan (around Jan 23-26) for cancer treatment, ideally to Tucson but San Diego would work. At the same time, a friend would fly in to sail with my husband for about a week. It looks like Bahia de los Angeles would be a good place to fly out of. Maybe San Francisquito. Can anybody put me in touch with someone who could provide air service?

I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me.

valdesca.blogspot.com
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-7-2010 at 07:26 PM

Mikey.....

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2010 at 07:36 PM

Mike ...

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-8-2010 at 05:45 AM

i am unable due to contract commitments that keep me on a short chain.
i'd post a note on BBP if i was you, you'll likely find someone going in and out. with whom you can usually hitch for gas.
good luck.
i can't even do the Sams trip next weekend. bummer but work is work...

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-8-2010 at 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
i'd post a note on BBP if i was you, you'll likely find someone going in and out. with whom you can usually hitch for gas.
good luck. ...

Perhaps you can do that Mike, ... edit (bonanza bucko stepped in)...

I am looking forward to seeing this Baja geology book...Good luck Omar!

[Edited on 11-8-2010 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

omar3627

[*] posted on 11-8-2010 at 09:27 AM

Thanks for the responses. BBP does require a $49 membership fee. If you think that this route is likely to work, I could do that. I do have some flexibility in when I go, until I schedule treatment that is.
bonanzapilot
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2010 at 09:49 AM

Omar, I am a cancer survivor, and a member of what is now called Bush Pilots International.. I guess we will be BPI.. I will go over now to our website, and post your trip needs. I have no particular plans to fly to Baja on the calendar, but will think about your needs, and take a look. Meantime until Nov. 13 we will be in the USA, and will post any replys back to this website, or U2U email. Regards, and keep up the good fight!
omar3627

[*] posted on 11-8-2010 at 10:19 AM

Thanks, bonanzapilot. I will watch for postings.

Claudia Lewis
PhD geologist
Drascombe longboat sailor

Check out my blog at valdesca.blogspot.com on last winter\'s Sea of Cortez voyage.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2010 at 10:26 AM

I will look forward to see your book published... Baja has so much geology and is where I began having an interest in becoming a gelogist, back in the 1960's!

This is the only book I have now on the subject:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

omar3627

[*] posted on 11-9-2010 at 08:54 AM

The Minch volume is good...as far as it goes. I have used it several times on road trips. It sure makes the drive go faster. There has been a lot of geological research done in the Gulf region in the last 20 years that is not covered in that book, areas near San Felipe, Puertecitos, Bay of LA, Gonzaga Bay, Loreto, La Paz. There has also been substantial work on the islands in the Gulf. I'll do my best to cover what I can.

Claudia Lewis
PhD geologist
Drascombe longboat sailor

Check out my blog at valdesca.blogspot.com on last winter\'s Sea of Cortez voyage.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2010 at 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by omar3627
The Minch volume is good...as far as it goes. I have used it several times on road trips. It sure makes the drive go faster. There has been a lot of geological research done in the Gulf region in the last 20 years that is not covered in that book, areas near San Felipe, Puertecitos, Bay of LA, Gonzaga Bay, Loreto, La Paz. There has also been substantial work on the islands in the Gulf. I'll do my best to cover what I can.

That would be great...

The thermal springs along the gulf coast are interesting as well. I am sure there must be more than the 'discovered' ones? (El Coloradito, Puertecitos, Bahia Concepcion, San Cosme/ Agua Verde)...

I look forward to seeing your work!

David

bonanzapilot
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2010 at 11:52 AM

Claudia...now that I know your name... I posted your needs on two other pilot's websites, and will monitor and report through the end of this week, when I depart on a cruise ship. A couple of complications for you to consider. It would be a rarity for a pilot to be leaving that part of Baja and returning after your trip to the US. You'd best be thinking of hitching a ride from different planes, coming and going. Secondly, Eapis reporting requires the pilot to electronically report his manifest which would include your passport number, addresses, birthdate. You might offer to pay for fuel to entice some charitable action. Fuel is about 1/4 of the cost to actually operate an airplane. If you get some hits, be prepared to supply what I have told you about. Good luck to you, and Godspeed in your cancer battle.
beercan
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy to be in Baja

[*] posted on 11-28-2010 at 03:25 PM
I live in the area--

There is a good possibility that I will be flying out and back from/to Puertecitos to Tucson in that general time frame. No promises at this time , but I will have to PU my brother who lives in Tucson and return to PRC . Send me a contact info. /U2U if you don't have a commitment.

* libs, all about choice until you choose different
* B. Hussein Obama - an Empty Suit for Empty Minds.
* Annoy a liberal - Work hard and be happy!
* Arguing facts & truth to libs is like bringing a warm smile to a gun fight.
* Lets win the War on Terror

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.