Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Copper Canyon via car?
newtobaja
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 02:37 PM
Copper Canyon via car?

Hi folks,

We are in San Francisco. Drove all the way to the cabos last dec. This year, thinking of making the trip to copper canyon via car.

- We can do drive down to santa rosalia via San Diego, take ferry over to Guaymas and then drive to El Fuerte and then do the CC trip

- Or we can drive to La Paz and take ferry to Los Mochis and start the trip
- Or we can simply drive via Arizona to Sonora and then to El Fuerte for the CC trip.

Esp interested in the Arizona to Sonora driving option - Is it safe? faster?
Has anyone driven up the copper canyon instead of taking the rail option? I assume there shouldn't be any issues?

thanks
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 02:41 PM
COPPER CANYON I, II, III

the train ride is incredible and IMHO should not be missed. not the same by car ... you can leave car in el fuerte, take the train, return and pick the car up ...

under search, type in copper canyon and you will find 3 reports I put up !!! I will try and include a link here ....

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=47353#pid5410...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=47357#pid5411...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=47386#pid5597...

WELCOME TO BAJANOMADS :bounce::bounce::bounce:

[Edited on 11-21-2010 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Baja&Back
Senior Nomad

Mood: Rarin' to go South!

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 02:49 PM

DON'T do yourselves a disservice - TAKE THE TRAIN.

Drive to El Fuerte. Take the train at 8AM about $80 to Divisadero or Posada Barrancas. Hotels there run $180 inclusive. Hotels in Creel from $40. You wont regret it. Cheep train =$40.

Research it all online.

Barry & Vanda
Baja and Back RV Tours
Vancouver BC Canada / Baja
http://bajaandback.com
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja&Back
DON'T do yourselves a disservice - TAKE THE TRAIN.

For sure. It's only one of the most dangerous places on earth and tourists in controlled environments are safe.

If you haven't read it, and I doubt you have after seeing your plans, "God's Middle Finger" is a must if you're to have an understanding of the danger of the place. You can get the book at Amazon...Barnes and Noble as well as other book dealers.

Have a safe trip.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 03:09 PM

Well, the last time we drove to Creel was in 2007 and we would do it again. We love driving through that country side and like to go to Mata Ortiz on our way. We do not go through Nogales- but I think getting car papers now at one of the smaller crossings is a problem---not sure and if you drive, I would check on that---probably the RV Net forum on RVing in Mexico would be a good place to look for the latest information on that.

From Creel we like to drive out to Divisadero and as far beyond as possible for the views and we have also driven down to Batopillas which we very much enjoyed.

We took the old train a number of years ago from Creel to Los Mochis. The best part is from Creel to El Fuerte, however.

rob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 03:48 PM
Copper Canyon

We drove down into both Batopilas and Urique (in different canyons) in my diesel - trip of a lifetime. Also took the train trip from El Fuerte to Creel and bus down into Batopilas - scenic but no comparison.

Dennis notwithstanding, all trips to remote areas that are in engaged in the drug business have an element of danger. I have been directly challenged by armed guards in the Mendocino mountains and have never had a moment's anxiety in the Sierra Madre. Go figure.

If you go via Arizona, you have a freeway all the way to Hermosillo if you want - after that its over the Sierras on good roads. DON'T travel at night.

en-route-to-Batopilas.jpg - 38kB
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rob
We drove down into both Batopilas and Urique (in different canyons) in my diesel - trip of a lifetime. Also took the train trip from El Fuerte to Creel and bus down into Batopilas - scenic but no comparison.

We have not driven down to Urique, but for us, our drive down to Batopilas was also better than the train ride as far as views, and experiencing one of the canyons, and I still have some knuckles that are very white. Also the drive out to the Lost Mission was GREAT.

The train we took many years ago, however, was a real treat. It was a car out of the 1920s-30s. But that was when it was still a dirt road to Creel. We started our train ride in Chihuahua.

All is well worth seeing.

One pix we took on the way down the canyon

Juanita's a great place to stay---just remember to tell her to turn on the hot water when you want to shower

[img]
[/img]

Plaza

[img][/img]

The Old

[img][/img]

And the "new"

How ever you go, it will be a great trip

[Edited on 11-22-2010 by DianaT]

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 02:55 AM

The train thru the Copper Canyon from El Forte to Creel is a wonderful trip, etched in my memories of Mexico as one of my favorites.

That being said, Dennis is not making this up. I would indeed encourage others to read God's Middle Finger, it is hair raising indeed.

It saddens my heart to see what happened recently in Creel.

http://tinyurl.com/2f93vbm

Iflyfish
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 11-26-2010 at 09:18 AM

Consider crossing at Columbus, New Mexico if you want to go to Mata Ortiz. Then on to CC. Stay overnight at Mata Ortiz instead of Casas Grandes. Visit Creel, Batopilas, etc. Drive to Divisidero, get a nice room, leave your car there and take the train to El Fuerte. Overnight a couple nights here, return and continue your drive adventure. Depending on what you're interested in, there is a lot to stop and see.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 11-27-2010 at 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by newtobaja
Esp interested in the Arizona to Sonora driving option - Is it safe? faster?
Has anyone driven up the copper canyon instead of taking the rail option? I assume there shouldn't be any issues?

thanks

I helped organize a Copper Canyon driving trip in '06 that tackled the Copper Canyon region in '07. Some issues that stood out during winter travel was:

1. 16" of snow changing our travels from "easy" to "most difficult" on many of the dirt roads that line the various canyons in the region.

2. Rugged conditions - such as;

knowing where to purchase your gasoline when gas stations don't exist.

being able to change a tire on a dirt road, possibly in the snow with an icy base.

3. Travel in possibly dangerous pueblitos lining the Rio Fuerte;

know the latest information in order that you are aware if you plan to drive alone.

be aware that Mainland Mexico's backcountry is not as safe as Baja's.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2010 at 06:34 AM
Driving permitted our 4WD group to get out and walk around as opposed to following a preset schedule

"Good Road" to Paraiso del Oso
http://www.justruns.com/gallery2/d/6403-2/Good+road+to+Paria...

Our lodging in Cerocahui
Paraiso del Oso (a.k.a. "Oso Hotel") - Cerocahui, Chi, Mex.
http://www.mexicohorse.com/

[Edited on 11-27-2010 by Ken Cooke]

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 11-27-2010 at 01:51 PM

I understand that the drive from the rim to the bottom takes 8 hours with AN EXPERIENCED DRIVER :?:

Bob Durrell
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 11-27-2010 at 05:34 PM

Bob, not even close to that, I have done it three times; it seems like a long time, but it is a good, if a little narrow, gravel road of many switchbacks. Will never know what it is like in the snow.:lol::lol::lol:

We always cross at Douglas and visit friends at Colonia Juarez and buy some pottery in Mata Ortiz.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2010 at 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Neal Johns
Bob, not even close to that, I have done it three times; it seems like a long time, but it is a good, if a little narrow, gravel road of many switchbacks. Will never know what it is like in the snow.:lol::lol::lol:

We always cross at Douglas and visit friends at Colonia Juarez and buy some pottery in Mata Ortiz.

Some of us just can't pass up that pottery!

Bob----at times, it only FELT like 8 hours---on those parts that Neal says are "a little narrow" I was busy finding religion and praying no vehicle would be coming the other way. :biggrin:

After the Batopillas road, the famous hill on the Freedom Road dropping into the Bella Coola Valley in British Columbia was one of those, when does the dangerous hill begin---opps, we are down it already. :biggrin:

Both are wonderful places to visit.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2010 at 11:55 PM
El Divisadero en la nieve

Quote:
Originally posted by Neal Johns
Will never know what it is like in the snow.:lol::lol::lol:

Neal, it can be a little cold in late December in El Divisadero.

Here is the train stop at El Divisadero at the lunch tables.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2010 at 12:04 AM
Gas stop in Cerocahui

Gassing up the Jeep with the missing shock absorber. :o

The dirt roads turned to mud, and there are absolutely no guard rails to speak of! This Jeep had been to Urique the day before - I stayed in Cerocahui to go horseback riding instead.

newtobaja
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2010 at 10:01 PM

thanks for all the responses. Looks like for the time being, we will be arm chair travellers to the Copper Canyon area. Hopefully until the security situation improves.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by newtobaja
thanks for all the responses. Looks like for the time being, we will be arm chair travellers to the Copper Canyon area. Hopefully until the security situation improves.

Be sure to consult with Doug Rhodes at Paraiso del Oso (a.k.a. "Oso Hotel") - Cerocahui, Chi, Mex. http://www.mexicohorse.com/

He will have the latest information since he lives in the region and can tell you how the security is improving there.

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
I understand that the drive from the rim to the bottom takes 8 hours with AN EXPERIENCED DRIVER :?:
since I have not been there I was just repeating what the EXPERIENCED DRIVER told a friend of mine that was there last year. Soory:rolleyes:

Bob Durrell
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2010 at 09:04 PM

I posted my Copper Canyon 4WD video on-line. Enjoy!:bounce:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.