BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Mexican Employees > Trouble?
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2004 at 10:02 PM
I thought something

sounded familiar there:lol::lol::lol:
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2004 at 08:02 AM

I am new to this board and have been reading as many of the topics as possible to get a feel for issues and personalities. This topic and the garbage in Baja thread have seriously puzzled me...and I have a question or two or maybe three for Germanicus. Please don't construe this as hostile or disrespectful. It is pure bewilderment on my part.
Why do you want to start a business in a country you have never visited? Why Mexico and specifically Baja? How do you know you'll like it?
Germanicus
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2004 at 09:07 AM

Very good question, Elizabeth.
And upfront: you don't need to apologize for any question. (there are no bad questions, only bad answers) and in genaral, you can talk to me like to an old cow, I am not that sensitive if the question comes with a good tone.
My answer to you.

A) Why Mexico? I do concider the Baja not really as Mexico (hey guys no shooting please, I know that there are Mexicans living and it is their country) what I mean is, the Baja is certainly different from the mainland.
I did talk several times to the lawyer of the Mexican Consulate in San Antonio ( he is a Mexican !) and he made me believe that the Baja is some kind of an "unwanted child" to the mainland or the feds in Mexico City.
The Feds do not like to spend big money into the Baja.
He once said: "Over the time the Mexicans from Baja will all go to California, and the Gringos will develope the Baja."
True or not, maybe that's worth another posting.

B) Do I like it?
That's what I really can't decide at this time. I do not make up my mind about something I never have seen or I don't have knowledge about.
That's why I always said I wanna go for at least half a year for vacation to get the feeling and knoweledge.
Now, this garbage problem (not the employee problem) made me change my mind. I'm going without an RV first, just by car, for to get this feeling.
And because I do have certain offers from [yes friends already I might say] which are very encouraging.
And meanwhile we know that we can keep 'our little strip of Baja California" clean.
And that is important to us.

If we (I am happily married and my Deern [that's a German word] is a part of everything) decide, "yes" it is not that bad (the garbage problem) we will return to Texas and get the 5th wheeler and then stay for 6 month, a year ? >>> for to prepare our goals.

But there is C) We both are people who are eager to work. No, nothing like workaholics, we do like relaxing as well and a German beer (a Mexican as well) is always welcome for breakfast or lunch break.
But we like to work, kinda challange-work.
Our son is going to Hollywood, he got a contract there.
Why should we stay in Fredericksburg/ Texas?
Maybe someone will call us 'adventurers' in a sense of discovering new ventures, new business possibilities, in general new things, discovering and managing successfully the so called 'impossible'.
And keeping a strip of the Baja clean seems to many here impossible (I guess)

Well, we could have decided for the Dominican Republique.
And we looked at that.
Then we had serious thought with Belize.
Both very nice countries.
But somehow it was the Baja with all the opportunities and challanges.
No, we did not flip a coin.
It was a long process.
Somehow there was our son kinda point.
He is 25 now, still singel as he is smart, and he loves his parents. (no, no mothersson or wimpy one. He is a tough guy. just, we developed a good relationship to each other)
We on the Baja, he in Hollywood, that makes him travelling more easy than to the Dom.Rep. or Belize.
And he wants to come home every 4 weeks or so.

O.K., if some folks are throwing their garbage in front of our place every morning, that makes us leaving maybe again.
But we learned already (and that's the same all over the world) if you try to intigrate yourself into the existing systhem, if you go foreward towards the people who lived there for ever, if you are polite, not ''gringo snobby", if you help poeple in need of help,,,, in one word, if you try to be like those who own that land, maybe then we will succed.
Succed to live there with the locals together in harmony, and to succed in our business > which then comes automaticly(not: automatically).

If you got any other question(s) please don't hesitate to ask.
It seems to me that you placed your question for to figure out how somebody can have the guts to consider something like we do.
Right or wrong?????
or maybe you want to declare us as "crazy" ? LOLOLOLOLOL

Have a nice day and have fun with my answers if you like to.
Germanicus
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2004 at 09:37 AM
That

was a very good answer.
As far as the garbage is concerned, that isn't really an issue that can't be solved easily.
There are way more and much worse turnoffs about living and operating a business here as you will find out.
But, people that enjoy challenges thrive and do very well in this not so hospitable environment.:lol:
And I think your Mexican consulate friend may be living in the past on some of his ideas. Has he been to Baja ?
At this point in time, Mexico City is not only aware of Baja but focusing a lot of their attention on it! And it shows.
As far as the Mexicans leaving and the gringos developing, I wouldn't rule that out. But I am doing everything in my power to make that not happen in some areas. By providing jobs and a future for them.
Best piece of advice, hurry every chance you get because others are buying it all up as we speak.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2004 at 09:45 AM
quote: "Why stay in Fredericksburg Texas"

BECAUSE IT'S BEAUTIFUL! :biggrin:

I lived in Blanco for awhile, beautiful area.

Good luck on your adventure. :)
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.